Engineer 2 (E2)
Engineer 2 (E2)
- Location: Swindon, South West England
- Salary: Competitive
- Contract Type: Permanent
- Ref: R002801683
- Closing Date: 17 December 2019
• An E2 Infrastructure Engineer for Microsoft SQL Server DBA
• Based at our head office in Swindon
You will join our Infrastructure Engineering team, which provides design, build and non-production support services for the IT transformation delivery teams. You will provide strong technical expertise, enabling high quality technical solutions to be delivered at pace.
Who we're looking for
As a minimum you’ll:
•Have a proven track record in providing technical delivery through the design, build and implementation of database systems.
• Have a full appreciation of SQL Server databases and their associated technologies.
• Have in depth knowledge and experience of the following:
o Microsoft SQL Server 2008/2012/2014/2016/2017 (Minimum 5 years)
o Windows Server 2008/2012/2016
o SQL Server Integration Services (SSIS)
o SQL Server Reporting Services (SSRS)
o Transact-SQL (T-SQL)
o Securing databases and data
o Database design
o Performance tuning
o Upgrading between SQL versions
o Infrastructure as Code (Automation and Scripting)
• Be comfortable working across multiple projects and immersing yourself in a team.
• Be ready to share your expertise with our emerging talent.
• Build good working relationships with both technical and business stakeholders, gaining their respect and trust based on your knowledge and professionalism
• Have the ability and desire to quickly learn new technologies.
Experience and knowledge of the following areas would be beneficial:
• Cassandra, MongoDB, MySQL.
• SAP Data Services.
• DevOps tooling: Ansible, Jenkins, TFS, SonarCube, Puppet.
• Agile project management methodologies.
• Working with 3rd parties / suppliers.
What you'll be doing
Working with other Infrastructure Engineers in our delivery squads, you will be:
• Providing technical input at all stages of the delivery lifecycle, including consultancy to stakeholders.
• Providing guidance and direction to less experienced Infrastructure Engineers to help create fit for purpose designs and/or solutions to meet the team objectives.
• Capturing and sharing knowledge and ensuring use of documentation within engineering teams.
• Contributing towards driving decisions and helping remove blockers to drive forward implementation of technical artefacts.
• Acting as a point of escalation, working with and influencing senior stakeholders to remove barriers.
• Work with stakeholder/peers to understand how the technical infrastructure deliverables interlock with activities within and outside of the team and where required provide solutions to align with engineering principles and architectural strategy.
In addition, you will:
• Contribute to the ongoing maintenance of engineering principles, patterns and standards to reflect best practice and effective use within the organisation
• Build a network with other engineers/SMEs to understand best practice and emerging trends within engineering
• Act as an Infrastructure Engineering advocate across Nationwide, identifying good practices to adopt and sharing experiences, e.g.: through blog posts, tech talks at technical forums, knowledge share, etc.
• Develop capability of infrastructure engineering team by supporting recruitment and pipeline talent development, through coaching and mentoring
Our people’s success isn’t based on how long they spend at their desk. While you’ll have contracted hours, we offer a flexible environment. That might be working from home, logging on from other offices across the UK, or working part time or compressed hours. We want to know how you like to work. And if we forget to ask, please tell us. We promise it won’t affect your chances at all.
The extras you'll get
There are all sorts of benefits, including:
• a personal pension (most people put in 7% of their salary which we’ll top up by a further 16%)
• up to two days of paid volunteering a year
• family-friendly benefits to make life easier for parents and carers
• 25 days holiday (as of January 2020) with the ability to 'buy’ up to 10 days more holiday
• Access to an annual performance related bonus scheme
• Personal development. Support and training to help you to excel and develop your career.
Work with PRIDE
Why work for us?
At Nationwide, we’re here for our members and we put their needs first in everything we do. And now, more than ever, two things are helping us go from strength to strength: we put our customers first, and we’re known for being open, honest and trustworthy.
We’re also the world’s largest building society, with communities at the heart of everything we do. We aim to do the right thing for our members which helps set us apart from our competitors. But we need good people to help us do it. People who understand what we believe in and have the talent and drive to keep us successful.
At Nationwide we have a strong ethic of care, and a genuine concern for each other and our members. We recognise that our employees feel most appreciated when their thoughts and values are respected and considered. We are committed to creating a culture that recognises and truly values our individual differences and identities. If you’d like to be a part of an inclusive workplace where you can be yourself, where your talents are nurtured, and you feel empowered to contribute then please apply and help us in building society, nationwide.