- Location: Central London, London Area
- Salary: Competitive
- Contract Type: Permanent
- Ref: R002801795
- Closing Date: 24 January 2020
Position: Lead Engineer
Location: Central London
Salary: Competitive, reflecting experience
ESTABLISH HIGH-PERFORMING ENGINEERING TEAMS AND LEAD THE TECHNICAL DELIVERY OF OUR CUTTING-EDGE API ECOSYSTEM.
Take your career to the next level with Fintech-style developments, backed by a solid, household name, financial institution investing £1.2b in our technology. Building high performing teams plays a huge part in this transformation, which is why we need skilled Senior Engineers to work in our agile digital hubs.
The Nationwide technology strategy balances the need to build for the future with strengthening our core platforms. It will leverage key technologies such as Cloud and APIs to enable digital journeys and platforms for business model innovation, allowing us to generate insight from our data using analytics and AI.
We'll be moving into our new location at the iconic Post Building in Holborn, London early in 2020. Our head office will remain in Swindon, but we know Holborn is a great place to attract industry-leading talent within the Fintech capital of the world.
Our new base will house around 1000 colleagues and a new digital and data innovation centre for those working in Digital, Data, Engineering, Architecture, Test, Development Ops and Design specialisms.
Who we're looking for
As a Lead Engineer, you’ll provide technical leadership across multiple scrum teams within the Open Banking Hub in our new London office. You will use your extensive technical experience and your ability to influence others to help establish high-performing engineering teams and will lead the technical delivery of Nationwide’s API ecosystem. You will also be expected to bring innovative ideas on how to improve efficiency and improve ways of working.
What you'll be doing
You’ll be a technical lead or lead engineer with several years of experience leading innovative application or API architecture, design and development and building high-performing teams. Specifically, you’ll have experience of some of the following:
• Have a modern, collaborative leadership style and can lead by example.
• Managing and maintaining a highly available live service.
• Built services and applications using Java, developed components using a microservices architecture, with a deep understanding of RESTful principles.
• Designed, built and managed APIs. Time spent configuring and using DevOps tooling (such as Jenkins, Nexus/Artifactory, Selenium, Veracode, Kibana) will be beneficial, but not essential.
• Developed, tested and deployed software into a public cloud environment, preferably AWS, but Microsoft Azure or Google Cloud experience is also relevant.
• Usage of containerised technologies such as Docker, Kubernetes or OpenShift.
• Agile team experience, using the Scrum framework.
• Domain knowledge of Open Banking would be beneficial, but not essential.
The extras you'll get
If you put a lot in, it’s only fair you should get a lot out. So, if you help us do the right thing for our members, we’ll help further your career with us.
- Access to training to help you progress your skills and career
- Pension scheme where if you pay in 7% we’ll top it up to 23%
- Life assurance worth 8x your salary
- 30 days’ holiday plus bank holidays
- Option to ‘buy’ 10 days more holiday
- Access to a healthcare scheme
- Discount vouchers for various retail outlets
- Annual performance related bonus scheme
- Company car or allowance
Click apply today and send us your CV.
Please note: To help us do the right thing by our members, all applicants will be subject to a criminal record and credit checks.
Work with PRIDE
Why work for us?
At Nationwide, we’re here for our members and we put their needs first in everything we do. And now, more than ever, two things are helping us go from strength to strength: we put our customers first, and we’re known for being open, honest and trustworthy.
We’re also the world’s largest building society, with communities at the heart of everything we do. We aim to do the right thing for our members which helps set us apart from our competitors. But we need good people to help us do it. People who understand what we believe in and have the talent and drive to keep us successful.
At Nationwide we have a strong ethic of care, and a genuine concern for each other and our members. We recognise that our employees feel most appreciated when their thoughts and values are respected and considered. We are committed to creating a culture that recognises and truly values our individual differences and identities. If you’d like to be a part of an inclusive workplace where you can be yourself, where your talents are nurtured, and you feel empowered to contribute then please apply and help us in building society, nationwide.
You may also be interested in these related vacancies
Lead Test Engineer - Automation, CI/CD