Senior Manager Risk, Control & Governance
Senior Manager Risk, Control & Governance
- Location: Swindon Head Office, South West England
- Salary: £54,231 - £88,126
- Contract Type: Permanent
- Ref: R002801810
- Closing Date: 31 January 2020
The Risk and Controls agenda continues to grow for the Society and with it we are seeking to grow the First Line Controls Team for the Resilience and Agility community.
The Resiliance and Agility First Line Controls Team provide leadership and direction on controls across the first line and specifically:
- Lead the architecture, standardisation and optimisation of the Society’s control framework
- Lead and coach across the Community on Intelligent Control, a new approach aligned to Agile and DevOps ‘Ways of Working’ to ensure better value, safe and sustainable outcomes from Technology investment
- Lead on tooling and automation of control
- Manage and deliver best-in-class testing of the internal and external controls across the Society
- Drive testing remediation from the output of control testing
Who we're looking for
We are looking for a Senior Manager to join a new, bright and progressive team and lead on the evolution of control and the use of technology to support the operationalisation and testing of controls and so, if you are a control SME with knowledge, skills and experience of control frameworks, the operationalisation of controls enabled by technology, testing of control with a focus on security, data analytics and/or IT, or if you’re a technical SME curious to understand how control enables high performance we’d love to hear from you.
As a minimum requirement you’ll have:
- A degree or relevant significant professional experience or qualification
- Significant industry experience, including monitoring and assessment of controls and risks related to large/ complex technology environments
- Demonstrable experience in risk management, risk identification, controls assessment and management
- Leadership and management skills appropriate for a large complex technical area
- Strong Audit, Controls, Risk or Compliance background with an in-depth understanding of testing or audit methodology, risk and control analysis
- Excellent relationship management, influencing and core customer service skills
- Strong communication skills and ability to relate to and influence employees at all levels.
It's not essential but it would be nice if you:
- Are able to utilise a breadth of knowledge from across the wider technology and digital professions, strengthening the effective delivery of services
- Have solid exposure and understanding of regulatory landscape, with knowledge of current regulatory environment and developments impacting the banking/ finance sector
- Are a resilient and highly motivated self-starter who relishes a challenge
- Have well-developed coaching and mentoring skills and experience in line/team management and performance management.
What you'll be doing
With increasing member expectations, coupled with more industry and regulatory focus than ever before, the Risk & Control function plays a critical role in maintaining our service availability and our reputation. We are the trusted partner to both the Resilience & Agility community, and the wider Society, ensuring we operate in a safe, transparent and efficient way.
We provide strategic direction, insight and develop frameworks that drive 'best in class' management of operational risk to help deliver operational resilience, agility and enable the exploitation of new technologies within the Board's risk appetite.
We are delivering a Society-wide control framework, supported by an Operational Resilience management system, which will provide informed and data driven decision making, and enable a strong robust foundation for further optimisation of frameworks, processes and systems.
We help inform business and investment decisions through support and challenge and provide assurance through comprehensive first line controls testing. This will ensure we deliver resilient outcomes for members, colleagues and the Society, as we continue to build on our position of trust.
Key accountabilities will include:
- Setting the strategy, frameworks and standards that drive industry-leading risk management practice across the Community
- Provide strategic direction, risk insight and reporting that delivers ‘best in class’ management of operational risk to support risk-based decision making, resilience and agility within appetite for the Society.
- Simplifying and optimising risk, control and operational resilience controls and standards; removing duplication and enabling future opportunities for automation that enable the Society to achieve its strategic objectives,
- Set the standards for controls testing and assurance, to provide insight to Accountable Executives and leads the way for continuous improvement of the control environment.
- Exploit new technologies to improve efficiency of society-wide controls management, testing and insight, informing strategic decision making, and
- Provide expert advice on risk, control and operational resilience, to ensure effective 1st line risk and control management within the business,
- Provide constructive challenge to ensure the right outcomes for our members. So, the way in which we’re managing Risk and Operational Resilience at Nationwide is changing and we need a different type of person to join us. We are currently recruiting talented and innovative leaders as we build capability within the team focussed on Frameworks and Strategy, Reporting & insight and Controls Testing.
The extras you'll get
Our people’s success isn’t based on how long they spend at their desk. While you’ll have contracted hours, we want to offer a flexible environment where possible.
There are all sorts of employee benefits available at Nationwide, including:
• A personal pension – if you put in 7% of your salary, we’ll top up by a further 16%
• Up to 2 days of paid volunteering a year
• Life assurance worth 8x your salary
• A great selection of additional benefits through our salary sacrifice scheme
• Access to an annual performance related bonus
• Access to training to help you develop and progress your career
• 30 days holiday
• Status car allowance - £4,656 per annum
• Individual healthcare cover
Work with PRIDE
Why work for us?
We’re a building society founded by ordinary people, our members, who came together to help each other get the most from their money, buy homes and save for their futures. For over 130 years, we’ve supported each other and our communities, and we’ve done the right thing for wider society too.
If you come to work here at Nationwide, you’ll be part of that. Part of something a bit different. And something really quite special.
What’s more, we have a strong ethic of care for each other and our members. We recognise that our employees feel most appreciated when their thoughts and values are respected and considered. We’re committed to creating a culture that recognises and truly values our individual differences and identities. So if you’d like to be a part of an inclusive workplace where you can be yourself, where your talents are nurtured, and you feel empowered to contribute, then please apply and help us in building society, nationwide.
What to do next
If this role is for you, please click the ‘Apply Now’ button. You’ll need to attach your up to date CV and answer a few quick questions for us.
We respond to everyone, and so we will be in contact shortly after the closing date to let you know the outcome of your application.
You may also be interested in these related vacancies
Risk Manager Lead - Cyber Security
Infrastructure Engineering Manager