- Location: Swindon, South West England
- Salary: Competitive
- Contract Type: Permanent
- Ref: R002801848
- Closing Date: 27 February 2020
• Based at our Head Office in Swindon. Just an hour from London by train.
• Salary (based on a 35-hour working week) to reflect experience.
• Full time, permanent job with clear pathways to further development and promotion.
Who we're looking for
We are looking for talented Performance Engineers to strengthen our Performance Engineering team in our enterprise middleware domain. You will join us in striving to improve member experience through technical excellence and best practice
As a minimum requirement you’ll:
• Have strong stakeholder management & engagement skills, effective at all levels
• Be experienced working with both onshore & offshore resources
• Well-developed negotiation, facilitation and influencing skills
• Have experience designing performant, scalable & secure middleware solutions
• Possess an up-to-date appreciation of Service Oriented Architecture technologies and methods
• Competence in a variety of programming languages, including Java (or other OO languages)
• Have excellent teamwork (and mentoring) skills
• Have ability and mindset to quickly learn new and emerging technologies and apply them to create new solutions
• Where required, able to work with the business defining performance requirements
Preference will be given to those candidates who can demonstrate some/all of the following:
• Experience of software development using both Agile and Waterfall methodologies
• Experience of working in the Financial Services industry
• Experience of the data and resource modelling within a Banking environment
• Experience of Application development in Websphere technologies, Microservices (Java/Springboot) development and containerisation
• Experience of Apache Kafka and MongoDB
• Experience of defining non-functional requirements
• Experience of data analysis and tools such as App Dynamics.
What you'll be doing
As a member of our Performance Engineering team, you will be responsible for ensuring the ongoing performance of our critical integrations systems. You will help our team of Design and Software Engineers deliver safe, performant applications through your extensive experience.
You’ll already be comfortable juggling projects, handling complexity and immersing yourself in a team - and be ready to share your expertise with our emerging talent. You’ll have developed a practical knowledge and instinctive eye for what large tech departments require to deliver world class services.
We’ll give you the tools to work in the way that suits you, we’ll make sure your voice is influential and we’ll give you the opportunity to grow both your commercial acumen and technical skills. Our promotional pathways are clear and well-trodden; it’s in our company DNA to continually challenge our staff to be better, however technically proficient they are already.
You will have proven domain knowledge and experience in:
• Experience of real time systems integration and Service Oriented Architecture
• Design experience (hands-on) using two of the following IBM Websphere technologies including Integration Bus, MQ, BPM, ODM and DataPower, or comparable industry leading integration platforms
• An appreciation of the Rational Design product portfolio, Rational Software Architect and Rational Team Concert.
• Experience of Designing Enterprise Middleware solutions
• Experience of integration across a broad range of technologies particularly including Microsoft, SAP, and Unisys, plus cloud hosted services
• Knowledge of WCF, WSDL, REST, SOAP
The extras you'll get
We aim to give our people a good work-life balance and understand that flexible working and getting your schedule in advance helps you to organise your life. We also offer:
• Access to training to help you progress and develop your technical skills and career
• Pension scheme where if you pay in 7% we’ll top it up to 23%
• Life assurance worth 8x your salary
• 25 days’ holiday plus bank holidays
• The ability to 'buy’ up to 10 days more holiday
• Flexible benefits scheme giving you access to discount vouchers at various retail outlets
• Access to an annual performance related bonus scheme
Work with PRIDE
Why work for us?
At Nationwide, we’re here for our members and we put their needs first in everything we do. And as the world’s largest building society, communities are at the heart of everything we do. Doing the right thing for our members helps set us apart from our competitors. But we need good people to help us do it. People who understand what we believe in, and have the talent and drive to keep us successful.
We’re also the world’s largest building society, with communities at the heart of everything we do. We aim to do the right thing for our members which helps set us apart from our competitors. But we need good people to help us do it. People who understand what we believe in and have the talent and drive to keep us successful.
At Nationwide we have a strong ethic of care, and a genuine concern for each other and our members. We recognise that our employees feel most appreciated when their thoughts and values are respected and considered. We are committed to creating a culture that recognises and truly values our individual differences and identities. If you’d like to be a part of an inclusive workplace where you can be yourself, where your talents are nurtured, and you feel empowered to contribute then please apply and help us in building society, nationwide.
You may also be interested in these related vacancies
Engineer - C# / ASP.Net / MVC