Risk and Controls Manager
Risk and Controls Manager
- Location: Swindon Head Office, South West England
- Salary: Competitive
- Contract Type: Fixed Term Contract
- Ref: R002801936
- Closing Date: 28 February 2020
- A Risk & Controls Manager in our Payments Governance, Risk & Controls team
- Based in our Swindon Head Office
- 12 Month Secondment
- Send in your application by Friday 28th February
Payments Risk management is progressively becoming more specialised resulting in a need to adopt a more proactive approach in addressing emerging threats to protect our members and service whilst minimising Nationwide’s exposure to operational losses and to protect the reputation of the Nationwide brand.
We’ve created the Governance, Risk & Controls team in Payments to enhance existing risk, controls and regulatory management practices. We need a manager to support Payments in the identification and assessment of Operational and Conduct risk and contribute towards the successful delivery of the Payments strategy.
You will work closely with senior stakeholders from across the Society and independently within Payments. You will be joining a dynamic and creative team, with a drive for success, development and progression. This means that the Risk & Controls Manager will have a great opportunity to shape and plan the direction of the team and bring past experiences and new ideas to the forefront.
Who we're looking for
As a minimum, you will have:
- Significant experience and understanding of the design and delivery of Risk and Controls Management Frameworks, methodologies and policies across the Society
- Good knowledge of the Internal Controls Testing Methodology and a broad understanding of the Society wide risk and controls agenda to help effectively plan reviews and changes on an ongoing basis
- A blend of technical risk expertise and business acumen with the capability to understand the payments risk and controls landscape and anticipate the changes within the industry and financial services
- Experience of working in a regulated environment with a good understanding of customer outcomes, risk and control activities and reporting practices
- Strong communication skills, with a proven track record and ability to influence across the Society and associated Partners at all levels
- An organised, professional and meticulous approach, you’ll have no problem managing a high volume and complex workload
- You take pride in your work and strive for excellence, with a keen eye for detail to ensure all outputs are of the highest standard and quality.
- A self-motivated ethic with a strong passion to deliver exceptional results across the risk and controls environment
- Subject Matter Expertise within Operational and Conduct Risk and will be able highlight potential threats to Senior Management and maintain regular communication with them through effective stakeholder management principles
- Experience of working in a first line of defence risk and control environment
It would be nice if you also had:
- A degree, or relevant professional qualification, or 3 years’ relevant experience
- Comprehensive knowledge of payment processes, procedures and service standards
- Strong functional and organisational knowledge in Financial Services.
What you'll be doing
- Manage a range of assurance activities to provide an opinion of the controls being operated within the Payments sub communities, ensuring adherence to Society policies and/or regulatory / Scheme requirements
- Educate business areas on the Payments control environment, providing advice and guidance on effective control management whilst ensuring adherence to the control lifecycle and Payments policy
- Drive continuous improvement of the Payments assurance plan adopting a risk-based approach to ensure the assurance / testing approach across the payments E2E service is proportionate and aligned to the Testing Schedule Approval process
- Report into Metric Stream control effectiveness to mitigate payments risk across the Society, driving an integrated assurance approach across 1st, 2nd and 3rd lines of defence
- Support the business in developing and maintaining a proactive and open risk and controls culture, driving continuous improvement and excellence
- Identify, assess, manage and report emerging risks to the relevant Risk Committees and Boards. Actively support risk assessment and scenario planning exercises and ensure that these are carried out on a regular basis, are insightful, forward-looking and actionable
- Develop and maintain a robust Payment control environment, ensuring appropriate application and operation of critical controls
The extras you'll get
If you put a lot in, it’s only fair you should get a lot out. So if you help us do the right thing for our members, we’ll help further your career at Nationwide. As well as your salary, there’s life assurance, a pension and a recognition and rewards scheme. We think it’s a great place to work, and we’re not afraid of giving you praise when you’ve done well.
As part of our team you’ll get:
- Access to training to help you progress and develop your technical skills and career
- Pension scheme where if you pay in 7%, we’ll top it up to 23%
- Life assurance worth 8x your salary
- 25 days’ holiday plus bank holidays
- The ability to 'buy’ up to 10 days more holiday
- Flexible benefits scheme giving you access to discount vouchers at various retail outlets
- Access to an annual performance related bonus scheme
Work with PRIDE
Why work for us?
At Nationwide, we’re here for our members and we put their needs first in everything we do. And now, more than ever, two things are helping us go from strength to strength: we put our customers first, and we’re known for being open, honest and trustworthy.
We’re also the world’s largest building society, with communities at the heart of everything we do. We aim to do the right thing for our members which helps set us apart from our competitors. But we need good people to help us do it. People who understand what we believe in and have the talent and drive to keep us successful.
At Nationwide we have a strong ethic of care, and a genuine concern for each other and our members. We recognise that our employees feel most appreciated when their thoughts and values are respected and considered. We are committed to creating a culture that recognises and truly values our individual differences and identities. If you’d like to be a part of an inclusive workplace where you can be yourself, where your talents are nurtured, and you feel empowered to contribute then please apply and help us in building society, nationwide.
You may also be interested in these related vacancies