Senior Performance Engineer
Senior Performance Engineer
- Location: Swindon, South West England
- Salary: Competitive
- Contract Type: Permanent
- Ref: R002801948
- Closing Date: 27 February 2020
It’s easy to misunderstand what Nationwide is like. Why? Because we’re not like a bank. We’re not like other financial services companies either. As a Performance and Availability Engineer here, you’ll sit within a growing delivery function working across the full spectrum of our Payments Technology stack.
Who we're looking for
You. We hope, anyway. We are looking for experienced Performance and Availability Engineers to join the team, assisting Nationwide’s Payments Squad in the creation of highly performant and resilient systems.
You should have demonstrable experience in…
- Carrying out performance and resilience related architecture and design activities
- Performance tuning complex applications
- Defining performance and resilience non-functional requirements
- Carrying out design and code reviews
- Performance modelling
- Contributing to capacity estimation
- Experience of working in multi-tier architectures
We have a wide array of technology stacks at Nationwide but if you have experience in any of the following it would be beneficial… Kafka, full Microsoft stack, RedHat OpenShift / Kubernetes, MongoDB, SQL Server etc..
What you'll be doing
You will be involved from the design phase of projects onwards, providing specialist assistance in defining the technical architecture of the system from a performance and resilience point of view, right through to hands on system optimisation as well as being able to provide consultancy and define and embed best practice across the Squad.
- Providing consultancy in the early lifecycle/design
- Authoring performance and availability Design Patterns and Guidelines
- Engagement with feature teams with a significant performance element, accountable for end to end performance and resilience of the solution
- Accountable for detailed performance and resilience non-functional requirements
- Carrying out performance and availability design reviews
- Carrying out performance and availability modelling
- Carrying out performance and availability code reviews
- Carrying out performance and availability tuning
- Understanding the business impact of technical problems and be comfortable making risk assessments.
- Proactively contributing to the evolution of performance and availability engineering within Nationwide
The extras you'll get
Feeling as though you belong means being valued, recognised and rewarded. We aim to give our people a good work-life balance, so you’ll receive your schedule in advance, helping you to organise your life. We show our support through the recognition and rewards scheme we offer:
- Access to training to help you progress and develop your technical skills and career
- Pension scheme where if you pay in 7% we’ll top it up to 23%
- Life assurance worth 8x your salary
- 25 days’ holiday plus bank holidays
- The ability to 'buy’ up to 10 days more holiday
- Flexible benefits scheme giving you access to discount vouchers at various retail outlets
- Access to a healthcare scheme
- Access to an annual performance related bonus scheme
Work with PRIDE
Why work for us?
At Nationwide, we’re here for our members and we put their needs first in everything we do. And as the world’s largest building society, communities are at the heart of everything we do. Doing the right thing for our members helps set us apart from our competitors. But we need good people to help us do it. People who understand what we believe in, and have the talent and drive to keep us successful.
You may also be interested in these related vacancies