Lead Platform Engineer
Lead Platform Engineer
- Location: Central London, London Area
- Salary: Competitive
- Contract Type: Permanent
- Ref: R002802111
- Closing Date: 26 June 2020
IMMERSE YOURSELF IN CUTTING-EDGE, OPEN-SOURCE TECHNOLOGIES
Nationwide are opening a new state of the art tech hub in the iconic Post building, Holborn, which will ultimately house around 1,000 people as part of a £1.2b investment in our technology. For a Lead Platform Engineer like you, it’s a unique opportunity to get a Centre of Engineering Excellence off the ground, influence its evolution and grow your career.
We’re following the lead of some of the world’s biggest tech companies in solving the huge complexities of massive-scale, user-driven systems. So, we’re embarking on a new chapter in our architectural thinking focused around event streams and event-driven architectures. It involves utilising technologies such as Apache Kafka, NoSQL Databases and Microservices to build elastically scaling systems to provide an outstanding experience to our members.
This is an exceptional opportunity to work on cutting-edge, open-source technologies in a collaborative and close-knit environment. We also offer a flexible 35-hour week and clear pathways to further career development.
What you’ll be doing
- Architecting and delivering complex, enterprise-level infrastructure
- Managing cloud-based infrastructure on AWS (required), Azure or GCP (beneficial) using Kubernetes, ECS, EKS, GKE or AKS
- Building and maintaining multi-stage CI/CD pipelines using tools like Gitlab, Bitrise, Sonarcloud, Snyk
- Automating infrastructure provisioning and configuration with infrastructure as code using cloud abstraction and deployment tools like Terraform, KOPs and Ansible
- Deep expertise on security and compliance programming requirements on cloud (e.g. encryption, DLP, authentication standards)
- Proactively monitoring and resolving platform issues
You’ll be a future-looking, big-picture thinker, able to familiarise yourself with complex systems at any stage of the development lifecycle. Specifically, you’ll have experience of some of the following:
- Designing and architecting complex, enterprise-level infrastructure
- CI/CD pipelines using tools like Jenkins, CircleCI, JIRA, GIT, Veracode and Nexus/Artifactory
- Strong experience working in AWS environments leveraging Terraform, Kubernetes (K8s), EKS,
- Implementing microservices following 12-factor and cloud-native approaches
- Experienced with cloud abstraction and deployment tools, working experience with Terraform is essential
- You have worked in regulated environments following and have an extra appreciation of security and compliance in
- You have recent experience using Kafka/Confluent and knowledge of event-based architectures
- Linux distributions like CoreOS and CentOS
- If you have worked with any of the following technologies it’d be beneficial: Azure, GCP, KOPs, Ansible, .Net, Go, Rust
The extras you’ll get
If you put a lot in, it’s only fair you should get a lot out. So if you help us do the right thing for our members, we’ll help further your career with us.
As part of our team you’ll get:
- Access to training to help you progress and develop your technical skills and career
- Pension scheme where if you pay in 7% we’ll top it up to 23%
- Life assurance worth 8x your salary
- 30 days’ holiday plus bank holidays
- Individual healthcare cover
- Status car allowance - £4656 per annum
- The ability to 'buy’ up to 10 days more holiday
- Flexible benefits scheme giving you access to discount vouchers at various retail outlets
- Access to an annual performance related bonus scheme
Why work at Nationwide
We’re a building society founded by ordinary people, our members, who came together to help each other get the most from their money, buy homes and save for their futures. For over 130 years, we’ve supported each other and our communities, and we’ve done the right thing for wider society too.
If you come to work here at Nationwide, you’ll be part of that. Part of something a bit different. Something really quite special.
What’s more, we have a strong ethic of care for each other and our members. We recognise that our employees feel most appreciated when their thoughts and values are respected and considered. We’re committed to creating a culture that recognises and truly values our individual differences and identities. So if you’d like to be a part of an inclusive workplace where you can be yourself, where your talents are nurtured and you feel empowered to contribute, then please apply and help us in building society. Nationwide.
What to do next