Senior Software Developer - Java
Senior Software Developer - Java
- Location: Central London, London Area
- Salary: Competitive
- Contract Type: Permanent
- Ref: R002802116
- Closing Date: 18 July 2020
About the role
Nationwide are opening a new state of the art tech hub in the iconic Post building, Holborn, which will ultimately house around 1,000 people as part of a £1.2b investment in our technology. For a Senior Software Developerlike you, it’s a unique opportunity to get a Centre of Engineering Excellence off the ground, influence its evolution and grow your career.
We’re following the lead of some of the world’s biggest tech companies in solving the huge complexities of massive-scale, user-driven systems. So we’re embarking on a new chapter in our architectural thinking focused around event streams and event-driven architectures. It involves utilising technologies such as Apache Kafka, NoSQL Databases and Microservices to build elastically scaling systems to provide an outstanding experience to our members.
Shape and be part of our new vision, while having a healthy work-life balance. You’ll be given your schedule in advance, helping you to organise your life and enjoy everything the capital has to offer.
What you’ll be doing
As a Senior Software Developer you’ll be at the frontline working across the technology portfolio to solve complex problems by designing, building and testing systems that are processing millions of transactions per day. Our diverse IT estate ranges from legacy to cutting edge Proof of Concepts and as a team player who can lead by example we want you to develop contacts and relationships so things are done faster and more efficiently. We’ll expect you to get stuck in and have a go, knowing that sometimes to fail fast is to learn fast.
You will help to lead and shape a new team of engineers who will all be agile thinkers and ready to learn new technologies, techniques and architectures. For us, it’s not just about having the right technical background, you need to have an open mind, be able to work collaboratively and be able to help other to learn and succeed.
We’re after a Senior Developer with experience of the following. But more important is an open mind, a collaborative way of working, plus the ability to inspire junior members of the team to learn about emerging technologies and new architectures.
- Experience as a Senior Developer in Java programming
- Experience of helping to lead teams in Agile and/or DevOps driven environments
- Architecture design and development experience across Enterprise, cloud, N-Tier, Event Streaming or Microservices
- Container technologies such as Docker, Kubernetes or OpenShift
- NoSQL databases such as MongoDB, Cassandra, CosmosDB, DynamoDB or Redis
- Containerisation and Containerisation Orchestration technologies (Docker, Kubernetes, Open-Shift)
- Experience of building configuration management and application deployment (CI/CD) pipelines
- You will understand the operational impact your code can have and will be able to Communicate technical concepts to other techies and businesspeople alike and have the ability to document either high or low-level solutions
The extras you’ll get
If you put a lot in, it’s only fair that you get a lot out. Our rewards and recognition scheme includes:
- Access to training to help you develop your technical skills and career
- Pension scheme where if you pay in 7%, we’ll top it up to 23%
- Life assurance worth 8x your salary
- 25 days’ holiday plus bank holidays, with the ability to 'buy’ up to 10 days’ more holiday
- Flexible benefits scheme giving you access to retail discounts
Why work at Nationwide
We’re a building society founded by ordinary people, our members, who came together to help each other get the most from their money, buy homes and save for their futures. For over 130 years, we’ve supported each other and our communities, and we’ve done the right thing for wider society too.
If you come to work here at Nationwide, you’ll be part of that. Part of something a bit different. Something really quite special.
What’s more, we have a strong ethic of care for each other and our members. We recognise that our employees feel most appreciated when their thoughts and values are respected and considered. We’re committed to creating a culture that recognises and truly values our individual differences and identities. So if you’d like to be a part of an inclusive workplace where you can be yourself, where your talents are nurtured and you feel empowered to contribute, then please apply and help us in building society. Nationwide.
What to do next
If this role is for you, please click the ‘Apply Now’ button. You’ll need to attach your up to date CV and answer a few quick questions for us.
We respond to everyone, and so we will be in contact shortly after the closing date to let you know the outcome of your application.