Senior DevOps Engineer
Senior DevOps Engineer
- Location: Central London
- Salary: Competitive
- Contract Type: Permanent
- Ref: R002802125
- Closing Date: 08 July 2020
About the role
Nationwide are opening a new state of the art tech hub in the iconic Post building, Holborn, which will ultimately house around 1,000 people as part of a £1.2b investment in our technology. For an agile-minded SeniorDevOps Engineer like you, it’s a unique opportunity to get a Centre of Engineering Excellence off the ground, influence its evolution and grow your career.
We’re following the lead of some of the world’s biggest tech companies in solving the huge complexities of massive-scale, user-driven systems. So we’re embarking on a new chapter in our architectural thinking focused around event streams and event-driven architectures. It involves utilising technologies such as Apache Kafka, NoSQL Databases and Microservices to build elastically scaling systems to provide an outstanding experience to our members.
Shape and be part of our new vision, while having a healthy work-life balance. You’ll be given your schedule in advance, helping you to organise your life and enjoy everything the capital has to offer.
What you’ll be doing
Harnessing your experience of DevOps, CI/CD pipelining and Infrastructure as a Code (IAAC), you’ll take on a leading frontline role. This will entail designing, building and automating highly scalable systems used by millions every day, and working with the most up-to-date technologies to deliver real change.
A team player who can lead by example, you’ll log issues as they’re discovered, and take end-to-end ownership for developing and implementing solutions. You’ll also nurture and develop contacts and relationships to enable things to be done faster and more efficiently. Essentially, it’s about getting stuck in and having a go, knowing that sometimes to fail fast is to learn fast.
We are looking for someone who:
- Is a senior engineer with experience working in high-performing teams, delivering innovative technical solutions, applications and services.
- Experience in training. Mentoring and quality checking the work of junior DevOps Engineers.
- Has experience of using containerisation technologies such as Docker, Kubernetes or OpenShift.
- Has experience of creating and maintaining automated build and deployment pipelines using Jenkins.
- Has been responsible for configuring and using DevOps tooling such as Nexus/Artifactory, Selenium, Fortify and Kibana.
- Has developed, tested and deployed software into a public cloud environment, preferably AWS, but Microsoft Azure or Google Cloud experience is also relevant.
- Has been responsible for creating Infrastructure-As-Code using Terraform.
- Has experience of using Ansible for configuration management and is an expert with scripting languages such as Groovy.
- Has experience of designing, building and managing APIs.
- Has experience of working and helping to lead Agile teams, using the Scrum framework.
- Is able to learn new technologies and tools quickly, has the drive and the confidence to challenge the status quo, and demonstrates a pragmatic and collaborative attitude that will help to develop the skills of junior members of the team.
The extras you’ll get
If you put a lot in, it’s only fair that you get a lot out. Our rewards and recognition scheme includes
- A personal pension – if you put in 7% of your salary, we’ll top up by a further 16%
- Up to 2 days of paid volunteering a year
- Life assurance worth 8x your salary
- A great selection of additional benefits through our salary sacrifice scheme
- Access to an annual performance related bonus
- Access to training to help you develop and progress your career
- 25 days holiday
Why work at Nationwide
We’re a building society founded by ordinary people, our members, who came together to help each other get the most from their money, buy homes and save for their futures. For over 130 years, we’ve supported each other and our communities, and we’ve done the right thing for wider society too.
If you come to work here at Nationwide, you’ll be part of that. Part of something a bit different. Something really quite special.
What’s more, we have a strong ethic of care for each other and our members. We recognise that our employees feel most appreciated when their thoughts and values are respected and considered. We’re committed to creating a culture that recognises and truly values our individual differences and identities. So if you’d like to be a part of an inclusive workplace where you can be yourself, where your talents are nurtured and you feel empowered to contribute, then please apply and help us in building society. Nationwide.
What to do next
If this role is for you, please click the ‘Apply Now’ button. You’ll need to attach your up to date CV and answer a few quick questions for us.
We respond to everyone, and so we will be in contact shortly after the closing date to let you know the outcome of your application.