Cloud NetOps Engineer
Cloud NetOps Engineer
- Location: Central London
- Salary: Competitive
- Contract Type: Permanent
- Ref: R002802153
- Closing Date: 08 July 2020
Want to get involved in Cloud based technical challenges besides just reading blogarticles? Are you someone who lives and breathes Azure, AWS, Google Cloud? Areyou someone who makes a UDP joke but not sure everyone get’s it?
Our adoption of cloud is fundamental to the success of our material investment in technology for now and the future. The creation of first-class cloud products and capabilities that can be harnessed and leveraged by our tech teams is critical to achieving our strategy, delighting our members and the foundation of our digital capability. Our level of ambition is set high, that’s why as part of our Cloud Operations Site Reliability Engineering team we need Cloud Networking Engineers to drive forward our ambitions of Cloud adoption at scale.
Part of Nationwide’s exciting and growing team of Cloud Operations SRE you’ll be a recognised SME Responsible for the delivery of Cloud Operations technical solutions for assigned projects/programmes/squads and for providing consultancy and support services as required. As part of the IT Operations and Service Delivery community and working within our Cloud Centre of Excellence, we are looking for talented people with the ability to act like a Developer and thinklike a Systems Operator.
What you’ll be doing
As a core member of the SRE team you will be responsible for the reliability, availability and performance of cloud networking services and the cloud platforms that they underpin. You will:
- Contribute to the architectural & design with regards to the operational reliability of cloud platforms, with a key focus on cloud networking and network security
- Take the charge in building and managing cloud networks; catering for scalable, self-healing, globally distributed cloud platforms
- Aid in the design, build and run of Cloud Networking and Security services such as; edge and core firewalls, proxies and bastion hosts, direct network connections with public cloud providers, etc.
- Collaborate with architecture, security, engineering teams and the wider Cloud Centre of Excellence to set up best in class cloud platforms and subsequently provide guidance on their consumption
- Work with development and feature squads to ensure the reliability of future projects and programmes
- Proactively seek opportunities to drive efficiency, automation and cost reduction by automating manual and repetitive tasks
- Develop features and codified networking artefacts for platform improvements leveraging automation and infrastructure and network policies as code
As a minimum requirement you’ll have:
- Deep expertise in at least one of the Cloud providers (AWS, Azure, Google)
- Solid understanding of core network protocols and services (TCP/IP, DNS)
- A deep understanding on core data centre networking; including networking topologies, security architecture and tools required
- Experience in implementing and operating cloud-based networking and SDN stacks for elasticity and scalability
- Detailed understanding of BGP & MPLS in order to leverage multiple dynamically routed connections to transit networks
- Contribute to the design of transit networks to cater for infrastructure to automatically fail over between available connections; providing a highly available, resilient and scalable network
- Experienced in the implementation of non-overlapping network ranges for private networks to simplify the ability to route between remote network ranges
- Understanding of the core concepts of Virtual Private Cloud (VPCs), cloud virtual gateways and transit networks
- Deep expertise in planning and implementing network architectures, including; Multi-Region, Availability Zones, vNets (or VPC), load balancing, DNS & global traffic management, CIDR based IP planning and allocation using IPAM.”
- Experienced in platform networking and security designs covering aspects of firewalls, web application firewalls, deep-packet inspection, vTAPs, egress filtering, VPNs (s2s / p2s), IPSec tunnels, MACsec and PKI infrastructure, including TLS offloading & acceleration
- Ability to analyse network behaviour, performance and application issues using standard tools at a packet level
- Experience with network implementations for distributed systems design, disaster recovery and availability
- Understanding of Security Groups and Network Access Control Lists
- Experience in defining network topologies via infrastructure as code using tools such as Terraform and Ansible.
- Experience in making changes to production & live systems ensuing service uptime adhering to SDLC best practices
It would be nice if you also had:
- AWS / Azure Design & Solution Architecture certifications and/or
- AWS / Azure Infrastructure and Deployment certifications and/or
- AWS / Azure Integration and Security certifications
- Exposure to design-build-run of network underlays and overlays for cloud-native application stacks using Kubernetes and Docker
The extras you’ll get
Our people’s success isn’t based on how long they spend at their desk. While you’ll have contracted hours, we want to offer a flexible environment where possible. That might be working from home, logging on from other offices across the UK, or working part time or compressed hours.
We’ve let you know about the flexibility available for this role at the start of the advert. This means you can quickly decide if it suits how you’d like to work.
There are all sorts of employee benefits available at Nationwide, including:
- A personal pension – if you put in 7% of your salary, we’ll top up by a further 16%
- Up to 2 days of paid volunteering a year
- Life assurance worth 8x your salary
- A great selection of additional benefits through our salary sacrifice scheme
- Access to an annual performance related bonus
- Access to training to help you develop and progress your career
- 25 days holiday
Why work at Nationwide
We’re a building society founded by ordinary people, our members, who came together to help each other get the most from their money, buy homes and save for their futures. For over 130 years, we’ve supported each other and our communities, and we’ve done the right thing for wider society too.
If you come to work here at Nationwide, you’ll be part of that. Part of something a bit different. And something really quite special.
What’s more, we have a strong ethic of care for each other and our members. We recognise that our employees feel most appreciated when their thoughts and values are respected and considered. We’re committed to creating a culture that recognises and truly values our individual differences and identities. So if you’d like to be a part of an inclusive workplace where you can be yourself, where your talents are nurtured, and you feel empowered to contribute, then please apply and help us in building society, nationwide.
What to do next
If this role is for you, please click the ‘Apply Now’ button. You’ll need to attach your up to date CV and answer a few quick questions for us.
We respond to everyone, and so we will be in contact shortly after the closing date to let you know the outcome of your application