Senior Software Engineer - React Native
Senior Software Engineer - React Native
- Location: Central London
- Salary: Competitive
- Contract Type: Permanent
- Ref: R002802188
- Closing Date: 31 January 2021
About the role
Nationwide are opening a new state of the art tech hub in the iconic Post building, Holborn, which will ultimately house around 1,000 people as part of a £1.2b investment in our technology. For a Senior React Native Engineer like you, it’s a unique opportunity to get a Centre of Engineering Excellence off the ground, influence its evolution and grow your career.
We’re following the lead of some of the world’s biggest tech companies in solving the huge complexities of massive-scale, user-driven systems. So, we’re embarking on a new chapter in our architectural thinking focused around event streams and event-driven architectures. It involves utilising technologies such as Apache Kafka, NoSQL Databases and Microservices to build elastically scaling systems to provide an outstanding experience to our members.
Shape and be part of our new vision, while having a healthy work-life balance. You’ll be given your schedule in advance, helping you to organise your life and enjoy everything the capital has to offer.
What you’ll be doing
Day-to-day you’ll be exploiting your experience of delivering first-class solutions in an Agile environment. You’ll be involved in mentoring where needed and help to build our development process and strategies. You’ll drive continuous improvements and promote best practice in your team through your actions and behaviours.. With the understanding of the end-to-end process from a technical perspective, you will work closely with the Technology Lead, helping to deliver solutions that meet their requirements.
You may be required to work oncall from time to time.
We want you to nurture and value proactive habits and to develop contacts and relationships, so things are done faster and more efficiently. We’ll expect you to get stuck in and have a go, knowing that sometimes to fail fast is to learn fast.
If you have the below skills, we’re keen to hear from you.
- Experience building mobile apps using React Native (Redux preferable)
- Good knowledge of iOS and Android operating systems
- Experience of writing unit, integration and functional tests; you’ll take ownership of your code E2E making sure it’s tested and easily maintained
- Experience working in cloud-based environments
- Experience building CI/CD pipelines and familiarity with monitoring and CI/CD tools
- Strong appreciation of modern application development practices; as a Senior Engineer you’ll work with the Engineering Manager and Technical Lead to embed and promote best practice across the team
- A working knowledge of the following technologies is beneficial; Node.js, Microservices, Docker, Kubernetes or Openshift, Kafka, GraphQL
- You are product minded and have Agile Scrum team experience
- Strong communication and collaboration skills
- You are open to learn new technologies, not afraid to experiment and passionate about building scalable systems
- You’ll be joining a new team and working on a project in its infancy, so you’ll need to be comfortable navigating ambiguous environments
- You’re excited by the opportunity shape direction and put new ideas into action; you’ll actively participate in software design and ideation sessions
The extras you’ll get
If you put a lot in, it’s only fair that you get a lot out. Our rewards and recognition scheme includes:
• A personal pension – if you put in 7% of your salary, we’ll top up by a further 16%
• Up to 2 days of paid volunteering a year
• Life assurance worth 8x your salary
• A great selection of additional benefits through our salary sacrifice scheme
• Access to an annual performance related bonus
• Access to training to help you develop and progress your career
• 25 days holiday
Why work at Nationwide
We’re a building society founded by ordinary people, our members, who came together to help each other get the most from their money, buy homes and save for their futures. For over 130 years, we’ve supported each other and our communities, and we’ve done the right thing for wider society too.
If you come to work here at Nationwide, you’ll be part of that. Part of something a bit different. And something really quite special.
What’s more, we have a strong ethic of care for each other and our members. We recognise that our employees feel most appreciated when their thoughts and values are respected and considered. We’re committed to creating a culture that recognises and truly values our individual differences and identities. So if you’d like to be a part of an inclusive workplace where you can be yourself, where your talents are nurtured, and you feel empowered to contribute, then please apply and help us in building society, nationwide.
What to do next
If you’d like to apply, just click the ‘Apply now’ button. You’ll need to attach your CV and answer a few questions, and you can attach a cover letter if you like. The interview process includes a 1st stage technical call. If successful, you will be sent a take home coding project which will form part of the final stage interview. This consists of competency questions, a whiteboarding task and a technical discussion around the completed take home task.
We know applying for jobs can sometimes feel like you’re sending an application into a black hole. We review each application individually, which is why it’s a good idea to show your relevant experience on your CV to give yourself the best chance.
We’ll get back to you as soon as we can.