- Location: Central London, London Area
- Salary: Competitive
- Contract Type: Permanent
- Ref: R002802192
- Closing Date: 31 December 2099
About the role
Nationwide are opening a new state of the art tech hub in the iconic Post building, Holborn, which will ultimately house around 1,000 people as part of a £1.2b investment in our technology. For a Full-stack Software Engineer like you, it’s a unique opportunity to get a Centre of Engineering Excellence off the ground, influence its evolution and grow your career.
We’re following the lead of some of the world’s biggest tech companies in solving the huge complexities of massive-scale, user-driven systems. So, we’re embarking on a new chapter in our architectural thinking focused around event streams and event-driven architectures. It involves utilising technologies such as Apache Kafka, NoSQL Databases and Microservices to build elastically scaling systems to provide an outstanding experience to our members.
Shape and be part of our new vision, while having a healthy work-life balance. You’ll be given your schedule in advance, helping you to organise your life and enjoy everything the capital has to offer.
What you’ll be doing
Day-to-day you’ll be exploiting your experience of delivering first-class solutions in an Agile environment. You’ll be involved in mentoring where needed and help to build our development process and strategies. You’ll drive continuous improvements and promote best practice in your team through your actions and behaviours.. With the understanding of the end-to-end process from a technical perspective, you will work closely with the Technology Lead, helping to deliver solutions that meet their requirements.
We want you to nurture and value proactive habits and to develop contacts and relationships, so things are done faster and more efficiently. We’ll expect you to get stuck in and have a go, knowing that sometimes to fail fast is to learn fast.
If you have the below skills, we’re keen to hear from you.
- Strong understanding of the following technologies: Microservices, Docker and building API’s
- Background working in AWS environments and leveraging AWS technologies is preferred. Those who’ve predominantly worked in GCP or Azure environments will be considered, cloud experience is a must
- Experience building CI/CD pipelines and familiarity with monitoring and CI/CD tools
- Strong appreciation of modern application development practices, i.e. TDD, SOLID principals. You’ll work with the Engineering Manager and Technical Lead to help embed and promote best practice.
- Experience of writing unit, integration and functional tests; you’ll take ownership of your code E2E making sure it’s tested and easily maintained
- Experience with two or three of the following technologies is beneficial; GraphQL, Kubernetes or Openshift, Kafka, noSQL Databases, event driven architectures, React.js
- You are product-minded and have Agile Scrum team experience
- Strong communication and collaboration skills
- You are open to learn new technologies, not afraid to experiment and passionate about building scalable systems
- You’ll be joining a new team and working on greenfield projects in its infancy, so you’ll need to be comfortable navigating ambiguous environments
- You are excited by the opportunity shape direction and put new ideas into action; you’ll actively participate in software design and ideation sessions
The extras you’ll get
If you put a lot in, it’s only fair that you get a lot out. Our rewards and recognition scheme includes:
• A personal pension – if you put in 7% of your salary, we’ll top up by a further 16%
• Up to 2 days of paid volunteering a year
• Life assurance worth 8x your salary
• A great selection of additional benefits through our salary sacrifice scheme
• Access to an annual performance related bonus
• Access to training to help you develop and progress your career
• 25 days holiday
Why work at Nationwide
We’re a building society founded by ordinary people, our members, who came together to help each other get the most from their money, buy homes and save for their futures. For over 130 years, we’ve supported each other and our communities, and we’ve done the right thing for wider society too.
If you come to work here at Nationwide, you’ll be part of that. Part of something a bit different. Something really quite special.
What’s more, we have a strong ethic of care for each other and our members. We recognise that our employees feel most appreciated when their thoughts and values are respected and considered. We’re committed to creating a culture that recognises and truly values our individual differences and identities. So if you’d like to be a part of an inclusive workplace where you can be yourself, where your talents are nurtured and you feel empowered to contribute, then please apply and help us in building society. Nationwide.