- Location: Central London
- Salary: Competitive
- Contract Type: Permanent
- Ref: R002802209
- Closing Date: 15 July 2020
About the role
Nationwide are opening a new state of the art tech hub in the iconic Post building, Holborn, which will ultimately house around 1,000 people as part of a £1.2b investment in our technology. For a Systems Engineer like you, it’s a unique opportunity to get a Centre of Engineering Excellence off the ground, influence its evolution and grow your career.
We’re following the lead of some of the world’s biggest tech companies in solving the huge complexities of massive-scale, user-driven systems. So, we’re embarking on a new chapter in our architectural thinking focused around event streams and event-driven architectures. It involves utilising technologies such as Apache Kafka, NoSQL Databases and Microservices to build elastically scaling systems to provide an outstanding experience to our members.
Shape and be part of our new vision, while having a healthy work-life balance. You’ll be given your schedule in advance, helping you to organise your life and enjoy everything the capital has to offer.
What you’ll be doing
As a System Engineer you’ll be at the frontline working across the technology portfolio to help solve complex problems by creating technical solution designs for different work streams. Under the direction of an SME you’ll provide delivery and support of multiple high-level and detailed designs and support build and test activity.
Our diverse IT estate ranges from legacy to cutting edge Proof of Concepts. As a team player we want you to develop contacts and relationships so things are done faster and more efficiently. We’ll expect you to get stuck in and have a go, knowing that sometimes to fail fast is to learn fast.
You will join a new team of engineers who like you will all be agile thinkers and ready to learn new technologies, techniques and architectures. For us, it’s not just about having the right technical background, you need to have an open mind, be able to work collaboratively and be able to help other to learn and succeed.
The first project you’ll join is our PCI DSS delivery programme where you’ll work with SMEs & solution architects to deliver and support solution designs.
We are looking for someone who has commercial experience with the following:
- Knowledge of a range of technologies and technology stacks such as; Microsoft stack, Unisys, SAP
- Technical solution design capability and authoring
- Solution design experience across a range of technologies
- Experience of working with regulatory requirements
- Strong appreciation and understanding of non-functional concepts that underpin an enterprise solution (security, resilience etc.).
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Experience working in both Agile and Waterfall environments
- Knowledge of PCI DSS is desirable but not essential
The extras you’ll get
If you put a lot in, it’s only fair that you get a lot out. Our rewards and recognition scheme includes:
• A personal pension – if you put in 7% of your salary, we’ll top up by a further 16%
• Up to 2 days of paid volunteering a year
• Life assurance worth 8x your salary
• A great selection of additional benefits through our salary sacrifice scheme
• Access to an annual performance related bonus
• Access to training to help you develop and progress your career
• 25 days holiday
Why work at Nationwide
We’re a building society founded by ordinary people, our members, who came together to help each other get the most from their money, buy homes and save for their futures. For over 130 years, we’ve supported each other and our communities, and we’ve done the right thing for wider society too.
If you come to work here at Nationwide, you’ll be part of that. Part of something a bit different. Something really quite special.
What’s more, we have a strong ethic of care for each other and our members. We recognise that our employees feel most appreciated when their thoughts and values are respected and considered. We’re committed to creating a culture that recognises and truly values our individual differences and identities. So if you’d like to be a part of an inclusive workplace where you can be yourself, where your talents are nurtured and you feel empowered to contribute, then please apply and help us in building society. Nationwide.