Lead Data Engineer
Lead Data Engineer
- Location: Central London
- Salary: Competitive
- Contract Type: Permanent
- Ref: R002802212
- Closing Date: 16 July 2020
IMMERSE YOURSELF IN CUTTING-EDGE, OPEN-SOURCE TECHNOLOGIES
Nationwide are opening a new state of the art tech hub in the iconic Post building, Holborn, which will ultimately house around 1,000 people as part of a £1.2b investment in our technology. For a Lead Data Engineer like you, it’s a unique opportunity to get a Centre of Engineering Excellence off the ground, influence its evolution and grow your career.
We’re following the lead of some of the world’s biggest tech companies in solving the huge complexities of massive-scale, user-driven systems. So, we’re embarking on a new chapter in our architectural thinking focused around event streams and event-driven architectures. It involves utilising technologies such as Apache Kafka, NoSQL Databases and Microservices to build elastically scaling systems to provide an outstanding experience to our members.
This is an exceptional opportunity to work on cutting-edge, open-source technologies in a collaborative and close-knit environment. We also offer a flexible 35-hour week and clear pathways to further career development.
What you’ll be doing
Working within the Future Banking team, you will form a key part of a team responsible for the implementation of data solutions in support of our strategic objective of simplifying our data landscape and delivery of insight and innovation. Working directly across the team you will help to deliver best practise, innovation and automation within Data.
You will bring a high level of motivation and innovation to the team, always looking for ways to expand your own skill set and searching for ways to do things better, quicker & cheaper.
As a minimum requirement you’ll:
- Have experience building data pipelines with external services
- Experience building out data architectures incorporating external systems
- Knowledge of a broad range of associated technologies, such as Kafka and Terraform
- Confident coding in Scala and experience scripting in Python and ‘R’ are beneficial
- Possess the ‘Know how’ on implementing a Data Lake with technologies like Redshift and Hadoop
- Be a technical innovator with a curious mindset and a thirst for knowledge and be able to demonstrate a drive for continual improvement
- Have experience of AWS and Cloud and related technologies such as Spark for data streaming
- Be a strong team player who enjoys and thrives on collaboration across colleagues and teams
- Have excellent stakeholder management and influencing skills
The extras you’ll get
- Access to training to help you progress and develop your technical skills and career
- Pension scheme where if you pay in 7% we’ll top it up to 23%
- Life assurance worth 8x your salary
- 30 days’ holiday plus bank holidays
- Individual healthcare cover
- Status car allowance - £4656 per annum
- The ability to 'buy’ up to 10 days more holiday
- Flexible benefits scheme giving you access to discount vouchers at various retail outlets
- Access to an annual performance related bonus scheme
Why work at Nationwide
We’re a building society founded by ordinary people, our members, who came together to help each other get the most from their money, buy homes and save for their futures. For over 130 years, we’ve supported each other and our communities, and we’ve done the right thing for wider society too.
If you come to work here at Nationwide, you’ll be part of that. Part of something a bit different. Something really quite special.
What’s more, we have a strong ethic of care for each other and our members. We recognise that our employees feel most appreciated when their thoughts and values are respected and considered. We’re committed to creating a culture that recognises and truly values our individual differences and identities. So if you’d like to be a part of an inclusive workplace where you can be yourself, where your talents are nurtured and you feel empowered to contribute, then please apply and help us in building society. Nationwide.
What to do next
If this role is for you, please click the ‘Apply Now’ button. You’ll need to attach your up to date CV and answer a few quick questions for us.
We respond to everyone, and so we will be in contact shortly after the closing date to let you know the outcome of your application.