Cassandra Database Administrator.
Cassandra Database Administrator.
- Location: Swindon
- Salary: Competitive
- Contract Type: Permanent
- Ref: R002802253
- Closing Date: 07 August 2020
As a Cassandra Database Administrator you will be working in project teams designing, building and maintaining Cassandra databases and infrastructure to provide strong business solutions. You will be involved at all stages from design, build to the support of non-production environments. We are creating a learning culture at NBS and ongoing development is important and the opportunity to increase skills in technologies is encouraged. As a part of this role you will have the opportunity to join our many communities to share ideas and collaborate with other professional engineers.
At Nationwide we openly put our 15 million members at the centre of every decision we make as a business. Every role, no matter what it’s doing, is member focused.
Infrastructure Engineering provides the platform for all our key systems at NBS. Infrastructure Engineering designs and builds all infrastructure at NBS, as well as supporting the non-production environments used for development and testing. We also provide specialist guidance and advice to our change initiatives.
What you’ll be doing
Working within the project team you will work collaboratively with others to build the best solution for Nationwide using Cassandra. Using your SME knowledge, you will attend meetings, offer advice/consultancy build systems and work through problems to provide solid working solutions within the Cassandra space.
Have a proven track record in providing technical delivery through the design, build and implementation of Cassandra
• Have in depth knowledge & experience of the following:
o Configuring and supporting OpsCentre for Backups and Deployments.
o Understanding of Cassandra architecture
o Datastax Cassandra 6.* or similar
o Assisting development and testing teams with troubleshooting within Cassandra and tuning performance, application workload and index recommendations.
o Deploying and configuring Cassandra in Linux, specifically Red Hat Enterprise Linux / Docker
• Be comfortable working across multiple projects and immersing yourself in a team
• Be ready to share your expertise with our emerging talent
• Good communicator with an analytical approach
• Build good working relationships with both technical and business stakeholders, gaining their respect and trust based on your knowledge and professionalism
• Have the ability and desire to quickly learn new technologies.
Experience and knowledge of the following areas would be beneficial:
• Experience of operating system concepts of Linux (RHEL).
• Splunk, Graph and Apache Spark.
• Infrastructure as Code - Ansible.
• Other RDBMS/NoSQL database technologies such as MSSQL Server, Oracle and MongoDb
• Automation technologies: Notably Ansible.
• LDAP integration.
• Kerberos integration
• Experience of/understanding of Red Hat Openshift.
• Agile project management methodologies
• Scrum agile framework
• Regulatory environments such as PCI and GDPR
• Network and infrastructure security concepts
We’re also interested in who you are as a person. Why? Because our membership is made up of many kinds of different people, so we want our employees to be just as diverse. We’d love to hear about:
• Your values, and what makes you who you are
• How you’d make a difference to our members in this role
We know applying for jobs can sometimes feel like you’re sending an application into a black hole. We review each application individually. So, it’s a good idea to call out your most relevant experience on your application to give yourself the best chance.
The extras you’ll get
Our people’s success isn’t based on how long they spend at their desk. While you’ll have contracted hours, we want to offer a flexible environment where possible. That might be working from home, logging on from other offices across the UK, or working part time or compressed hours.
We’ve let you know about the flexibility available for this role at the start of the advert. This means you can quickly decide if it suits how you’d like to work.
There are all sorts of employee benefits available at Nationwide, including:
• A personal pension – if you put in 7% of your salary, we’ll top up by a further 16%
• Up to 2 days of paid volunteering a year
• Life assurance worth 8x your salary
• A great selection of additional benefits through our salary sacrifice scheme
• Access to an annual performance related bonus
• Access to training to help you develop and progress your career
• 25 days holiday
Why work at Nationwide
We’re a building society founded by ordinary people, our members, who came together to help each other get the most from their money, buy homes and save for their futures. For over 130 years, we’ve supported each other and our communities, and we’ve done the right thing for wider society too.
If you come to work here at Nationwide, you’ll be part of that. Part of something a bit different. And something that is really quite special.
What’s more, we have a strong ethic of care for each other and our members. We recognise that our employees feel most appreciated when their thoughts and values are respected and considered. We’re committed to creating a culture that recognises and truly values our individual differences and identities. So if you’d like to be a part of an inclusive workplace where you can be yourself, where your talents are nurtured, and you feel empowered to contribute, then please apply and help us in building society, nationwide.
What to do next
If this role is for you, please click the ‘Apply Now’ button. You’ll need to attach your up to date CV and answer a few quick questions for us.
We respond to everyone, and so we will be in contact shortly after the closing date to let you know the outcome of your application.