- Location: UK Wide
- Salary: Competitive
- Contract Type: Permanent
- Ref: R002802254
- Closing Date: 23 October 2020
Are you or do you want to be API Gateway Platform Engineer? If so, we’ll actively support your development to take on this essential frontline role. This will entail designing, building and testing our API Gateway platform that supports millions of Nationwide members every day, and working with the most up-to-date technologies to deliver real change.
We are creating a learning culture at NBS and ongoing development is important and the opportunity to increase skills in technologies is encouraged. As a part of this role you will have the opportunity to join our many communities to share ideas and collaborate with other professional engineers.
For more information on this exciting opportunity please contact Hiring Manager, Jamie Lyons or Resourcing Manager, Thomas Pegg.
What you’ll be doing
You will be harnessing your experience to take on an important role. This will entail designing, building and testing a platform that supports millions of Nationwide members every day, and working with the most up-to-date technologies to deliver real change. You will take end-to-end ownership for developing and implementing and supporting solutions.
You’ll also nurture and develop contacts and relationships to enable things to be done faster and more efficiently. You will also be developing and mentoring other members of the team. Essentially, it’s about getting stuck in and having a go, knowing that sometimes to fail fast is to learn fast.
We are looking for an API Gateway Platform Engineers, or API Developers with a desire to become API Gateway Platform Engineers.
- Knowledge and experience in Apigee Edge and its components
- Knowledge of GIT, Red Hat Enterprise Linux and Certificate Management
- Sound understanding of API practices and security
- Provide inputs on best practices for platform build automation
- Collaboratively work with project manager, NBS technical teams and other stakeholders.
- Ability to highlight any risks, issues and dependencies
- Experience in new ways of working, Agile way of development
- A team player who can lead by example
- Be comfortable working across multiple projects and immersing yourself in a team
- Be ready to share your expertise with our emerging talent
- Good communicator with an analytical approach
- Build good working relationships with both technical and business stakeholders, gaining their respect and trust based on your knowledge and professionalism
- Have the ability and desire to quickly learn new technologies.
Experience and knowledge of the following areas would be beneficial:
- Knowledge of Apigee infrastructure and best practices.
- Middleware application infrastructure administration experience
- Enterprise delivery of AWS cloud banking platforms
- Experience of using DevOps tooling (Github, Jenkins, Artifactory, Ansible, Terraform)
- Building and Maintaining Apigee Edge components and Developer Portal (infrastructure/platform build).
- Demonstrated capability of Zero downtime upgrades and patching of Apigee components.
- Sound understanding of development practices.
- Apigee component level scaling to cater for high volumes.
- API Development Background.
- Terraform for infrastructure provisioning in a cloud environment.
- Ansible for installation and configuration management of software.
- Experience with installing and operating middleware and databases in a Production environment
We’re also interested in who you are as a person. Why? Because our membership is made up of many kinds of different people, so we want our employees to be just as diverse. We’d love to hear about:
- Your values, and what makes you who you are
- How you’d make a difference to our members in this role
We know applying for jobs can sometimes feel like you’re sending an application into a black hole. We review each application individually. So, it’s a good idea to call out your most relevant experience on your application to give yourself the best chance.
The extras you’ll get
Our people’s success isn’t based on how long they spend at their desk. While you’ll have contracted hours, we want to offer a flexible environment where possible. That might be working from home, logging on from other offices across the UK, or working part time or compressed hours.
There are all sorts of employee benefits available at Nationwide, including:
- A personal pension – if you put in 7% of your salary, we’ll top up by a further 16%
- Up to 2 days of paid volunteering a year
- Life assurance worth 8x your salary
- A great selection of additional benefits through our salary sacrifice scheme
- Access to an annual performance related bonus
- Access to training to help you develop and progress your career
- 25 days holiday
Why work at Nationwide
We’re a building society founded by ordinary people, our members, who came together to help each other get the most from their money, buy homes and save for their futures. For over 130 years, we’ve supported each other and our communities, and we’ve done the right thing for wider society too.
If you come to work here at Nationwide, you’ll be part of that. Part of something a bit different. And something that is really quite special.
What’s more, we have a strong ethic of care for each other and our members. We recognise that our employees feel most appreciated when their thoughts and values are respected and considered. We’re committed to creating a culture that recognises and truly values our individual differences and identities. So if you’d like to be a part of an inclusive workplace where you can be yourself, where your talents are nurtured, and you feel empowered to contribute, then please apply and help us in building society, nationwide.
What to do next
If this role is for you, please click the ‘Apply Now’ button. You’ll need to attach your up to date CV and answer a few quick questions for us.
We respond to everyone, and so we will be in contact shortly after the closing date to let you know the outcome of your application.