Software Engineer - Payments
Software Engineer - Payments
- Location: Swindon
- Salary: Competitive
- Contract Type: Permanent
- Ref: R002802283
- Closing Date: 31 August 2020
Our payments application portfolio is undergoing a transformation programme that spans the next few years. We’re looking at what the biggest tech companies in the world are doing to help solve the huge complexities of our critical systems and embarking on a new chapter in our architectural thinking.
Our focus is shifting to concepts of event streams or event driven architectures. And we’re looking to utilise technologies such as Apache Kafka, NoSQL Databases and Microservices to build elastically scaling systems capable of handlings hundreds of thousands of events per second. The purpose? Outstanding customer experience. This is an exciting time to join if you’re keen to make an impact.
What you’ll be doing
To build this new vision we are looking to recruit a new team of Engineers, recognised as technical SME’s and task leaders, with proven experience in coding and DevOps. You’ll need to provide strong technical leadership and be ready to help us learn new technologies and architectures. For us, it’s not just about having the right technical background, you need to have an open mind, be able to work collaboratively and be driven to learn and succeed.
You’ll be at the frontline, delivering our vision to our members by leading the design, build and testing of systems used to process millions of transactions every day. You’ll be given the opportunity to work with the most up-to-date technologies to deliver real change.
Your day-to-day work will involve developing solutions in a highly collaborative environment and implementing them with your team, so you’ll have end-to-end ownership and will be given a platform to lead by example.
That’s our mindset and our culture: we want you to nurture and value proactive habits and to develop contacts and relationships so things are done faster and more efficiently. We’ll expect you to get stuck in and have a go, knowing that sometimes to fail fast is to learn fast.
The ability and mindset to quickly learn new and emerging technologies and apply them to create new solutions is essential. And if you’ve had experience of some of the following, or similar, we’d like to hear from you.
- Extensive programming experience, preferably in C# and/or Java. .Net Core would be a plus.
- Technical expertise in the design, build and test of code including writing automated test suites across a number of deliveries.
- Technical leadership and consultancy to senior stakeholders.
- Task managing a team of up to circa 10 engineers
- Actively drive Agile ways of working.
- Demonstrable experience in DevOps driven environments.
- Experience of working with different architectures such as Enterprise, cloud, N-Tier, Event Streaming or Microservices.
- Experience of working with container technologies such as Docker, Kubernetes or OpenShift.
- Knowledge of BizTalk, T-SQL and SQL Server would be useful.
- Understanding ETL like SSIS (SQL Integration Services) and EAI Tools like IBM Sterling File Gateway is a plus.
- Experience of working with NoSQL databases such as MongoDB, Cassandra or Redis.
- Any previous experience of Apache Kafka would be very beneficial but not essential.
- Knowledge of Infrastructure, Security and Cloud would also be beneficial.
The extras you’ll get
If you put a lot in, it’s only fair that you get a lot out. Our rewards and recognition scheme includes:
- A personal pension – if you put in 7% of your salary, we’ll top up by a further 16%
- Up to 2 days of paid volunteering a year
- Life assurance worth 8x your salary
- A great selection of additional benefits through our salary sacrifice scheme
- Access to an annual performance related bonus
- Access to training to help you develop and progress your career
- 25 Days Holiday
Why work at Nationwide
We’re a building society founded by ordinary people, our members, who came together to help each other get the most from their money, buy homes and save for their futures. For over 130 years, we’ve supported each other and our communities, and we’ve done the right thing for wider society too.
If you come to work here at Nationwide, you’ll be part of that. Part of something a bit different. Something really quite special.
What’s more, we have a strong ethic of care for each other and our members. We recognise that our employees feel most appreciated when their thoughts and values are respected and considered. We’re committed to creating a culture that recognises and truly values our individual differences and identities. So if you’d like to be a part of an inclusive workplace where you can be yourself, where your talents are nurtured and you feel empowered to contribute, then please apply and help us in building society. Nationwide.