- Location: Central London
- Salary: Competitive
- Contract Type: Permanent
- Ref: R002802294
- Closing Date: 22 January 2021
Are you a security engineer looking to work with diverse cutting-edge, cloud-based technologies, industry leading vendors and across different internal teams?
Do you have a proven track record in providing technical leadership through the design, build and implementation of complex security solutions?
Do you relish working across multiple change initiatives and immersing yourself in a team that will stretch and test you?
Nationwide is undergoing a digital transformation journey; our cloud adoption is presenting opportunities for improving our overall security posture by baking security into the pipeline at the earliest point. For us, it’s not just about having the right security background, you need to be pragmatic, be able to work collaboratively and be driven to learn and succeed.
What you’ll be doing
In this role, you will help form our Cloud Security Operations team, which provides design, build and production support for the shared security services we offer on our public cloud platforms. You will provide strong technical support, enabling technical decisions to be made with confidence and at pace.
Working in partnership with our Cloud Ops team, you will:
- Support and continuously enhance our existing security services for Cloud
- Provide technical knowledge at all stages of the delivery lifecycle, including consultancy to stakeholders
- Identify and implement technically complex designs and/or environment solutions to meet the Security control directives
- Organise the work of the security engineering team, relying on technical knowledge to create efficiencies and give appropriate direction
- Capture and share knowledge and ensuring use of documentation within engineering teams
- Drive decisions and remove blockers to drive forward implementation of technical artefacts
- Manage security backlog, prioritisation and delivery planning
- Provide security metrics and KPIs to the Security leadership team on a regular basis
In addition, you will:
- Contribute to the creation and ongoing maintenance of security engineering principles, patterns and standards to reflect best practice and effective use within the organisation
- Build a network including external relationships with other engineers/SMEs to understand best practice and emerging trends within engineering
- Act as an engineering advocate across Nationwide, identifying good practices to adopt and sharing experiences, e.g.: through blog posts, tech talks at technical forums, knowledge share, etc.
- Develop capability of security engineering team by supporting recruitment and pipeline talent development, through coaching and mentoring.
As a minimum you’ll:
- Have in depth understanding of securing cloud technologies (AWS, Azure, GCP)
- Basic understanding of containerisation technology (Docker, Kubernetes, Openshift)
- Basic understanding of DevOps tools (GitHub, Jenkins, Nexus, Ansible, etc.)
- Have a strong knowledge of privileged access management, vulnerability management, secure remote access, secrets management and access control
- Be ready to share your expertise with our emerging talent
- Build good working relationships with both technical and business stakeholders, gaining their respect and trust based on your knowledge and professionalism
- Have excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Have the ability and desire to quickly learn new technologies.
Experience and knowledge of the following areas would be beneficial:
- Cloud Security qualification such as CCSP or CCSK
- Working knowledge of CASB technologies
- Practical, hands-on experience in security technologies
- Agile project management methodologies
- Scheme and regulatory environments such as PCI DSS and GDPR
- Working with 3rd parties / suppliers
- Hands-on experience with the design, deployment, configuration of cloud technologies
- Experience in the management of small teams would be advantageous.
The extras you’ll get
Our people’s success isn’t based on how long they spend at their desk. While you’ll have contracted hours, we want to offer a flexible environment where possible. That might be working from home, logging on from other offices across the UK, or working part time or compressed hours. There are all sorts of employee benefits available at Nationwide, including:
- A personal pension – if you put in 7% of your salary, we’ll top up by a further 16%
- Up to 2 days of paid volunteering a year
- Life assurance worth 8x your salary
- A great selection of additional benefits through our salary sacrifice scheme
- Access to an annual performance related bonus
- Access to training to help you develop and progress your career
- 25 days holiday
Why work at Nationwide
We’re a building society founded by ordinary people, our members, who came together to help each other get the most from their money, buy homes and save for their futures. For over 130 years, we’ve supported each other and our communities, and we’ve done the right thing for wider society too.
If you come to work here at Nationwide, you’ll be part of that. Part of something a bit different. And something really quite special.
What’s more, we have a strong ethic of care for each other and our members. We recognise that our employees feel most appreciated when their thoughts and values are respected and considered. We’re committed to creating a culture that recognises and truly values our individual differences and identities. So if you’d like to be a part of an inclusive workplace where you can be yourself, where your talents are nurtured, and you feel empowered to contribute, then please apply and help us in building society, nationwide.
What to do next
If this role is for you, please click the ‘Apply Now’ button. You’ll need to attach your up to date CV and answer a few quick questions for us.
We respond to everyone, and so we will be in contact shortly after the closing date to let you know the outcome of your application.