Senior Platform Engineer
Senior Platform Engineer
- Location: UK Wide
- Salary: Competitive
- Contract Type: Permanent
- Ref: R002802390
- Closing Date: 08 March 2021
About the role
The Future Platform squad are on a mission to deliver insights and innovation for Nationwide and its members. This is a unique opportunity for a Senior Platform Engineer to join a highly skilled, cross-functional team on a proposition that is building a cloud-native solution green-field and in a fast pace environment. Future Platform squad takes the best parts of tech start-up culture and applies them to a well-established organization.
Better yet, you’ll be working on something truly meaningful with a supportive and close-knit team that practices a no-blame culture.
- We are open to receive applicants UK wide, this opportunity offering remote working. There is a requirement to work in the London Holborn office, roughly 2 days a fortnight (post COVID restrictions).
- You may be required to work on-call on the rare occasion.
This is a project in its early infancy, so the role is perfect for those who:
- Relish working on greenfield projects and are not afraid to broach unchartered territory
- Innovate but are also pragmatic in their decision making and will implement what’s best for the job, always thinking of what’s right by our members
- Are acutely aware there isn’t a ‘one size’ fits all approach to building systems. What may have worked for past problems may not be a practical approach for this one
- Are eager to not just actively contribute on technical discussion, but want to stay hands on with the tech, developing, creating and building
This opportunity will sit in the Centre of Engineering Excellence. We also offer a flexible 35-hour week and clear pathways to further career development.
What you’ll be doing
Day-to-day you’ll be exploiting your experience of building first-class solutions in an Agile environment. You’ll be involved in mentoring where needed and help to build our development process and strategies. You’ll help drive continuous improvements and promote best practice through your actions and behaviours.. With the understanding of the end-to-end process from a technical perspective, you will work closely with the Lead Platform Engineer, helping to deliver solutions that meet their requirements.
We want you to nurture and value proactive habits and to develop contacts and relationships, so things are done faster and more efficiently. We’ll expect you to get stuck in and have a go, knowing that sometimes to fail fast is to learn fast.
As a Senior member within the Future Platform Engineering team you’ll have experience of:
- Architecting and delivering complex, enterprise-level infrastructure
- Managing cloud-based infrastructure on AWS (essential), Azure or GCP (beneficial) using Kubernetes (EKS/ GKE/ AKS/ self-hosted), or ECS
- Building and maintaining multi-stage CI/CD pipelines using tools like Gitlab, Bitrise, Sonarcloud, Snyk
- Automating infrastructure provisioning and configuration with infrastructure as code using cloud abstraction and deployment tools like Terraform, Helm, Argo and Gitlab
- Security and compliance programming requirements on cloud (e.g. encryption, DLP, authentication standards)
- Proactively monitoring and resolving platform issues
The extras you’ll get
If you put a lot in, it’s only fair that you get a lot out. Our rewards and recognition scheme includes:
• A personal pension – if you put in 7% of your salary, we’ll top up by a further 16%
• Up to 2 days of paid volunteering a year
• Life assurance worth 8x your salary
• A great selection of additional benefits through our salary sacrifice scheme
• Access to an annual performance related bonus
• Access to training to help you develop and progress your career
• 25 days holiday
Why work at Nationwide
We’re a building society founded by ordinary people, our members, who came together to help each other get the most from their money, buy homes and save for their futures. For over 130 years, we’ve supported each other and our communities, and we’ve done the right thing for wider society too.
If you come to work here at Nationwide, you’ll be part of that. Part of something a bit different. And something really quite special.
What’s more, we have a strong ethic of care for each other and our members. We recognise that our employees feel most appreciated when their thoughts and values are respected and considered. We’re committed to creating a culture that recognises and truly values our individual differences and identities. So if you’d like to be a part of an inclusive workplace where you can be yourself, where your talents are nurtured, and you feel empowered to contribute, then please apply and help us in building society, nationwide.
What to do next
If you’d like to apply, just click the ‘Apply now’ button. You’ll need to attach your CV and answer a few questions, and you can attach a cover letter if you like. The interview process includes a 1st stage technical call. If successful, you will be sent a take home coding project which will form part of the final stage interview. This consists of competency questions, a whiteboarding task and a technical discussion around the completed take home task.
We know applying for jobs can sometimes feel like you’re sending an application into a black hole. We review each application individually, which is why it’s a good idea to show your relevant experience on your CV to give yourself the best chance.
We’ll get back to you as soon as we can.