- Location: Swindon
- Salary: Competitive
- Contract Type: Permanent
- Ref: R002802395
- Closing Date: 21 October 2020
As a SQL Engineer, you’ll sit within a growing delivery team optimising user and member experience, working at the heart of our IT estate on applications supporting our Financial Crime and Risk applications.
This is a unique opportunity to get a Centre of Engineering Excellence off the ground, influence its evolution and grow your career.
We’re following the lead of some of the world’s biggest tech companies in solving the huge complexities of massive-scale, user-driven systems. So we’re embarking on a new chapter in our architectural thinking focused around event streams and event-driven architectures. It involves utilising technologies such as Apache Kafka, NoSQL Databases and Microservices to build elastically scaling systems to provide an outstanding experience to our members.
Shape and be part of our new vision, while having a healthy work-life balance. You’ll be given your schedule in advance, helping you to organise your life and enjoy everything the capital has to offer.
What you’ll be doing
You will be involved in all phases of the Software Development Lifecycle, thinking end to end. You will be working with a team of engineers to deliver both technical and design outcomes as well as collaborating across other technical delivery and support areas, providing advice and consultancy.
- Engagement with programmes & projects to provide input into all aspects of the lifecycle, from early life through to production support
- Accountable for Detailed Functional & Technical Design
- Engineering of Software solutions, including design & code reviews
- Understanding the business impact of technical problems and be comfortable making risk assessments
- Proactively contributing to the evolution of Software Engineering within Nationwide
We are looking for someone who has experience with Application Design and Development to work on solutions across our Fraud, AML and Risk Systems portfolio.
You will initially be performing the role of a SQL Engineer building on an existing Financial Crime datastore, though over time will also work on our industry leading, specialist systems and processes.
You should have demonstrable experience in aspects of:
- Solid understanding of MS SQL databases, reporting and ETL processes
- Knowledge of Nationwide’s Fraud, AML and Risk applications
- Full appreciation of Software Development Lifecycles and knowledge of Agile and DevOps
- Functional & Technical Design
- Performance and resilience related architecture and design activities
- Engineering of IT solutions to meet Business requirements
- Live incident support
- Experience of working in multi-tier IT architectures
- Strong stakeholder management & engagement skills, effective at all levels
- Have experience in task management & mentoring team members
- The ability to quickly understanding problems and provide root cause analysis and resolution
- Advantageous to have experience developing in a Windows or Cloud Environment using C#, .Net Core,
The extras you’ll get
If you put a lot in, it’s only fair that you get a lot out. Our rewards and recognition scheme includes:
- A personal pension – if you put in 7% of your salary, we’ll top up by a further 16%
- Up to 2 days of paid volunteering a year
- Life assurance worth 8x your salary
- A great selection of additional benefits through our salary sacrifice scheme
- Access to an annual performance related bonus
- Access to training to help you develop and progress your career
- 25 days holiday
Why work at Nationwide
We’re a building society founded by ordinary people, our members, who came together to help each other get the most from their money, buy homes and save for their futures. For over 130 years, we’ve supported each other and our communities, and we’ve done the right thing for wider society too.
If you come to work here at Nationwide, you’ll be part of that. Part of something a bit different. Something really quite special.
What’s more, we have a strong ethic of care for each other and our members. We recognise that our employees feel most appreciated when their thoughts and values are respected and considered. We’re committed to creating a culture that recognises and truly values our individual differences and identities. So if you’d like to be a part of an inclusive workplace where you can be yourself, where your talents are nurtured and you feel empowered to contribute, then please apply and help us in building society. Nationwide.
What to do next
If this role is for you, please click the ‘Apply Now’ button. You’ll need to attach your up to date CV and answer a few quick questions for us
We respond to everyone, and so we will be in contact shortly after the closing date to let you know the outcome of your application.