Senior DevOps Engineer - AWS
Senior DevOps Engineer - AWS
- Location(s): Nationwide House (Swindon)
- Salary: Competitive
- Contract Type: Permanent
- Ref: R002802461
- Closing Date: 13 May 2021
Nationwide is investing £1.2b in Technology Transformation, so it’s never been a more exciting time to join. Building high performing teams plays a huge part in this transformation, which is why we need skilled Senior Engineers to work in our agile digital hubs.
The Nationwide technology strategy balances the need to build for the future with strengthening our core platforms. It will leverage key technologies such as Cloud and APIs to enable digital journeys and platforms for business model innovation, allowing us to generate insight from our data using analytics and AI. Our investment in our branches and digital channels will create the best blend of human and digital service for our members. We need high-performing individuals to support this transformation
What you’ll be doing
Harnessing your experience of DevOps, CI/CD pipelining and Infrastructure as Code (IaC), you’ll take on a leading frontline role. This will entail designing, building and automating highly scalable systems used by millions every day, and working with the most up-to-date technologies to deliver real change.
A team player who can lead by example, you’ll log issues as they’re discovered, and take end-to-end ownership for developing and implementing solutions. You’ll also nurture and develop contacts and relationships to enable things to be done faster and more efficiently. Essentially, it’s about getting stuck in and having a go, knowing that sometimes to fail fast is to learn fast.
You may be required to work on-call from time to time.
For more senior roles we are looking for someone who:
- has experience leading and working in high-performing teams, delivering innovative technical solutions, applications and services.
- can train, mentor and quality checking the work of junior DevOps Engineers.
- has experience of working and helping to lead Agile teams, using the Scrum framework
For all roles you will have some or all the following hands on experience:
- using containerisation technologies such as Docker, Kubernetes or OpenShift.
- creating and maintaining automated build and deployment pipelines using Google Skaffold, Jenkins or equivalent technologies
- configuring and using DevOps tooling i.e. Artifactory, Selenium, Fortify, Snyk, Sonarqube and ELK stack.
- developing, testing and deploying software into a public cloud environment, preferably AWS, but Azure or Google Cloud experience is also relevant.
- creating Infrastructure-As-Code using Terraform.
- using Ansible for configuration management and has experience with scripting languages i.e. Groovy.
- building/operating high performance Linux build systems.
You’ll also be able to demonstrate your ability to continuously improve and develop yourself, learning new technologies and tools quickly. You’ll have the drive and confidence to challenge the status quo, and demonstrate a pragmatic and collaborative attitude that will help to develop the team.
The extras you’ll get
If you put a lot in, it’s only fair that you get a lot out. Our rewards and recognition scheme includes:
- A personal pension – if you put in 7% of your salary, we’ll top up by a further 16%
- Up to 2 days of paid volunteering a year
- Life assurance worth 8x your salary
- A great selection of additional benefits through our salary sacrifice scheme
- Access to an annual performance related bonus
- Access to training to help you develop and progress your career
- 25 days holiday
Why work at Nationwide
We’re a building society founded by ordinary people, our members, who came together to help each other get the most from their money, buy homes and save for their futures. For over 130 years, we’ve supported each other and our communities, and we’ve done the right thing for wider society too.
If you come to work here at Nationwide, you’ll be part of that. Part of something a bit different. Something really quite special.
What’s more, we have a strong ethic of care for each other and our members. We recognise that our employees feel most appreciated when their thoughts and values are respected and considered. We’re committed to creating a culture that recognises and truly values our individual differences and identities. So if you’d like to be a part of an inclusive workplace where you can be yourself, where your talents are nurtured and you feel empowered to contribute, then please apply and help us in building society. Nationwide.
What to do next
If this role is for you, please click the ‘Apply Now’ button. You’ll need to attach your up to date CV and answer a few quick questions for us.
We respond to everyone, and so we will be in contact shortly after the closing date to let you know the outcome of your application.