Data Engineer, SQL
Data Engineer, SQL
- Location: UK Wide
- Salary: Competitive
- Contract Type: Permanent
- Ref: R002802490
- Closing Date: 05 March 2021
Nationwide has recently launched a new data strategy which will transform the way the organisation thinks about, values and manages its data. This new strategy includes areas such as reducing the number of legacy data stores that we have; simplifying our architectural landscape and ensuring that everyone throughout the business treats our data as a valued asset.
Delivering on this strategy is one of the key responsibilities of the Data Solutions team, which is part of the wider Data & Analytics community. With that in mind, we are currently looking for experienced Microsoft Data Engineers who have experience of working on data warehousing and business intelligence projects using the Microsoft stack.
What you’ll be doing
This role will focus on delivering data solutions onto our new Microsoft data platform. These solutions will encompass everything from smaller tactical fixes which help specific colleagues / small teams, to larger strategic designs aimed at solving complex business requirements for larger teams and departments.
You will form a key part of a team of engineers responsible for the implementation of data solutions onto the new IM estate in support of our strategy objective of simplifying our data landscape and delivery of insight and innovation. Working directly with business and IT stakeholders you will help to deliver best practise, innovation and automation in the industrialisation of complex strategic IT initiatives alongside smaller user driven demand.
You will bring a high level of motivation and innovation to the team, always looking for ways to expand your own skill set and searching for ways to do things better, quicker & cheaper.
Our ideal candidate would be a strong communicator who is comfortable working on their own or as part of a wider team. Technically, they have been using the Microsoft development stack to deliver business intelligence / data warehousing solutions for a number of years.
As a minimum requirement you will have the following skills:
- Strong T-SQL scripting knowledge
- SQL Server Integration Services (SSIS)
- Experience in designing & delivering solutions using Microsoft Visual Studio IDE
- Configuration Management in GIT / TFS
- Data Warehousing methodologies
- Experience working in Agile methodology
- Good stakeholder management skills
It would be nice if you also had:
- Exposure to report writing platforms such as Qlik, PowerBI or SQL Server Reporting Services (SSRS)
- Experience using other ETL tools such as Informatica or Talend
- Exposure to cloud technologies such as Microsoft Azure / Google Cloud / Amazon Web Services
- Python / C#
- Experience of DBA methodologies & processes
- Hadoop / Teradata / Linux scripting
The extras you’ll get
Our people’s success isn’t based on how long they spend at their desk. While you’ll have contracted hours, we want to offer a flexible environment where possible. That might be working from home, logging on from other offices across the UK, or working part time or compressed hours.
There are all sorts of employee benefits available at Nationwide, including:
- A personal pension – if you put in 7% of your salary, we’ll top up by a further 16%
- Up to 2 days of paid volunteering a year
- Life assurance worth 8x your salary
- A great selection of additional benefits through our salary sacrifice scheme
- Access to an annual performance related bonus
- Access to training to help you develop and progress your career
- 25 days holiday
- London location allowance
Why work at Nationwide
We’re a building society founded by ordinary people, our members, who came together to help each other get the most from their money, buy homes and save for their futures. For over 130 years, we’ve supported each other and our communities, and we’ve done the right thing for wider society too.
If you come to work here at Nationwide, you’ll be part of that. Part of something a bit different. And something really quite special.
What’s more, we have a strong ethic of care for each other and our members. We recognise that our employees feel most appreciated when their thoughts and values are respected and considered. We’re committed to creating a culture that recognises and truly values our individual differences and identities. So if you’d like to be a part of an inclusive workplace where you can be yourself, where your talents are nurtured, and you feel empowered to contribute, then please apply and help us in building society, nationwide.
What to do next
If this role is for you, please click the ‘Apply Now’ button. You’ll need to attach your up to date CV and answer a few quick questions for us.
We respond to everyone, and so we will be in contact shortly after the closing date to let you know the outcome of your application.