Data Engineer, Teradata
Data Engineer, Teradata
- Location: UK Wide
- Salary: Competitive
- Contract Type: Permanent
- Ref: R002802491
- Closing Date: 11 December 2020
Nationwide has recently launched a new data strategy which will transform the way the society thinks about, values and manages its data. As part of this new strategy the data & analytics community, and more specifically, the data solutions team has a number of exciting new roles to help deliver on the promises of reducing the number of legacy data stores, simplifying the architectural landscape and treating data as a valued asset.
This role will focus on delivering reporting and analytical solutions onto the society's enterprise data platform (Hadoop big data ecosystem and Teradata appliance) in support of both small Agile and larger scale project and user delivery.
Combining responsibilities for technical delivery alongside continuous improvement, innovation and automation, this exciting new role will provide the opportunity to work with some cutting-edge technologies.
What you’ll be doing
Reporting to a Snr Data Engineer, you will form a key part of a team of engineers responsible for the implementation of data solutions onto the new IM estate in support of our strategy objective of simplifying our data landscape and delivery of insight and innovation. Working directly with business and IT stakeholders you will help to deliver best practise, innovation and automation in the industrialisation of complex strategic IT initiatives alongside smaller user driven demand.
You will bring a high level of motivation and innovation to the team, always looking for ways to expand your own skill set and searching for ways to do things better, quicker & cheaper.
As a minimum requirement you’ll:
- Have at least 1 years’ experience of data lake and/or data warehouse delivery
- Experience of associated technologies, such as Python, R, Spark, HIVE, Scala
- Experience in data warehouse delivery
- Be a technical innovator with a curious mindset and a thirst for knowledge and be able to demonstrate a drive for continual improvement
- Be a strong team player who enjoys and thrives on collaboration across colleagues and teams
- Have excellent stakeholder management and influencing skills
It would be nice if you also had:
- Experience of working in an Agile environment using SCRUM/Kanban
- Hands-on experience of working within a DevOps environment with tooling such as Jenkins, Docker, Cucumber etc
The extras you’ll get
Our people’s success isn’t based on how long they spend at their desk. While you’ll have contracted hours, we want to offer a flexible environment where possible. That might be working from home, logging on from other offices across the UK, or working part time or compressed hours.
There are all sorts of employee benefits available at Nationwide, including:
- A personal pension – if you put in 7% of your salary, we’ll top up by a further 16%
- Up to 2 days of paid volunteering a year
- Life assurance worth 8x your salary
- A great selection of additional benefits through our salary sacrifice scheme
- Access to an annual performance related bonus
- Access to training to help you develop and progress your career
- 25 days holiday
Why work at Nationwide
We’re a building society founded by ordinary people, our members, who came together to help each other get the most from their money, buy homes and save for their futures. For over 130 years, we’ve supported each other and our communities, and we’ve done the right thing for wider society too.
If you come to work here at Nationwide, you’ll be part of that. Part of something a bit different. And something really quite special.
What’s more, we have a strong ethic of care for each other and our members. We recognise that our employees feel most appreciated when their thoughts and values are respected and considered. We’re committed to creating a culture that recognises and truly values our individual differences and identities. So if you’d like to be a part of an inclusive workplace where you can be yourself, where your talents are nurtured, and you feel empowered to contribute, then please apply and help us in building society, nationwide.
What to do next
If this role is for you, please click the ‘Apply Now’ button. You’ll need to attach your up to date CV and answer a few quick questions for us.
We respond to everyone, and so we will be in contact shortly after the closing date to let you know the outcome of your application.