- Location: Central London, London Area
- Salary: Competitive
- Contract Type: Permanent
- Ref: R002900011
- Closing Date: 23 September 2019
- Scrum Master, based in London
We are looking for an experienced Scrum Master to join Nationwide on its Agile journey. Whatever your background, we want to hear from you.
You will be working as part of the NDAP(Nationwide Digital Accelerator Platform) team, a former pathfinder set up to prove Nationwide’s ability to utilise a cloud platform for the benefit of its digital journeys. Having proven out the tech on several key journeys for Nationwide we are now looking to scale up quickly but also retain the amazing culture that we have developed so far. A large aspect of this is our expansion into London, part of a massive investment by Nationwide into its technology and people over the coming years.
You will get the opportunity to help shape the culture of NDAP’s presence in London, becoming a key part of the team here working with the latest cloud technology and industry leading engineers. Helping them to refine and develop our digital platform whilst communicating with key stakeholders and improving our ways of working to ensure we can adapt to change.
As a building society, everything we do is for our members, we’re run for and on behalf of them, not shareholders. So, if you have a passion for doing the right thing in the right way for our members, this role may be for you.
Who we're looking for
Our Scrum Masters are there for the team, they support the team to be the best they can be. They ensure the team are following Agile mindset, values, principles ensuring they prioritise “being Agile” over “Doing Agile”, to sustain an environment of safety and collaboration, that creates value for our members.
We’re looking for someone who will:
- Have strong knowledge of Agile approaches and frameworks, preferably with experience of agile deliveries within financial services.
- Have experience on the effective coaching of people to be awesome with practical experience of using the Agile Mindset, Values, Principles and Practices to be.
- The role is not a Project Manager, it is a true Scrum Master role. However, this means anyone who has an affinity for making people and teams great could be just the person we are looking for.
- Be adaptive in your approach to the application of agile methodologies appropriate for the situation.
- Build strong relationships with Product Owners and other stakeholders, ensure effective Agile ceremonies, identify and resolve impediments, protect and manage the team’s sprint commitment, track team progress vs. commitment during each iteration.
- Be confident in their abilities to facilitate sessions and ceremonies for the benefit of the team, guiding them towards the required outcomes on behalf of the wider business.
- Be comfortable working autonomously but also as part of a cross-functional team. Adapting your skill set depending on the needs of your team.
What you'll be doing
You will exhibit and help the team continue to embrace an Agile mindset and apply Agile approaches within their work. You will support the team reaching an alliance on what can be achieved, supporting the team in being self-sustainable, and cross-functional to maximise the delivery of member value.
You will advise on evolving practices and when applicable suggest and implement possible improvements to enable the team to be more effective. However, more powerfully you will create a safe environment for all team members to solve their own problems and be the best they can be.
You will want to continuously support the team in removing impediments and educate the team in the value of Agile events to deliver value in the most effective and efficient manner. You will protect the team from outside influences that can affect their focus, enabling a collaborative team that embodies our shared culture.
You will foster a learning culture based on continuous improvement and a thirst for innovation. This is to ensure we deliver sustainable value as fast as possible for the continued benefit of our members.
You will go above and beyond, being agile not only in your beliefs but in your actions as well. Being flexible to meet the needs of not only the team you work with on a day to day basis, but the needs of the wider team to enable their success.
We are currently expanding our team’s presence in London and as such are undergoing rapid growth. We are passionate about the culture we have built and want to continue to develop our own unique identity. As one of the first Scrum Masters in London, this will be an essential and critical part of your role.
Face to face engagement is a key part in maintaining our culture, which means you will be required to travel between London and our head office in Swindon.
The extras you'll get
If you put a lot in, it’s only fair you should get a lot out. So, if you help us do the right thing for our members, we’ll help further your career with us.
As part of our team you’ll get:
- Access to training to help you progress and develop your technical skills and career
- Pension scheme where if you pay in 7% we’ll top it up to 23%
- Life assurance worth 8x your salary
- 24 days’ holiday plus bank holidays
- The ability to 'buy’ up to 10 days more holiday
- Flexible benefits scheme giving you access to discount vouchers at various retail outlets
- Access to an annual performance related bonus scheme
Work with PRIDE
Why work for us?
At Nationwide we have a strong ethic of care, and a genuine concern for each other and our members. We recognise that our employees feel most appreciated when their thoughts and values are respected and considered. We are committed to creating a culture that recognises and truly values our individual differences and identities.
If you’d like to be a part of an inclusive workplace where you can be yourself, where your talents are nurtured and you feel empowered to contribute then please apply and help us in building society, nationwide.