- Location: Swindon, London
- Salary: Competitive
- Contract Type: Permanent
- Ref: R00AOR00048
- Closing Date: 29 January 2021
As a Senior Strategist, you will be responsible for bringing insights and strategy development expertise and will collaborate with other senior strategists to describe and set direction (across financial, transformation and operational lenses), creating clear and actionable plans for others in the Society to deliver.
You will be responsible for challenging, influencing and shaping the Society’s priorities, whilst making connections between multiple cross-organisation initiatives to identify, understand and mitigate potential inter-dependencies.
Location(s): Working from home, Swindon & London offices
Flexibility on working hours/days
Closing date 29th January 2021
At Nationwide we openly put our 15 million members at the centre of every decision we make as a business. Every role, no matter what it’s doing, is member focused.
As a Society, we’re on a hugely exciting and ambitious journey to evolve fundamental elements of our strategy as we operate in a world that is moving faster than ever before. Needs, expectations and behaviours are changing, and technology and regulation are driving unprecedented disruption and creating new opportunities.
So we’re looking for experienced Strategists to join our Strategy Community to help our team evolve to respond to the increased challenges we face into by shaping and driving the development of our Strategy.
What you’ll be doing
You will be responsible for describing and setting direction creating clear and actional plans for others in the Society to deliver. You will be accountable for;
- Leading work to create and develop strategies that set out clear direction and actions to be taken for others across a range of different contexts
- Leading the development of high-quality strategic plans through the application of recognised, professional and robust strategic analysis development tools / frameworks
- Owning the definition and communication of strategic plans, including: the creation of strategy documents and financial information
- Supporting Nationwide’s senior leaders in their development and thinking on strategic development topics through the creation of insights, perspectives and recommendations.
- Creating strong, collaborative and effective working relationships with colleagues from across the Society to bring specialist knowledge, resource and leadership to strategy development projects.
- Owning the ongoing development of external market, industry, strategy and sector knowledge – both individually and broadly across the strategy community – seeking to ensure that Nationwide strategies are informed with the latest thinking and perspectives.
We’re interested in people who enjoy looking ahead, thinking strategically and seeing the bigger picture, we would also like you to have:
- Extensive strategic development expertise and experience with practical experiences of using recognised development frameworks and approaches
- Experience of working in a strategy consultancy practice
- Excellent communication skills with the ability to advise, challenge & influence at a senior level within the business
- Superior experience navigating large and complex organisations, including gaining access to key senior stakeholders and successfully managing relationships
- Exceptional self-drive and commitment striving for excellence
- Outstanding written skills including the ability to write insightful and engaging content that encompasses clear, compelling communications
- Strong financial analytical skills with the ability to draw useful insights and recommendations
- We would prefer you to have retail financial services experience.
We’re also interested in who you are as a person. Why? Because our membership is made up of so many different kinds of people, so we want our employees to be just as diverse. We’d love to hear about:
- Your values, and what makes you who you are
- How you’d make a difference to our members in this role
We know applying for jobs can sometimes feel like you’re sending an application into a black hole. We review each application individually. So, it’s a good idea to call out your most relevant experience on your application to give yourself the best chance.
The extras you’ll get
Our people’s success isn’t based on how long they spend at their desk. While you’ll have contracted hours, we want to offer a flexible environment where possible. That might be working from home, logging on from other offices across the UK, or working part time or compressed hours.
We’ve let you know about the flexibility available for this role at the start of the advert. This means you can quickly decide if it suits how you’d like to work.
There are all sorts of employee benefits available at Nationwide, including:
- A personal pension – if you put in 7% of your salary, we’ll top up by a further 16%
- Up to 2 days of paid volunteering a year
- Life assurance worth 8x your salary
- A great selection of additional benefits through our salary sacrifice scheme
- Access to an annual performance related bonus
- Access to training to help you develop and progress your career
- 25 days holiday
- Status car allowance
- Individual healthcare cover
Why work at Nationwide
We’re a building society founded by ordinary people, our members, who came together to help each other get the most from their money, buy homes and save for their futures. For over 130 years, we’ve supported each other and our communities, and we’ve done the right thing for wider society too.
If you come to work here at Nationwide, you’ll be part of that. Part of something a bit different. And something really quite special.
What’s more, we have a strong ethic of care for each other and our members. We recognise that our employees feel most appreciated when their thoughts and values are respected and considered. We’re committed to creating a culture that recognises and truly values our individual differences and identities. So if you’d like to be a part of an inclusive workplace where you can be yourself, where your talents are nurtured, and you feel empowered to contribute, then please apply and help us in building society, nationwide.
What to do next
If this role is for you, please click the ‘Apply Now’ button. You’ll need to attach your up to date CV and answer a few quick questions for us.
We respond to everyone, and so we will be in contact shortly after the closing date to let you know the outcome of your application.