Data Risk Lead Reviewer - BCBS 239
Data Risk Lead Reviewer - BCBS 239
- Location(s): UK Wide
- Salary: Competitive
- Contract Type: Permanent
- Ref: R00AOR00341
- Closing Date: 27 June 2021
- We're happy to consider flexible working approaches for this role
Nationwide Building Society are always striving to better ourselves to deliver an excellent service for our 15 million members; services relevant to the digital age but with the continuing personal touch. Members are at the heart of everything we do.
In this Risk Lead Reviewer position, you will help us analyse and validate we are managing our business using our Risk Management Framework in the right way to protect our members money. You will be working in Operational Risk Oversight within the Second Line of Defence, supporting the business and the board in making risk-informed decisions. Yes, this role is critical to supporting Board decisions as we offer our independent opinion on the decisions proposed.
That’s why we need a specialist in Data Management to join the newly formed Data Risk management team. This role provides oversight of Data management but with a key ownership of the Society’s BCBS 239 adherence. Outside of BCBS, there is assurance activity on all things Data including, Data Governance, GDPR and DPA. This team is part of a wider oversight team which supports on IT & Resilience, Payments, Digital and Supply Chain risk to name a few which enables a degree of cross skilling and skills uplift as the “one team” ethos is central to all we do.
You’ll have contracted hours, but we’re always happy to support flexible working wherever we can. That might mean working from home or different Nationwide offices or agreeing a working pattern to help you balance work and life. We will always strive to find a way that works for everyone.
The role is paying up to £47K on a permanent basis
What you’ll be doing
You will work closely with the First (Business Areas) and Third (Audit) Lines of Defence, with exposure to Senior Leadership.
Specific responsibilities will include providing Risk Oversight on the effective management of:
- Conducting and leading in-depth risk reviews each quarter, making recommendations for improvement of controls. This can include analysis of data, reports and interviewing stakeholders to gather your opinion. Any recommendations raised will then need to be followed through to closure with First Line
- Maintaining a strong internal and external network to keep up to date on the data risk profile and activities within Data and Analytics to ensure they are recording and managing risks in line with the Society’s Risk Framework
- Reviewing decision papers from First Line, assessing the risk profile, and offering appropriate challenge or support to the proposal. In meetings this is completed face to face but in writing for formal committee or Board papers.
- Maintaining knowledge of risk trends across the sector that could be used to inform Oversight activity.
This role will be ideal for you if you have experience of:
- Detailed understanding of BCBS 239 principals
- Experienced in BCBS assessments is preferable, but evidence of managing complex regulatory assessments will be considered
- Understanding of Data Management and the controls
- Operational Risk Management practices
As a minimum you will demonstrate the following attributes :
- Strong Analytical skills to generate insightful recommendations
- Excellent communication skills (written and oral), to supply regular commentary in the specialist area for Board papers to articulate critical risks succulently and highlighting key actions required to mitigate risks
- Strong influencing skills to engage senior leadership to own recommendations to improve risk control and to maintain effective working relationships to monitor progress of Society’s critical risks
- Attention to detail to assess whether documentation meets the society’s Risk taxonomy Policies and standards as part of regular review activity
- Good planning and organisation skills evidenced through delivering reviews on time
It would be nice if you also had:
- A relevant industry recognised qualification or equivalent
The extras you’ll get
There are all sorts of employee benefits available at Nationwide, including:
- A personal pension – if you put in 7% of your salary, we’ll top up by a further 16%
- Up to 2 days of paid volunteering a year
- Life assurance worth 8x your salary
- A great selection of additional benefits through our salary sacrifice scheme
- Access to an annual performance related bonus
- Access to training to help you develop and progress your career
- 25 days holiday
Why work at Nationwide
We’re a building society founded by ordinary people, our members, who came together to help each other get the most from their money, buy homes and save for their futures. For over 130 years, we’ve supported each other and our communities, and we’ve done the right thing for wider society too.
If you come to work here at Nationwide, you’ll be part of that. Part of something a bit different. And something really quite special.
What’s more, we have a strong ethic of care for each other and our members. We recognise that our employees feel most appreciated when their thoughts and values are respected and considered. We’re committed to creating a culture that recognises and truly values our individual differences and identities. So, if you’d like to be a part of an inclusive workplace where you can be yourself, where your talents are nurtured, and you feel empowered to contribute, then please apply and help us in building society, nationwide.
What to do next
If this role is for you, please click the ‘Apply Now’ button. You’ll need to attach your up to date CV and answer a few quick questions for us.
We respond to everyone, so we will be in contact shortly after the closing date to let you know the outcome of your application.