Senior Mortgage Underwriter
Senior Mortgage Underwriter
- Location(s): UK Wide
- Salary: £27,484 - £39,699
- Contract Type: Permanent
- Ref: R00AOR00766
- Closing Date: 26 September 2021
- We're happy to consider flexible working approaches for this role
- Senior Mortgage Underwriter
- Up to £35k a year (depending on skills and experience) on a permanent 35 hours per week contract.
We are looking for an experienced mortgage underwriter in our busy specialist lending team who can manually assess higher risk and complex mortgage applications to ensure that they are within our risk appetite. You’ll need to be able to support and coach colleagues as well as uphold exemplary customer service standards.
At Nationwide we openly put our 15 million members at the centre of every decision we make as a business. Every role, no matter what it’s doing, is member focused.
Due to COVID-19 the way we are operating as an organisation is changing. As we try to navigate the varying and unprecedented landscape we are continuing to work on how and where our teams work during this time. We are happy to support flexible working wherever we can. That might mean working from home or a Nationwide office. We will look to agree a working pattern to help you balance work and life and will always strive to find a way that works for everyone.
What you’ll be doing
You’ll achieve a £2m lending mandate and apply this across a range of Buy To Let mortgage propositions, using your judgement and experience to make fully reasoned underwriting decisions that reflect the need to maximise new business whilst protecting the integrity of our mortgage book. The lending mandate associated with the role carries the authority to make exceptions to lending policy and you will manage a pipeline of mortgage applications efficiently from application to offer, owning and resolving issues as they arise to ensure the best possible customer experience.
The role will require you to coach and support colleagues in your own team, as well as across the wider business, using your detailed criteria and industry knowledge. There will sometimes be challenges to your decisions and you’ll need to stay resolute unless new and substantive information is provided, always communicating with introducers in a way that they will understand.
- You’ll need to have held a lending mandate and have experience of manually underwriting complex mortgage applications. You must be able to investigate, identify and consider the risks associated with each application and use personal judgement to make holistic lending decisions.
- Experience of underwriting Buy to Let mortgage applications including large portfolios and limited company applications would be beneficial.
- We’ll need you to demonstrate extensive knowledge of the mortgage industry including regulatory requirements and industry best practices.
- You’ll be a strong communicator with a track record for managing stakeholder relationships while underwriting to the highest standard.
- An individual who can self-motivate and thrive under pressure whilst maintaining accuracy and providing excellent customer service.
The extras you’ll get
There are all sorts of employee benefits available at Nationwide, including:
- A personal pension – if you put in 7% of your salary, we’ll top up by a further 16%
- Up to 2 days of paid volunteering a year
- Life assurance worth 8x your salary
- A great selection of additional benefits through our salary sacrifice scheme
- Access to an annual performance related bonus
- Access to training to help you develop and progress your career
- 25 days holiday
Why work at Nationwide
We’re a building society founded by ordinary people, our members, who came together to help each other get the most from their money, buy homes and save for their futures. For over 130 years, we’ve supported each other and our communities, and we’ve done the right thing for wider society too.
If you come to work here at Nationwide, you’ll be part of that. Part of something a bit different. And something really quite special.
What’s more, we have a strong ethic of care for each other and our members. We recognise that our employees feel most appreciated when their thoughts and values are respected and considered. We’re committed to creating a culture that recognises and truly values our individual differences and identities. So, if you’d like to be a part of an inclusive workplace where you can be yourself, where your talents are nurtured, and you feel empowered to contribute, then please apply and help us in building society, nationwide.
What to do next
If this role is for you, please click the ‘Apply Now’ button. You’ll need to attach your up to date CV and answer a few quick questions for us.
We respond to everyone, so we will be in contact shortly after the closing date to let you know the outcome of your application.