Head of Inclusion, Diversity and Wellbeing
Head of Inclusion, Diversity and Wellbeing
- Location(s): UK Wide
- Salary: Competitive
- Contract Type: Permanent
- Ref: R00AOR00833
- Closing Date: 25 October 2021
- We're happy to consider flexible working approaches for this role
As Head of Inclusion, Diversity and Wellbeing, you’ll lead the team and the support Society, to build an inclusive culture where everyone can thrive and a Society that reflects the diversity of the communities we serve. You’ll help create a better Society for our people, so they can build a better society for our members.
You’ll use your experience of shaping inclusion strategy and propositions to drive wide-scale organisational change, deliver meaningful impact and transform Nationwide’s culture. To achieve this, you’ll be outcomes-focussed and insights-led, understanding the complexities and nuances of the agenda, to ensure that action is tailored to accelerate progress and achieve results in line with our Inclusion & Diversity mission. You’ll lead the team in identifying opportunities to be braver and bolder, testing and learning to not only influence positive change within the organisation but leading the way externally.
In this role, you will be directly involved in Nationwide’s responsible business agenda, embedding inclusion, diversity and wellbeing in everything we do. This is a fantastic opportunity to make a real difference in an organisation famed for its values and sense of social purpose. At Nationwide we openly put our 15 million members at the centre of every decision we make as a business. Every role, no matter what it’s doing, is member focused.
This role is within the People and Culture community, which is responsible for supporting our people and ensuring we create a culture and environment to enable the Society’s objectives of building a stronger, kinder and greener society, nationwide.
Reporting to the People Strategy and Propositions Director, you’ll be part of the People Strategy leadership. You will lead a small team of inclusion, diversity and wellbeing professionals who work collaboratively with the wider People Strategy team and People and Culture community, as well as inclusion partners and wellbeing champions across the Society, to achieve our strategy and mission. Your level of influence will therefore be across all levels and organisation-wide.
This is a new role, reflecting Nationwide’s commitment to inclusion, diversity and wellbeing and driving meaningful change at an accelerated pace towards our ambition for the agenda.
You will have a unique and compelling opportunity to work at an enterprise level, supporting the ‘Nationwide Leadership Team’ (CEO and ExCo) and the Board to embed the Society’s Future of Work Strategy, Inclusion & Diversity Mission and commitment to colleague wellbeing. This will require strong skills in influencing and inspiring change, among senior stakeholders and across the organisation, as well as challenging and holding people to account so we can achieve our ambitions.
Your success isn’t based on how long you spend at your desk or where you’re based. You’ll have contracted hours, but we’re always happy to support flexible working wherever we can. That might mean working from home or different Nationwide offices or agreeing a working pattern to help you balance work and life. We will always strive to find a way that works for everyone.
We are keen to attract a diverse applicant pool for this role.
If we receive a high volume of relevant applications, we may close the advert earlier than the advertised date, so please apply as soon as you can.
What you’ll be doing
Responsibilities in this role will include but not be limited to:
- Influencing and inspiring leaders to use data and insights to inform decisions and drive positive action across the organisation
- Delivering and continuing to evolve our 3-5 year inclusion strategy to ensure we target propositions and action in the areas that will help us achieve our ambitions and in support of the Society’s Future of Work Strategy, values and purpose
- Increase accountability among leaders and all business areas to meaningfully impact the agenda, through challenge, feedback and strong performance goals
- Reviewing all processes, policies and experiences across the People and Culture community to identify areas to mitigate bias and to enhance our ability to achieve our inclusion, diversity and wellbeing ambitions, as well as in line with our organisational values
- Lead the inclusion, diversity and wellbeing team, setting the vision, empowering and energising your people to work at their full potential and as a team of industry-leading professionals
- A key deliverable for the first 12 months of the role will be building a bolder voice on inclusion, diversity and wellbeing, backed by tangible proofpoints – this will involve developing an internal campaign underpinned by a substantive initiative, policy or process change
We’ll need you to have significant experience shaping strategies and propositions to drive meaningful impact and change on the inclusion, diversity and wellbeing agendas. You will need a proven track record of enterprise leadership, not only leading your direct team but influencing and leading across the organisation to successfully delivering outcomes in line with a strategy and vision.
You’ll be well versed in the latest best practice, external trends and research, as well as able to synthesise compelling insights from internal data. With a creative and innovative approach, you will comfortably apply this knowledge to inform and develop strategy and decision making as well as leading the team and team’s delivery.
Commercially, you’ll have strong business acumen, and ability to manage multiple priorities and deliverables and to support comprehensive and compelling business cases.
It goes without saying that you’ll be an excellent communicator, highly adept at engaging stakeholders from the Board down, with unrivalled negotiation and influencing capabilities.
You’ll possess an innate ability to adapt your style to the audience, interpret and articulate messages, sentiments and expressions in a way that is appropriate to the context and impactful.
Externally, you’ll have a reputation for your area of expertise, with trusted relationships and a network of relevant external stakeholders.
We’re also interested in who you are as a person. Why? Because our membership is made up of so many different kinds of people, so we want our employees to be just as diverse. We’d love to hear about:
- Your values, and what makes you who you are
- How you’d make a difference to our members in this role
We know applying for jobs can sometimes feel like you’re sending an application into a black hole. We review each application individually. So, it’s a good idea to call out your most relevant experience on your application to give yourself the best chance.
The extras you’ll get
There are all sorts of employee benefits available at Nationwide, including:
- A personal pension – if you put in 7% of your salary, we’ll top up by a further 16%
- Up to 2 days of paid volunteering a year
- Life assurance worth 8x your salary
- A great selection of additional benefits through our salary sacrifice scheme
- Access to an annual performance related bonus
- Access to training to help you develop and progress your career
- 30 days holiday, pro rata
- Individual healthcare cover
- Anything else specific to the role
Why work at Nationwide
We’re a building society founded by ordinary people, our members, who came together to help each other get the most from their money, buy homes and save for their futures. For over 130 years, we’ve supported each other and our communities, and we’ve done the right thing for wider society too.
If you come to work here at Nationwide, you’ll be part of that. Part of something a bit different. And something really quite special.
What’s more, we have a strong ethic of care for each other and our members. We recognise that our employees feel most appreciated when their thoughts and values are respected and considered. We’re committed to creating a culture that recognises and truly values our individual differences and identities. So, if you’d like to be a part of an inclusive workplace where you can be yourself, where your talents are nurtured, and you feel empowered to contribute, then please apply and help us in building society, nationwide
What to do next
If this role is for you, please click the ‘Apply Now’ button. You’ll need to attach your up to date CV and answer a few quick questions for us.
We respond to everyone, so we will be in contact shortly after the closing date to let you know the outcome of your application.