Operational Risk Oversight Manager - Finance
Operational Risk Oversight Manager - Finance
- Location(s): UK Wide
- Salary: Paying up to £65,000
- Contract Type: Permanent
- Ref: R00AOR01583
- Closing Date: 30 May 2022
- We're happy to consider flexible working approaches for this role
Based in the Risk Community we are looking for a Risk Manager Lead to provide 2nd line Oversight of operational risk for the Finance & Efficiency Community. This will involve carrying out Reviews, writing Opinion papers and providing review and challenge of key business decisions. You will be part of a small team who provide 2nd line Oversight of: Finance & Efficiency, People & Culture, Risk, Legal & Secretariate and 2nd line Oversight of adherence to the Operational & Conduct Risk Management Framework (OCRMF).
At Nationwide we openly put our 15 million members at the centre of every decision we make as a business. Every role, no matter what it’s doing, is member focused.
At Nationwide we operate a three lines of defence model and you will need to work with all of them. You will carry out joint reviews across 2nd line and working with Internal Audit to deliver a joined-up view of the risk environment whilst minimising business disruption.
Working directly with the Finance & Efficiency Community you will need to be a qualified accountant with experience of working with financials controls and understand the regulatory environment as it relates to UK Financial Services. As well as working directly with 1st line risk teams you will also need to work closely with our Financial Risk Oversight team to ensure we have a joined-up 2nd line Oversight approach.
Your success isn’t based on how long you spend at your desk. You’ll have contracted hours, but we’re always happy to support flexible working wherever we can. That might mean working from home or different Nationwide offices to attend meetings or considering working patterns to support balance between work and life. We will always strive to find a way that works for everyone.
What you’ll be doing
The role will involve:
- Delivering Operational Risk Oversight reviews and opinion papers, as well as carrying out in the moment review and challenge to support the delivery of the Non-Financial Risk Oversight plan with a clear focus on the Finance & Efficiency Community and related Risk Categories
- Maintain high value relationships with key stakeholders and in depth understanding of key business priorities to ensure a view of Operational & Conduct Risk is prevalent at key committees, forums and working groups within Finance & Efficiency
- Work closely with colleagues across the 3 Lines of Defence, liaise with other risk Oversight areas within Non-Financial Risk and Financial Risk to ensure a joined-up approach to Oversight
- Provide cross team support on other Oversight activities for example review of Operational & conduct Risk Framework adherence and maturity assessments
- Understand wider Society impact and implications for Risk Community driven initiatives and helping to translate these into practical recommendations for senior management across the business areas you support
- Qualified accountant (or equivalent) with relevant financial services experience
- Relevant professional qualification or experience of operational and conduct risk management
- Proven ability to both challenge and engage senior audiences (up to and including Director level) on operational and conduct risk
- Ability to develop strong working relationships at all levels within the business and to command respect from business leaders
- Excellent communication skills, written and verbal.
- Proven influencing skills
- Organisation and planning/time management
- Ability to act decisively, objectively and maintain independence
- Ability to comprehend and assimilate complex information rapidly across a range of diverse business areas
- Strong desire to produce work to the highest standards that is able to withstand challenge
The extras you’ll get
There are all sorts of employee benefits available at Nationwide, including:
- A personal pension – if you put in 7% of your salary, we’ll top up by a further 16%
- Up to 2 days of paid volunteering a year
- Life assurance worth 8x your salary
- A great selection of additional benefits through our salary sacrifice scheme
- Access to an annual performance related bonus
- Access to training to help you develop and progress your career
- 25 days holiday
- Status car allowance - £4,656 per annum
Why work at Nationwide
We’re different from other financial service providers. We’re a building society, owned by our members. And for over 130 years, we’ve supported those members to make the most of their money and achieve what they want from life.
That’s reflected in the way we work here at Nationwide. We come together to make sure we’re doing things in the best way possible, both for each other and for our members. If you join us, you’ll be part of that. You’ll be able to help us build something really quite special. And you’ll have the opportunity to make a real difference.
On top of that, we always want you to be yourself. To use your skills and experience to make our Society stronger. To feel valued for who you are, not just what you do. Because here at Nationwide, we understand that we can do more together than we ever could alone.
What to do next
If this role is for you, please click the ‘Apply Now’ button. You’ll need to attach your up to date CV and answer a few quick questions for us.
We respond to everyone, so we will be in contact shortly after the closing date to let you know the outcome of your application.