Compliance Oversight Manager
Are you an inquisitive person that is passionate about making money easier for members to manage, for making finances more accessible and for making the day to day business of banking simple? If so read on, this role might just be for you! As a Compliance Oversight Manager, you’ll be a key part of the team responsible for monitoring conduct and compliance risks by planning, leading and delivering complex regulatory and thematic reviews to a high standard and within deadlines. This could be across any area of the business. This role will provide the opportunity to be part of a small, close knit team who are passionate about the work they do and are technical specialists in their fields.
Compliance Oversight is a key part of Nationwide’s second line of defence. Alongside our Financial, Economic Crime and Operational risk colleagues, we are responsible for ensuring the Society delivers its strategy in a safe and controlled way, appropriately balancing risk and reward. We undertake risk-based regulatory and thematic reviews on products, projects, processes and frameworks to ensure that Nationwide remains compliant with applicable regulation and legislation and delivers good member outcomes.
At Nationwide we offer hybrid working wherever possible. More rewarding relationships are supported through our hybrid approach, bringing colleagues together across our UK wide estate, whilst also supporting generous access to home working. We value our time in the office to solve problems, to learn, and to feel connected.
For this job you'll spend at least two days per week, or if part time you'll spend 40% of your working time, at one of our offices. If your application is successful, your hiring manager will provide further details on how this works. You can also find out more about our approach to hybrid working here.
You will work from Swindon or Bournemouth twice per week.
If we receive a high volume of relevant applications, we may close the advert earlier than the advertised date, so please apply as soon as you can.
What you’ll be doing
You’ll pose important and challenging questions to the business asking if we are ‘doing the right thing’? You will need to be able to connect the dots and weigh up the impact on both members and colleagues. So, confidence in providing constructive challenge based on rigorous analysis and testing, as well as asking the difficult questions in a range of environments is crucial.
You’ll be responsible for:
- Planning, leading and delivering complex regulatory and thematic reviews
- Ensuring the reviews are delivered on time and add value
- Raising and documenting control issues and conduct and regulatory breaches
- Tracking issues from agreement through to the delivery of actions by stakeholders
- Designing test schedules to meet review objectives, such as assessing frameworks, processes and procedures
- Using your communication skills to build long-lasting and effective relationships with key stakeholders
- Using your influencing and negotiating skills to achieve effective outcomes
- Supporting the team to effectively risk prioritise future reviews
- Identifying key conduct and compliance risks for the Society which highlight key areas of oversight coverage for the annual plan
- Providing support and challenge to the annual Scenario Analysis programme
- Coaching and developing review teams professional and technical knowledge
- Knowledge and understanding of the FCA’s Conduct Risk agenda
- Detailed knowledge of FCA and PRA regulatory handbooks and how these are applied in practice
- Have experience of working in an oversight, assurance, audit or controls testing type role
- Proven analytical skills, with the ability to understand and interpret business knowledge
- Detailed knowledge and experience of identifying key Conduct and Compliance risks
- Be an excellent and enthusiastic communicator (both verbally and written), who is comfortable to effectively engage and influence senior stakeholders
- Have a naturally curious and inquisitive approach to work, proactively questioning the status quo where appropriate
- Be resilient and not shy away from having difficult conversations
- Be able to effectively and efficiently manage activity demands
- Have experience in coaching and supporting team members
- Have a background in, or extensive knowledge of, financial services
- Hold a relevant industry-recognised compliance qualification
Our Customer First behaviours are all about putting customers and members at the heart of how we work together. You can strengthen your application by showing the behaviours that resonate with you, and how you might have already demonstrated these.
- Say it straight - This is about being honest and direct with good intent and saying what needs to be said in the room. It’s also about being clear, precise, and using language that we and, importantly, our customers and members can understand.
- Push for better - This is about aiming high and constantly looking for better in how we work together and serve our customers and members.
- Get it done - This is about prioritising what will have the greatest impact, being decisive and taking accountability for delivering on the end-to-end outcome.
We know applying for jobs can sometimes feel like you’re sending an application into a black hole. We review each application individually. So, it’s a good idea to call out your most relevant experience on your application to give yourself the best chance.
The extras you’ll get
There are all sorts of employee benefits available at Nationwide, including:
- A personal pension – if you put in 7% of your salary, we’ll top up by a further 16%
- Up to 2 days of paid volunteering a year
- Life assurance worth 8x your salary
- A great selection of additional benefits through our salary sacrifice scheme
- Gympass – Access to a range of free and paid options for health and wellness.
- Access to an annual performance related bonus
- Access to training to help you develop and progress your career
- 25 days holiday, pro rata
What makes us different
Nationwide is the world’s largest building society. With over 15 million customers, we have a relationship with almost a quarter of the UK’s population. We’ve got the scale to compete with the big banks, but we’re not a bank.
As a building society, we’re owned by our members – that’s our customers who have their current account, mortgage or savings with us. It means we can do things differently to deliver our Purpose – Banking – but fairer, more rewarding, and for the good of society.
When you work at Nationwide, you can experience that difference for yourself. You’ll be part of a high-performing, purpose-driven organisation that offers rewarding career experiences and a highly competitive range of benefits to match. You’ll also be joining us at an important time as we seek to reach more and more people in the UK. We want everyone in the UK to know that they don’t have to bank with a bank. They can choose a modern mutual instead.
What to do next
If this role is for you, please click the ‘Apply Now’ button. You’ll need to attach your up-to-date CV and answer a few quick questions for us.
We respond to everyone, so we will be in contact shortly after the closing date to let you know the outcome of your application.
Financial Reward Package
To see a ball-park figure of how the pounds in your pocket could add up, put a salary figure in the box below and hit the Calculate Now button. As if by magic, a chart will appear giving an indication of what these financial benefits could look like.
Calculate your reward
Enter your salary and we will calculate your overall reward.
This is the total amount you earn per year
The figures and percentages shown here are an illustration only. Your actual salary and benefits will be detailed in your contract of employment if you join us. For example, your role could include a car allowance, relocation expenses or other benefits not shown here.
Here’s the legal bit: The infographic is an indicative summary of some of the key benefits which you may receive if you are employed by Nationwide and these are subject to variation by Nationwide at its discretion. If you work part-time, some benefits may be pro-rated. This document provides an illustrative summary only and does not create any contractual rights.