Business Support Manager – Chief Risk Office
We need an inspiring and motivated individual who has the ability to think conceptually and drive innovation at all levels. Who is passionate about networking and interacting with a range of stakeholders, but isn’t afraid to ‘say is straight’.
So, do you have a strong business acumen coupled with the ability to manage pressure whilst making high-level decisions? Do you thrive on challenge, even when the going gets tough?
If yes, and you’re looking for your next move, and would jump at the opportunity to report directly in to an ExCo member, this could be the role for you.
As a Business Support Manager for the Chief Risk Officer (CRO), you’ll be the person who ensures that the CRO is prepped and briefed for all meetings and events, whilst also supporting with Function wide communications. You’ll develop and apply your expert understanding of Risk to undertake research on behalf of the CRO whilst also identifying emerging risks of interest. You’ll be required to network, and stakeholder management will form a key part of the role. But, there is also no getting away from the fact that you’ll need to deal with as many incoming queries to the CRO Office as possible, which might include administrative matters and customer correspondence.
This role is within the Risk Function, where all employees play their part in helping deliver the Society’s strategy in a safe, controlled, and sustainable way for both current and future customers. The Function is founded upon a set of key values (integrity, professionalism, expertise, continuous learning, and courage) and is keen to make sure that as an organisation we appropriately balance risk and reward.
At Nationwide we offer hybrid working wherever possible. More rewarding relationships are supported through our hybrid approach, bringing colleagues together across our UK wide estate, whilst also supporting generous access to home working. We value our time in the office to solve problems, to learn, and to feel connected.
For this job you'll spend at least two days per week, or if part time you'll spend 40% of your working time, at one of our offices. If your application is successful, your hiring manager will provide further details on how this works. You can also find out more about our approach to hybrid working here.
You will be expected to work from our London or Swindon office a minimum of twice per week. We also require flexibility to travel between both offices as required.
If we receive a high volume of relevant applications, we may close the advert earlier than the advertised date, so please apply as soon as you can.
What you’ll be doing
This role will be varied and multi-faceted and will require you to manage your work in a dynamic, agile, and fast paced environment.
You’ll develop and apply your broad knowledge of the subjects for which the Risk Function is accountable, and use your inquisitive mindset, to undertake research on key topics for CRO speeches or emerging risks of interest to the CRO.
You’ll work with regulatory relations on briefings for the CRO, whilst also ensuring that the CRO is prepared for any material meetings or events. In addition, there will be a need for you to keep reasonable steps records up to date, including note taking in key meetings such as those with Chair of Board Risk Committee (BRC).
From supporting with function wide communications, to dealing with as many incoming queries as possible (which might include administrative matters and customer correspondence), you’ll also read Board papers to help ensure any issues are caught or briefings prepared.
To be successful in this role you will have:
- You will be required to consistently produce & create presentations and briefings that clearly communicate, impact and transfer knowledge to the audience.
- Excellent people and stakeholder management skills - after all you’ll need to build constructive and collaborative relationships with people across the Society, as well as external stakeholders, so you’ll need to develop trust and be comfortable challenging and influencing those in more senior positions.
- Strong organisational awareness with an impressive understanding of compliance and conduct risk with a regulatory focus.
- You will have extensive experience of meeting governance objectives.
- An ability to understand multiple complex issues and lead/contribute to strategic debates as well as commenting on general business issues.
- Impeccable administrative skills – after all you’ll be responsible for supporting the Chief Risk Officer with action tracking and prioritisation, as well as keeping reasonable steps records up to date.
- You will have had previous exposure to regulation / regulatory requirements from PRA/FCA
- The ability to think conceptually and drive innovation at all levels so as to foster an environment of idea generation in order to improve the business model.
Our Customer First behaviours are all about putting customers and members at the heart of how we work together. You can strengthen your application by showing the behaviours that resonate with you, and how you might have already demonstrated these.
- Say it straight - This is about being honest and direct with good intent and saying what needs to be said in the room. It’s also about being clear, precise, and using language that we and, importantly, our customers and members can understand.
- Push for better - This is about aiming high and constantly looking for better in how we work together and serve our customers and members.
- Get it done - This is about prioritising what will have the greatest impact, being decisive and taking accountability for delivering on the end-to-end outcome.
We know applying for jobs can sometimes feel like you’re sending an application into a black hole. We review each application individually. So, it’s a good idea to call out your most relevant experience on your application to give yourself the best chance.
The extras you’ll get
There are all sorts of employee benefits available at Nationwide, including:
- A personal pension – if you put in 7% of your salary, we’ll top up by a further 16%
- Up to 2 days of paid volunteering a year
- Life assurance worth 8x your salary
- A great selection of additional benefits through our salary sacrifice scheme
- Gympass – Access to a range of free and paid options for health and wellness.
- Access to an annual performance related bonus
- Access to training to help you develop and progress your career
- 25 days holiday, pro rata
What makes us different
Nationwide is the world’s largest building society. With over 15 million customers, we have a relationship with almost a quarter of the UK’s population. We’ve got the scale to compete with the big banks, but we’re not a bank.
As a building society, we’re owned by our members – that’s our customers who have their current account, mortgage, or savings with us. It means we can do things differently to deliver our Purpose – Banking – but fairer, more rewarding, and for the good of society.
When you work at Nationwide, you can experience that difference for yourself. You’ll be part of a high-performing, purpose-driven organisation that offers rewarding career experiences and a highly competitive range of benefits to match. You’ll also be joining us at an important time as we seek to reach more and more people in the UK. We want everyone in the UK to know that they don’t have to bank with a bank. They can choose a modern mutual instead.
What to do next
If this role is for you, please click the ‘Apply Now’ button. You’ll need to attach your up-to-date CV and answer a few quick questions for us.
We respond to everyone, so we will be in contact shortly after the closing date to let you know the outcome of your application.
Financial Reward Package
To see a ball-park figure of how the pounds in your pocket could add up, put a salary figure in the box below and hit the Calculate Now button. As if by magic, a chart will appear giving an indication of what these financial benefits could look like.
Calculate your reward
Enter your salary and we will calculate your overall reward.
This is the total amount you earn per year
The figures and percentages shown here are an illustration only. Your actual salary and benefits will be detailed in your contract of employment if you join us. For example, your role could include a car allowance, relocation expenses or other benefits not shown here.
Here’s the legal bit: The infographic is an indicative summary of some of the key benefits which you may receive if you are employed by Nationwide and these are subject to variation by Nationwide at its discretion. If you work part-time, some benefits may be pro-rated. This document provides an illustrative summary only and does not create any contractual rights.