Senior Customer Manager: Buy to Let Mortgages
As a Senior Customer Manager, you’ll be responsible for leading and shaping a new ‘In Life’ management function, responsible for delivering good customer outcomes, maximising retention and driving deeper relationships with existing Buy to Let (BTL) mortgage customers.
This is an exciting role within The Mortgage Works (TMW) – the BTL lending arm of Nationwide and a market leader with the second largest BTL back-book in the UK. Operating within the ‘Landlord’ business line of the Mortgages & Financial Wellbeing team, you’ll be responsible for leading a team of Subject Matter Experts, whilst coordinating existing customer activities through cross-functional areas.
At TMW, we openly put our 300,000+ Landlord accounts at the centre of every decision we make as a business. Every role, no matter what it’s doing, is customer focused.
At Nationwide we offer hybrid working wherever possible. More rewarding relationships are supported through our hybrid approach, bringing colleagues together across our UK wide estate, whilst also supporting generous access to home working. We value our time in the office to solve problems, to learn, and to feel connected.
For this job you'll spend at least two days per week, or if part time you'll spend 40% of your working time, at one of our offices. If your application is successful, your hiring manager will provide further details on how this works. You can also find out more about our approach to hybrid working here.
If we receive a high volume of relevant applications, we may close the advert earlier than the advertised date, so please apply as soon as you can.
What you’ll be doing
Reporting to the Head of Buy to Let Mortgages, you’ll be responsible for leading and shaping a high performing ‘In Life’ management team to pro-actively deliver good outcomes (with the highest standards of operational, regulatory and conduct risk management), identify risks, maximise retention and drive deeper relationships with existing BTL customers.
This role will be accountable for developing and executing the retention strategy, to complement the overarching strategy for Landlord, whilst driving measurable benefits. You’ll also contribute towards the development of key strategic initiatives associated with the back-book, including customer journeys, digital self-service, marketing programmes and enhancing critical process and controls.
Drawing on internal and external insights, you’ll initiate, develop and launch propositions - ensuring customer need is always front of mind, providing BTL investors with compelling reasons to stay with TMW and move more of their BTL property portfolio to us.
Working with Direct Distribution, you will coordinate the relationship management activity for existing customers, including our largest portfolio landlords, to pro-actively drive deeper relationships, deliver good outcomes, accelerate opportunities, manage risks, and improve insights.
You’ll also lead a team responsible for addressing complex customer queries and complaints, working with our Member Service team to improve the quality and timeliness of responses, and to identify and address route causes to increase satisfaction and reduce future complaint levels.
You will harness a high-performance, inclusive and diverse culture that delivers quality outcomes and appropriately develops and recognises our employees for their talent and contribution.
You will demonstrate enterprise leadership by connecting across the business lines to realise growth opportunities, manage risk and enhance customer outcomes, where you will ensure productive and harmonious relationships with key stakeholders across multiple departments and third-party suppliers.
- You’ll have proven experience in customer management, proposition development, product management or related roles with a real passion for meeting customer needs.
- You’ll possess strong leadership skills and an ability to foster a ‘high performance’ cultural mindset.
- Be a successful relationship builder with high levels of stakeholder management and collaboration experience.
- Be an excellent communicator, both verbally and in writing, who can influence people at the most senior levels.
- Have good planning and organisational skills and the ability to proactively manage your own work and the work of others.
- You’ll be resilient and ready to persevere in the face of challenge, able to deal with complexity and bring stakeholders along with you.
- You’ll have a high attention to detail with the ability to present information in a factual and balanced way.
- You’ll be able to demonstrate a curious and creative mindset with a passion to innovate.
- Experience within the BTL and/or Mortgage market desirable, but not essential.
Our Customer First behaviours are all about putting customers and members at the heart of how we work together. You can strengthen your application by showing the behaviours that resonate with you, and how you might have already demonstrated these.
- Say it straight - This is about being honest and direct with good intent and saying what needs to be said in the room. It’s also about being clear, precise, and using language that we and, importantly, our customers and members can understand.
- Push for better - This is about aiming high and constantly looking for better in how we work together and serve our customers and members.
- Get it done - This is about prioritising what will have the greatest impact, being decisive and taking accountability for delivering on the end-to-end outcome.
We know applying for jobs can sometimes feel like you’re sending an application into a black hole. We review each application individually. So, it’s a good idea to call out your most relevant experience on your application to give yourself the best chance.
The extras you’ll get
There are all sorts of employee benefits available at Nationwide, including:
- A personal pension – if you put in 7% of your salary, we’ll top up by a further 16%
- Up to 2 days of paid volunteering a year
- Life assurance worth 8x your salary
- A great selection of additional benefits through our salary sacrifice scheme
- Gympass – Access to a range of free and paid options for health and wellness.
- Access to an annual performance related bonus
- Access to training to help you develop and progress your career
- 30 days holiday, pro rata
- Status car allowance
- Individual healthcare cover
What makes us different
Nationwide is the world’s largest building society. With over 15 million customers, we have a relationship with almost a quarter of the UK’s population. We’ve got the scale to compete with the big banks, but we’re not a bank.
As a building society, we’re owned by our members – that’s our customers who have their current account, mortgage or savings with us. It means we can do things differently to deliver our Purpose – Banking – but fairer, more rewarding, and for the good of society.
When you work at Nationwide, you can experience that difference for yourself. You’ll be part of a high-performing, purpose-driven organisation that offers rewarding career experiences and a highly competitive range of benefits to match. You’ll also be joining us at an important time as we seek to reach more and more people in the UK. We want everyone in the UK to know that they don’t have to bank with a bank. They can choose a modern mutual instead.
What to do next
If this role is for you, please click the ‘Apply Now’ button. You’ll need to attach your up-to-date CV and answer a few quick questions for us.
We respond to everyone, so we will be in contact shortly after the closing date to let you know the outcome of your application.
Financial Reward Package
To see a ball-park figure of how the pounds in your pocket could add up, put a salary figure in the box below and hit the Calculate Now button. As if by magic, a chart will appear giving an indication of what these financial benefits could look like.
Calculate your reward
Enter your salary and we will calculate your overall reward.
This is the total amount you earn per year
The figures and percentages shown here are an illustration only. Your actual salary and benefits will be detailed in your contract of employment if you join us. For example, your role could include a car allowance, relocation expenses or other benefits not shown here.
Here’s the legal bit: The infographic is an indicative summary of some of the key benefits which you may receive if you are employed by Nationwide and these are subject to variation by Nationwide at its discretion. If you work part-time, some benefits may be pro-rated. This document provides an illustrative summary only and does not create any contractual rights.