Marketing & Customer Strategy Industrial Placements
It’s an exciting time to join the Customer, Brand and Engagement (CBE) function as we’re embarking on a multiyear programme of investment in people, data, and technology to support the delivery of our new Purpose. As part of this investment, we have a number of 12-month industrial placement opportunities that will help complement your university studies.
We’re looking for individuals who have strong communications skills, creativity of thought, are customer driven, enjoy working in a fast-paced environment and have a desire to make a difference.
At Nationwide, we have adopted a hybrid working model to benefit from collaborating with colleagues in person, as well as providing the flexibility of working from home. The teams are located in our Swindon Head Office, and you will be expected to be in the office 2-3 times a week.
What you’ll be doing
We have industrial placement opportunities within the Customer, Brand and Engagement (CBE) function. These placements are in the Brand, Marketing & Engagement team and the Customer Strategy, Insight & Proposition team.
Details of the placements are below. You’ll be asked to select your preference when applying.
This opportunity is based with our Brand, Marketing and Experience team which are responsible for creating, overseeing, and delivering what we say and how we say it to a range of audiences - including our own 16 million customers, the press, the brokers who advocate our mortgages as well as everyone else who might benefit from discovering a good way to bank. Across all those communications, it is our job to bring the Nationwide brand to life, to make it feel relevant, consistent, truthful, and modern.
Day to day you might, be…
- Working collaboratively with the brand team and other areas to ensure all brand guidance is accurate and current
- Supporting in developing the Nationwide brand image, identity, and reputation
- Working within and supporting the governance of all brand risk and controls
- Delivering against brand specific projects
Key skills required
Quick learner, strong communicator, meticulous attention to detail, self-management and organisational skills and the resilience to adapt to change
Customer Strategy placement
The Customer Strategy, Insights and Propositions team exists to ensure the Society understand our customers, consumers, and wider society, and to enable improved strategic decision making and development of propositions which create value and positive outcomes for our customers.
Key areas of focus for the team include enhancing understanding of customers, their needs and relationship with Nationwide through holistic, qualitative, and quantitative insights, analytics and research. Design and development of Society-wide customer propositions and responsibility for setting of the overall customer strategy for Nationwide.
Day to day you might, be…
- Working closely with the Research and Analytics teams to create holistic customer insight
- Presenting on key topics impacting customers e.g. Cost of Living, Housing, Under 18s
- Supporting the creation of content for key committees and senior leadership meetings
- Supporting development of a customer outcomes framework to understand our performance, including customer experience.
Key skills required
Strong analytical thinker, solution focused mindset, a keen interest and curiosity in customer behaviour, good communicator, and organisational ability
These roles are all about delivering for the Society whilst experiencing a working environment, so you’ll need to have:
- Great communication and collaborative skills.
- An inquisitive and creative mindset and an aptitude for problem solving.
- The ability to use your analytical skills to come up with solutions and ideas.
- Be a student at University looking for an undergraduate placement year
We will also be looking for:
- The ability to plan and deliver work with attention to detail.
- Determination and drive to make a difference.
Our Customer First behaviours are all about putting customers and members at the heart of how we work together. You can strengthen your application by showing the behaviours that resonate with you, and how you might have already demonstrated these.
- Say it straight- This is about being honest and direct with good intent and saying what needs to be said in the room. It’s also about being clear, precise, and using language that we and, importantly, our customers and members can understand.
- Push for better- This is about aiming high and constantly looking for better in how we work together and serve our customers and members.
- Get it done- This is about prioritising what will have the greatest impact, being decisive and taking accountability for delivering on the end-to-end outcome.
The extras you’ll get
There are all sorts of employee benefits available at Nationwide, including:
- A 12-month placement from Sept 2024 – Sept 2025
- A real job – you’ll be contributing to the organisation while you learn
- A personal pension – if you put in 7% of your salary, we’ll top up by a further 16%
- Up to 2 days of paid volunteering a year
- Life assurance worth 8x your salary
- A great selection of additional benefits through our salary sacrifice scheme
- Access to an annual performance related bonus
- Access to training to help you develop and progress your career
- 25 days holiday
What makes us different
Nationwide is the world’s largest building society. With over 15 million customers, we have a relationship with almost a quarter of the UK’s population. We’ve got the scale to compete with the big banks, but we’re not a bank.
As a building society, we’re owned by our members – that’s our customers who have their current account, mortgage, or savings with us. It means we can do things differently to deliver our Purpose – Banking – but fairer, more rewarding, and for the good of society.
When you work at Nationwide, you can experience that difference for yourself. You’ll be part of a high-performing, purpose-driven organisation that offers rewarding career experiences and a highly competitive range of benefits to match. You’ll also be joining us at an important time as we seek to reach more and more people in the UK. We want everyone in the UK to know that they don’t have to bank with a bank. They can choose a modern mutual instead.
What to do next
If this role is for you, please click the ‘Apply Now’ button. You’ll need to attach your up-to-date CV and answer a few quick questions for us.
We’ll send you our online assessments to complete and there will also be a short video interview to find out more about you. If you are successful, you’ll then be invited to attend one of our virtual assessment centres which run in January.
For more information on our application process and useful hints and tips, please visit: Application Hints and Tips | Nationwide Jobs (nationwide-jobs.co.uk)
If you have any further questions, please contact us at Emerging.Talent@nationwide.co.uk
Financial Reward Package
To see a ball-park figure of how the pounds in your pocket could add up, put a salary figure in the box below and hit the Calculate Now button. As if by magic, a chart will appear giving an indication of what these financial benefits could look like.
Calculate your reward
Enter your salary and we will calculate your overall reward.
This is the total amount you earn per year
The figures and percentages shown here are an illustration only. Your actual salary and benefits will be detailed in your contract of employment if you join us. For example, your role could include a car allowance, relocation expenses or other benefits not shown here.
Here’s the legal bit: The infographic is an indicative summary of some of the key benefits which you may receive if you are employed by Nationwide and these are subject to variation by Nationwide at its discretion. If you work part-time, some benefits may be pro-rated. This document provides an illustrative summary only and does not create any contractual rights.