Risk Analyst (Modelling & Credit Risk) Industrial Placement
A fantastic opportunity has become available for us to be able to offer a number of Risk Analyst industrial placement opportunities.
You could be based within either the Retail Modelling or Credit Risk Teams dependant on your skills. Both teams use their analytical skills and experience to help inform our directors of what decisions they need to make, after all, the decisions we make in terms of who we lend to can affect our growth and our members.
The Retail Modelling team develop the models which support lending decisions, detecting economic crime and ensure the society is safe and secure. The role involves supporting the decisions made across our key lending products, helping to continuously improve our decision tools that enable the business to make better decisions for our members.
Risk management has been at the heart of Nationwide Building Society’s response to the current cost of living crisis, and a key component of this response has been the insight provided by our analysts.
Within the Credit Risk team you will work with analysts to assess the risk performance of all our products. You will help to measure and analyse the levels of risk over various economic scenarios, and your work will be varied and technically demanding.
These roles are suitable for highly numerate individuals looking to apply their learnings from their degree within a practical environment as part of a high-performance hybrid working team (working from home and in person). You will be required to work from our Swindon office 1-2 days per week, for training, technical workshops and team activities.
This opportunity is available to University students seeking an undergraduate placement year.
What you’ll be doing
Under the guidance of your line manager, you’ll undertake work that will be varied and technically demanding, and you could be working on your own or as part of a wider team.
You’ll need to write and run code in SAS (we’ll teach you this part) to produce the data required to identify key insights, monitor model performance and support the development of models and advanced analytical tools using relevant statistical techniques. You could be supporting on projects such as; Credit Risk decision models across multiple cycles (Application, Behavioural and Collections); Economic Crime identification models; or Affordability solutions across all our Retail lending portfolios.
You’ll need to be proficient in SAS (we’ll teach you this part) to produce the data required to identify key insights. You’ll be producing forecast data for a range of stress tests and forecast scenarios using a modelled approach and offline sensitivities, and delivering insight into the impact of credit, environmental and economic risks on our lending portfolios.
You’ll also be building relationships with team members and across the business to present your insights, ensure our models are understood, and our models are used optimally to benefit our customers.
To be successful in these roles you will:
- Be studying a STEM subject (Science, Technology, Engineering or Maths) and be working towards a strong quantitative degree result
- Enjoy working with data, carrying out analytics and modelling, interpreting results and making recommendations.
- Have a logical and analytical mind with a passion for solving complex problems
- Have experience of building relationships and communicating with confidence
We will also be looking for:
- Have experience of presenting / explaining your findings to others both verbally and through a written report.
- Having some prior experience of coding languages would be useful but not essential
Our Customer First behaviours are all about putting customers and members at the heart of how we work together. You can strengthen your application by showing the behaviours that resonate with you, and how you might have already demonstrated these.
- Say it straight - This is about being honest and direct with good intent and saying what needs to be said in the room. It’s also about being clear, precise, and using language that we and, importantly, our customers and members can understand.
- Push for better - This is about aiming high and constantly looking for better in how we work together and serve our customers and members.
- Get it done - This is about prioritising what will have the greatest impact, being decisive and taking accountability for delivering on the end-to-end outcome.
The extras you’ll get
There are all sorts of employee benefits available at Nationwide, including:
- A 12-month placement from Sept 2024 – Sept 2025
- A real job – you’ll be contributing to the organisation while you learn
- A personal pension – if you put in 7% of your salary, we’ll top up by a further 16%
- Up to 2 days of paid volunteering a year
- Life assurance worth 8x your salary
- A great selection of additional benefits through our salary sacrifice scheme
- Access to an annual performance related bonus
- Access to training to help you develop and progress your career
- 25 days holiday
What makes us different
Nationwide is the world’s largest building society. With over 15 million customers, we have a relationship with almost a quarter of the UK’s population. We’ve got the scale to compete with the big banks, but we’re not a bank.
As a building society, we’re owned by our members – that’s our customers who have their current account, mortgage or savings with us. It means we can do things differently to deliver our Purpose – Banking – but fairer, more rewarding, and for the good of society.
When you work at Nationwide, you can experience that difference for yourself. You’ll be part of a high-performing, purpose-driven organisation that offers rewarding career experiences and a highly competitive range of benefits to match. You’ll also be joining us at an important time as we seek to reach more and more people in the UK. We want everyone in the UK to know that they don’t have to bank with a bank. They can choose a modern mutual instead.
What to do next
If this role is for you, please click the ‘Apply Now’ button. You’ll need to attach your up-to-date CV and answer a few quick questions for us.
We’ll send you our online assessments to complete and there will also be a short video interview to find out more about you. If you are successful, you’ll then be invited to attend one of our virtual assessment centres which run in January.
For more information on our application process and useful hints and tips, please visit: Application Hints and Tips | Nationwide Jobs (nationwide-jobs.co.uk)
If you have any further questions, please contact us at Emerging.Talent@nationwide.co.uk
Financial Reward Package
To see a ball-park figure of how the pounds in your pocket could add up, put a salary figure in the box below and hit the Calculate Now button. As if by magic, a chart will appear giving an indication of what these financial benefits could look like.
Calculate your reward
Enter your salary and we will calculate your overall reward.
This is the total amount you earn per year
The figures and percentages shown here are an illustration only. Your actual salary and benefits will be detailed in your contract of employment if you join us. For example, your role could include a car allowance, relocation expenses or other benefits not shown here.
Here’s the legal bit: The infographic is an indicative summary of some of the key benefits which you may receive if you are employed by Nationwide and these are subject to variation by Nationwide at its discretion. If you work part-time, some benefits may be pro-rated. This document provides an illustrative summary only and does not create any contractual rights.