Head of Data Engineering
Head of Data Engineering
- Location(s): Countrywide
- Salary: Competitive
- Contract Type: Permanent
- Ref: R00EXECU00026
- Closing Date: 14 May 2021
- We're happy to consider flexible working approaches for this role
- A Head of Data Engineering
- Executive Package
- Full time, permanent contract
- Send in your application by 19th May 2021
About the role
We’re navigating significant and ambitious change at Nationwide, the world’s largest building society. It’s an exciting time as we evolve to a new future that sees us accelerate delivery of value to our 15 million Members and engage colleagues around new ways of working. And now more than ever, we rely on data and insight to guide us through our decisions and support of our wider societal objectives.
This new Senior Executive role, as ‘Head of Data Engineering’ provides a compelling opportunity for an ambitious expert, with demonstrable experience in data engineering automation, across multiple technologies at scale. Providing both strategic and technical leadership, you’ll define and create ‘best in class’, end to end, data engineering capability. Recognising and responding to the rapidly changing technology landscape, you’ll focus on innovation to transform the agility, speed and quality at all levels of the data engineering capability across the Data & Analytics community. Pivotal to success, will be your leadership and development of the data engineering team in the adoption of modern engineering practices, including Continuous Development and Continuous Improvement, critical to optimise efficiencies and realise significant business benefit.
This role will put you at the heart of our D&A strategy and transformation journey, giving you the platform to make a real difference in an organisation famed for its values and sense of social purpose.
Due to COVID-19 the way we are operating as an organisation has changed. As a result, we are flexible on location and whilst this role will involve working remotely to begin with, as things hopefully begin to adapt further, it’s anticipated there will be occasional travel to Swindon/London.
What you’ll be doing
- Working closely with the Director of Data Engineering and Architecture to accelerate the transformation of technology, skills, process, working patterns and develop in-house data engineering expertise. This will include developing strategies and leading initiatives to accelerate cloud adoption.
- Define the strategy and lead implementation of data engineering automation across the data engineering teams to reduce the effort required by at least 50% and embed modern development practices such as DevOps (Continuous Development/Continuous Improvement) across all data solution and product teams.
- Design and lead data engineering innovation projects and proof of concepts/trials to confirm opportunities whilst reducing risk of disruption to the day to day critical operation of multidisciplinary engineering teams.
- Actively engage with technology vendors, Fintechs, academia, external organisation and internal technology teams to understand the rapidly changing technology landscape and improvement opportunities in data engineering to define our response and to ensure improvement approaches are tailored for both current state and future state.
First and foremost, we’ll need you to have technical expertise, coupled with the experience and drive to lead, inspire and develop a ‘best in class’ D&A (Engineering) function and people capability.
More broadly, you’ll have the innate ability to build and sustain relationships and business networks internally and externally at all levels. You’ll relish creating an agile, innovation focussed data engineering function, team and culture and will be an engaging, proficient advocate, representing Nationwide at corporate/industry events as well as academia, raising our profile and helping to embed forward thinking expertise, best practice and drive talent acquisition.
So, technically, you’ll have experience of:
- Enterprise scale data platform and data engineering capability management – covering: run, change and sustain, within a Financial Services or large scale and highly regulated industry. Including both large scale on prem and public cloud.
- Deploying DevOps and automation in a data engineering context (DataOps), in an immature environment and bringing this to visible value. Specifically: DaaS and PaaS, as well as data pipelines and data specific CI/CD.
- Deploying data warehouse, big data lakes, data exploitation technologies and large data platforms in support of regulatory, commercial or advanced analytical requirements. This includes: Teradata, SQL Server, Informatica, Hadoop (HDP/CDP), MongoDB.
- Migrating on premise data solutions and building new data solutions in the cloud via vendors such as AWS, Azure and Google cloud.
- Deploying open source data engineering and data platform software products, within a traditional proprietary operating model, for reduced running cost and enhanced function.
- Large-scale enterprise scale data solution delivery across a range of delivery methodologies. Using product management to define business value and enabling a consistent fast pace of high-quality deliveries.
The extras you’ll get
When you put a lot in, it’s only fair to expect a lot out. So, when you help us do the right thing for our members, we want to reward you. As well as your salary, additional benefits include 30 days’ holiday (on top of bank holidays), an executive car allowance, a competitive pension or cash alternative, private healthcare for your family plus executive health screening every 2 years, life assurance and the opportunity to participate in Sharing in Success, our Society-wide, all-employee variable pay plan. If that wasn’t enough, you could also tailor your reward package by taking advantage of a range of flexible benefits.
Why work for us
For over 130 years, we’ve supported each other and our communities, and we’ve done the right thing for wider society too. If you come to work here at Nationwide, you’ll be part of that. Part of something a bit different. What’s more, we have a strong ethic of care for each other and our members. We’re committed to creating a culture that recognises and truly values our individual differences and identities. So, if you’d like to be a part of an inclusive workplace where you can be yourself, where your talents are nurtured, and you feel empowered to contribute, then please apply and help us in building society, nationwide.
What to do next
If you’d like to apply, just click the ‘Apply now’ button. You’ll need to attach your CV and answer a few questions, and you can attach a cover letter to support your application.