Head of Specialist Operations
Head of Specialist Operations
- Location(s): UK Wide
- Salary: Competitive
- Contract Type: Permanent
- Ref: R00EXECU00040
- Closing Date: 18 May 2021
- We're happy to consider flexible working approaches for this role
- Head of Specialist Operations
- Senior Executive Package
- Full time, permanent contract
- Flexible location
- Send in your application by Tuesday 18th May
We are navigating significant and ambitious change at Nationwide, the world’s largest building society. It is an exciting time, as we evolve to a new future that sees us accelerate delivery of value to our 15 million Members and engage colleagues in new ways of working.
And that’s where you come in….
In this unique Leadership role, you’ll have strategic and operational accountability for our Specialist Operational Support (‘Times of Need’) function, ensuring delivery of world class customer service, business efficiency and expertise relating to the Bereavement, Power of Attorney, Vulnerable Customers and Specialist Support processes, whilst operating within corporate and Regulatory frameworks.
As an integral member of the wider ‘Moments that Matter’ Mission, you’ll play a key role in leading the operational and cultural transformation of the business, in line with the Mission priorities and Nationwide’s strategic objectives.
We’ll need you to be a highly inclusive, collaborative people leader with a demonstrable track record of delivery, continuous improvement and achievement in a similar role, with a passion for growing capability and diverse talent.
This is a fantastic opportunity to make a real difference in an organisation famed for its Member centricity, values and sense of social purpose.
What you’ll be doing:
- Accountable for the build and operational execution of the strategic plan for ‘Times of Need’ through effective leadership.
- Lead teams of c. 250 fte across multiple sites, including those working flexibly/remotely, empowering individuals to operate at their full potential, achieve business priorities and deliver fair customer/member outcomes
- Work with the 'Moments that Matter' Mission, including the Operational execution of the short, medium and long-term transformation plan.
- Contribute to and support the execution of the Society’s future “Vulnerability, Access and Inclusion” strategy
- Understand the industry and external landscape and continually review and interpret regulatory, business and external data to assist and drive informed decision-making.
- Operationalise policies and processes relating to Bereavement, Power of Attorney and Vulnerable member management, continually reflecting industry best practice and regulatory compliance whilst reinforcing the Society’s reputation for the highest standards of business conduct
- Build strong relationships with key stakeholders across the Society, third party suppliers and industry bodies to ensure the Society is represented, impacts of change understood and the appropriate actions are in place to achieve core objectives
- Ensure all budgetary controls are in place and all areas of the operation meet their budgetary plans with an emphasis on customer service, TCF, business efficiency and alignment to the Society cornerstones/Values
- Continuously monitor, review and improve operational MI to aid the decision-making process, link into the strategic planning process and internal/external regulatory reporting requirements whilst focusing on capacity planning over the long term to drive the strategic programme and accuracy of budget requirements. Work closely with internal stakeholders to ensure all business needs are considered.
- Identify and deliver operational improvements across multiple processes to drive a strong service culture. Contribute to the strategic change / process improvement agenda to ensure improvements to service, quality and cost are achieved throughout the year, acting as a sponsorship of local projects / Society wide projects as appropriate
- Ensure full and robust engagement programmes are adopted and reviewed regularly to retain employees and maintain a strong and diverse people proposition e.g. Viewpoint, succession planning etc
- Effectively manage all operational internal and external audits with the implementation of any remedial plans. Ensure all internal controls are maintained and risks are minimised
- Accountable for the relevant ‘end to end’ member journey ensuring fair outcomes whilst operating in a compliant manner and within the relevant risks and controls framework, ensuring that complaints, breaches and risks are managed appropriately to optimise the member experience
To be successful in this role, you’ll demonstrate:
- Significant Exec/Senior Management experience, leading medium to large internal complex ‘specialist’ operational support functions within the Financial Services sector
- Clear understanding of the Certification regime, ideally with experience operating as an MRT (Material Risk Taker)
- Proven operational leader with transformation skills and Call Centre experience
- Strong business and commercial acumen with expert knowledge of Bereavement, Power of Attorney and Specialist Customer Support
- Excellent communication and stakeholder management skills, with the ability to influence and present up to Board level
- Outstanding leadership qualities with the ability to seek out new opportunities and innovation, build a strategic “vision” and drive organisational buy-in through to implementation
- Analytical and data driven to measure success and drive informed, timely decision making and prioritisation
- Experience of implementing best practice, policies and processes whilst maintaining the society's reputation for high standards of business conduct
- Expertise in conduct risk and customer outcomes
The extras you will get
As well as your salary, additional benefits include 30 days’ holiday, an executive car allowance, a competitive pension or cash alternative, private healthcare for your family plus executive health screening every 2 years, life assurance and the opportunity to participate in Sharing in Success, our Society-wide, all-employee variable pay plan. You can also tailor your reward package by taking advantage of a range of flexible benefits.
Why work for us
We are a building society founded by ordinary people, our Members, who came together to help each other get the most from their money, buy homes and save for their futures. For over 130 years, we have supported each other and our communities, and we have done the right thing for wider society too. If you come to work here at Nationwide, you will be part of that. Part of something a bit different. And something really quite special. What is more, we have a strong ethic of care for each other and our Members. We recognise that our employees feel most appreciated when their thoughts and values are respected and considered. We are committed to creating a culture that recognises and truly values our individual differences and identities. So, if you would like to be a part of an inclusive workplace where you can be yourself, where your talents are nurtured, and you feel empowered to contribute, then please apply and help us in building society, nationwide.
What to do next
If you would like to apply, just click the ‘Apply now’ button. You will need to attach your CV and answer a few questions, and you can attach a cover letter to support your application.