Head of Compliance
Head of Compliance
- Location(s): UK Wide
- Salary: Competitive
- Contract Type: Permanent
- Ref: R00EXECU00041
- Closing Date: 11 May 2021
- We're happy to consider flexible working approaches for this role
- Head of Compliance
- Senior Executive Package
- Full time, permanent contract
- Flexible location
- Send in your application by Tuesday 11th May
We are navigating significant and ambitious change at Nationwide, the world’s largest building society. It is an exciting time, as we evolve to a new future that sees us accelerate delivery of value to our 15 million Members and engage colleagues in new ways of working.
And that’s where you come in….
This Senior Executive role reporting directly to the Compliance Director will be leading and developing a professional team to fulfil Compliance’s objective of providing effective and robust advice and assurance to Nationwide. This role provides the fantastic opportunity, as a member of the Compliance Senior Leadership Team, to contribute to the strategic direction of Compliance through engagement in strategic decisions and driving through change. This role will lead our Regulatory Insight, Prudential and Wholesale Conduct team.
More broadly, we will need you to be a highly inclusive, collaborative people leader with a demonstrable track record of growing capability and diverse talent. You will have excellent stakeholder engagement and enterprise leadership skills and bring fresh thinking and pace to support cultural change and develop new ways of working.
This is a fantastic opportunity to make a real difference in an organisation famed for its values and sense of social purpose. Due to COVID-19 the way we are operating as an organisation has changed. As a result, we are flexible on location and, whilst this role will allow for remote working, as things hopefully begin to normalise, there will also be travel to Swindon/London.
What you’ll be doing
- Working closely with the Compliance Director to provide high quality reports and papers for submission to the FCA, PRA, the Board and other senior committees, and attend, or deputise for the Compliance Director at, key committees
- Lead one of our second line Compliance Advice teams, part of the leadership team for Nationwide’s Compliance Director
- Lead change and development in the department and support the Compliance Director in the communication of the strategic plan and the Risk Community priorities
- Manage all aspects of Compliance input into new and changing regulation, including assessing the impact for Nationwide and advising on those requirements
- Specific focus on prudential compliance and wholesale conduct as well as running the horizon scanning and insight function for Compliance
- Ensure that our risk frameworks appropriately reflect and manage our conduct and compliance risk including supporting managing our risk governance
- Accountability for the provision of effective, efficient and robust regulatory risk advice and assurance to significant strategic projects
- Maintain high value relationships with key senior stakeholders with a sufficient depth of understanding of key business priorities and risks to ensure that Compliance is appropriately engaged in initiatives
- Represent Compliance at key committees as required - for example project and programme boards, executive risk committee
As a key member of the leadership team within our second line Compliance function, you’ll have a breadth of experience across the compliance and regulatory environment with an ability to adapt and take on different challenges within the Compliance function as and when the role requires.
To be successful in this role you will also demonstrate:
- Extensive experience in a regulated environment, either in a compliance or legal function and in-depth knowledge of relevant regulation (and codes)
- Experience working across lines of defence and risk structures, leading a team of professionals, coupled with the ability to inspire people to deliver to the best of their ability, sell ideas and be a driver of change
- An ability to develop high value relationships at all levels in the business, and to command respect from business leaders
- A strong communicator who’s able to land complex messages and challenge to the organisation whilst maintaining strong stakeholder relationships.
- Managing the performance of staff at a range of levels, including coaching and giving effective development feedback
- The ability to comprehend and assimilate information rapidly, whilst working in diverse complex business areas, and to work with business management to agree pragmatic and innovative solutions to regulatory issues
- Operating at a strategic level to influence and input where required
The extras you will get
As well as your salary, additional benefits include 30 days’ holiday, an executive car allowance, a competitive pension or cash alternative, private healthcare for your family plus executive health screening every 2 years, life assurance and the opportunity to participate in Sharing in Success, our Society-wide, all-employee variable pay plan. You can also tailor your reward package by taking advantage of a range of flexible benefits.
Why work for us
We are a building society founded by ordinary people, our Members, who came together to help each other get the most from their money, buy homes and save for their futures. For over 130 years, we have supported each other and our communities, and we have done the right thing for wider society too. If you come to work here at Nationwide, you will be part of that. Part of something a bit different. And something really quite special. What is more, we have a strong ethic of care for each other and our Members. We recognise that our employees feel most appreciated when their thoughts and values are respected and considered. We are committed to creating a culture that recognises and truly values our individual differences and identities. So, if you would like to be a part of an inclusive workplace where you can be yourself, where your talents are nurtured, and you feel empowered to contribute, then please apply and help us in building society, nationwide.
What to do next
If you would like to apply, just click the ‘Apply now’ button. You will need to attach your CV and answer a few questions, and you can attach a cover letter to support your application.