Data Governance Manager: Technical Architecture (inc Cloud)
Data Governance Manager: Technical Architecture (inc Cloud)
- Location: UK Wide
- Salary: Competitive
- Contract Type: Permanent
- Ref: R00TR00110
- Closing Date: 05 March 2021
As the subject matter expert in Data Governance for Data Engineering, you will be responsible for leading data governance activities within your product area, with a particular focus on the practical implementation of Data Governance solutions on both legacy platforms (On Premise Teradata, Hadoop, MS SQL, etc) and new Cloud solutions (AWS, Azure etc) including metadata, reference data, data usage, data quality and others.
Your expertise in the implementation of data governance components in Data Engineering platforms and your ability to lead the development of re-usable data governance capabilities as code, will enable us to create efficiency and drive value for millions of Nationwide members every day.
At Nationwide we openly put our 15 million members at the centre of every decision we make as a business. Every role, no matter what it’s doing, is member focused.
What you’ll be doing
Working in collaboration with software and analytical engineers and other members of the product team, you will be responsible for designing, building and executing practical, compliant, scalable and reusable data governance solutions that our colleagues in Data Engineering can use to drive optimal business and customer outcomes, whilst maintaining the required commercial and strategic focus as well as architectural alignment.
You will lead business engagement on the value of data governance in a data engineering and analytics context; defining, implementing and optimising data governance capabilities including metadata, reference data, data quality and data usage whilst also maintaining a good understanding of the latest developments in the field of Data Governance including best practice, technology, models and frameworks and relevant regulation and legislation from external bodies.
You will be responsible for understanding the change landscape in your Product area, supporting your team in aligning to the data management strategy and escalating and raising risks where they are unable to.
You will play a key role in developing capability across our Data Safeguarding & Compliance Centre of Excellence, and for managing a small team of people, ensuring that each team member has a development plan which accurately describes development needs aligned to goals of the team and their personal development.
You need to be able to demonstrate the following core capabilities:
- Expert in the implementation of data governance in both legacy environments (traditional data warehousing and data engineering techniques) and on latest Cloud platforms (AWS, Azure, Microsoft 365), preferably with experience of leading the development of re-usable data governance capabilities as code
- Experience leading the definition and rollout of effective, auditable data management frameworks for Data Engineering as well as Cloud implementations at scale
- Good communication and stakeholder management skills, including being able to communicate difficult, technical concepts to a business audience
- Experience in systems architecture and programming would be useful
- Experience of using data management technologies such as metadata, data lineage, data quality - particularly in Data Engineering and Cloud platforms
- Experience of managing small teams, including the responsibility for career development and performance management
- Implementing data governance best practices and guiding data engineering and cloud engineering teams on the direction to follow
- Hands-on ability to build proof of concepts to test new ideas and technologies
We’re also interested in who you are as a person. Why? Because our membership is made up of so many different kinds of people, so we want our employees to be just as diverse. We’d love to hear about:
- Your values, and what makes you who you are
- How you’d make a difference to our members in this role
We know applying for jobs can sometimes feel like you’re sending an application into a black hole. We review each application individually. So, it’s a good idea to call out your most relevant experience on your application to give yourself the best chance.
The extras you’ll get
Our people’s success isn’t based on how long they spend at their desk. While you’ll have contracted hours, we want to offer a flexible environment where possible. That might be working from home, logging on from other offices across the UK, or working part time or compressed hours.
There are all sorts of employee benefits available at Nationwide, including:
- A personal pension – if you put in 7% of your salary, we’ll top up by a further 16%
- Up to 2 days of paid volunteering a year
- Life assurance worth 8x your salary
- A great selection of additional benefits through our salary sacrifice scheme
- Access to an annual performance related bonus
- Access to training to help you develop and progress your career
- 25 days holiday
- London location allowance
- Car Allowance
Why work at Nationwide
We’re a building society founded by ordinary people, our members, who came together to help each other get the most from their money, buy homes and save for their futures. For over 130 years, we’ve supported each other and our communities, and we’ve done the right thing for wider society too. If you come to work here at Nationwide, you’ll be part of that. Part of something a bit different. And something really quite special.
What’s more, we have a strong ethic of care for each other and our members. We recognise that our employees feel most appreciated when their thoughts and values are respected and considered.
We’re committed to creating a culture that recognises and truly values our individual differences and identities. So if you’d like to be a part of an inclusive workplace where you can be yourself, where your talents are nurtured, and you feel empowered to contribute, then please apply and help us in building society, nationwide.
What to do next
If this role is for you, please click the ‘Apply Now’ button. You’ll need to attach your up to date CV and answer a few quick questions for us.
We respond to everyone, and so we will be in contact shortly after the closing date to let you know the outcome of your application.