Lead Network Architect (WAN)
Lead Network Architect (WAN)
- Location(s): UK Wide
- Salary: Competitive
- Contract Type: Permanent
- Ref: R00TR00141
- Closing Date: 26 September 2021
- We're happy to consider flexible working approaches for this role
You’ll be part of a small team of network architects responsible for the Society’s network strategy & architecture. Your primary focus will be on WAN connectivity, however you’ll frequently collaborate on and contribute to the broader network domain.
At Nationwide we openly put our 15 million members at the centre of every decision we make as a business. Every role, no matter what it’s doing, is member focused.
Part of Common Infrastructure Technologies (CIT), the Connecting Places product group is responsible for interconnecting the Society’s data centres, offices, branches, cloud environments, and colocation facilities.
Our team build the roads that securely connect our members and colleagues to the services they need, carefully balancing reliability, performance, scalability, and cost to deliver the best network we can.
We now have an exciting opportunity for an experienced network architect to lead the transformation and modernisation of our WAN infrastructure, reflecting changes in business requirements and traffic patterns as we embrace new ways of working and continue our cloud journey.
Nationwide is committed to the redeployment of our employees impacted by change, as such applications for redeployment candidates will be prioritised in this recruitment process.
What you’ll be doing
You’ll operate at various levels, including setting strategic technology direction, defining architectural patterns / standards, contributing to solution architecture & governance of architecture / design.
You’ll collaborate with current & potential vendors to ensure we understand their product capabilities & roadmap and fully exploit the Society’s investment in its network.
You’ll collaborate with engineering, delivery & operational teams to ensure that you’re guided by a deep understanding of their challenges and that the Society’s strategy & architecture are well understood.
You'll work in an agile manner with workstreams and feature teams to provide guidance on product development to align with the network in place or iterate on the network to cater for new features.
You'll assure the product development done by workstream and feature teams to ensure that the way we interconnect the Society internally and externally is secure, robust, and efficient.
You'll help shape and develop the team to ensure that we are optimally positioned to deliver our vision.
- You’ll have broad technical knowledge across WAN, Data Centre, Branch, Campus & Network Security technologies.
- You’ll understand how networks intersect and interact with the broader infrastructure / application spaces, and the demands they place on the network.
- You'll be comfortable communicating and presenting at all levels across the Society.
- You'll have deep technical knowledge and demonstratable experience across core routing and WAN technologies including:
BGP, OSPF, MPLS L2/L3VPN (self-managed), IPSec VPNs, WAN transports, Data Centre Interconnects (DCI), Internet routing (peering and transit) and DDoS mitigation solutions.
- You'll also have knowledge of:
SD-WAN and NFV technologies, Content Delivery Networks (CDNs), Colo / Carrier Neutral Facility (CNF) design, and cloud interconnect products from major CSPs (AWS/Azure) and SaaS providers.
- It would be great if you knew about - Network automation, IaC, Ansible, Terraform, Python, GitOps
We’re also interested in who you are as a person. Why? Because our membership is made up of so many different kinds of people, so we want our employees to be just as diverse. We’d love to hear about:
- Your values, and what makes you who you are
- How you’d make a difference to our members in this role
We know applying for jobs can sometimes feel like you’re sending an application into a black hole. We review each application individually. So, it’s a good idea to call out your most relevant experience on your application to give yourself the best chance.
The extras you’ll get
- A personal pension – if you put in 7% of your salary, we’ll top up by a further 16%
- Up to 2 days of paid volunteering a year
- Life assurance worth 8x your salary
- A great selection of additional benefits through our salary sacrifice scheme
- Access to an annual performance related bonus
- Access to training to help you develop and progress your career
- 30 days holiday
- Status car allowance - £4,656 per annum
- Individual healthcare cover
Why work at Nationwide
We’re a building society founded by ordinary people, our members, who came together to help each other get the most from their money, buy homes and save for their futures. For over 130 years, we’ve supported each other and our communities, and we’ve done the right thing for wider society too.
If you come to work here at Nationwide, you’ll be part of that. Part of something a bit different. And something really quite special.
What’s more, we have a strong ethic of care for each other and our members. We recognise that our employees feel most appreciated when their thoughts and values are respected and considered. We’re committed to creating a culture that recognises and truly values our individual differences and identities. So if you’d like to be a part of an inclusive workplace where you can be yourself, where your talents are nurtured, and you feel empowered to contribute, then please apply and help us in building society, nationwide.
What to do next
If this role is for you, please click the ‘Apply Now’ button. You’ll need to attach your up to date CV and answer a few quick questions for us. We’d also like to see a portfolio of some of your work.
We respond to everyone, and so we will be in contact shortly after the closing date to let you know the outcome of your application.
The hiring manager for this role is Bryan Celentano and the main resourcing contact is Bhavit Panchmatia.