Lead Kubernetes Platform Engineer
Lead Kubernetes Platform Engineer
- Location(s): UK Wide
- Salary: Competitive
- Contract Type: Permanent
- Ref: R00TR00245
- Closing Date: 30 April 2021
- We're happy to consider flexible working approaches for this role
As a Lead Cloud Platform Engineer, you’ll take on a frontline role building, influencing and leading the cloud journey Nationwide is on. Your technical leadership during design, build, test and deployment will help us develop and support a platform that enables millions of Nationwide members every day. That platform uses the most up-to-date technologies to deliver real change.
For an agile-minded Lead Cloud Platform Engineer like you, it’s a unique opportunity to take our Cloud journey to the next level, influence its evolution and grow your career.
As part of the Chief Technology Office we’ve committed to modernising our member propositions and this means hosting them on the cloud. As a cloud platform engineer, you’ll work to build, maintain and evolve our digital platform ensuring our services are functional, secure and have the capacity to scale effortlessly.
This team works at the core of the platform, ensuring services are functional and have the capacity to scale effortlessly. They value automation over manual effort, data-driven decision making, and a pragmatic approach to risk – the fundamentals of providing a comprehensive and stable platform to customers.
You’ll have a keen desire to lead from the front, nurture and develop our engineering talent and improve yourself whilst being part of our amazing Cloud Journey, working alongside other engineers in an agile environment.
If we receive a high volume of relevant applications, we may close the advert earlier than the advertised date, so please apply as soon as you can.
What you’ll be doing
You will be capable of understanding the bigger picture and you’ll be able to familiarise yourself with complex systems at any stage of their development lifecycle. Working in collaboration with software engineers and other members of the project team, you will play a pivotal role in defining measures of reliability for services, as well as providing support to help teams achieve and maintain reliability.
Harnessing your experience, you’ll take on a frontline role. This will entail technical leadership of multiple scrum teams during the design, build, test and support a platform that supports millions of Nationwide members every day, and working with the most up-to-date technologies to deliver real change.
You’ll thrive bringing along stakeholders who are new to agile ways of working and designing cloud native applications from across the Nationwide estate as we expand the member facing and supporting applications onboarding to the platform.
We are after someone who sees the need and benefit of growing engineering talent organically and who will want to be hands on developing our engineers of the future.
A team player who can lead by example, you’ll take end-to-end ownership for developing and implementing solutions. You’ll also nurture and develop contacts and relationships to enable things to be done faster and more efficiently. Essentially, it’s about getting stuck in and having a go, knowing that sometimes to fail fast is to learn fast.
You need to be able to demonstrate the following core capabilities:
- Experience and professional certification in either AWS or Azure.
- Experience and professional certification in managing Kubernetes cluster.
- Define, outline and communicate the technical vision for team to follow and deliver.
- Implementing best practices for building a container platform in AWS and Azure and guiding teams on the direction to follow.
- Extensive experience in managing, monitoring and maintaining large Kubernetes clusters (both in size of each cluster and in the number of clusters).
- Deep understanding of the Kubernetes ecosystem and the tools and services available to automate management (again at scale).
- Mastering Docker images lifecycle management and related CI/CD processes.
- ELK, Grafana, and Prometheus environment proven hands-on experience.
- Linux experience.
- Successful stakeholder management of peers, and leaders.
- Hands-on ability to build PoCs for new ideas, and technologies.
- Core AWS and Azure services from architecture & design through to Production.
- Cloud Migration Strategy and Multi-Cloud implementation.
- Creating Solution Architectures, and navigating governance for solutions.
- Delivering middleware and cloud-native solutions on AWS or Azure.
- Technical development and mentoring of junior engineers.
For this role specifically you will need to demonstrate all the following:
- Event driven architectures, and knowledge of event driven middleware
- Implementation of technology architecture principles (performance, scalability, maintainability)
- Running stateful and stateless workloads in Kubernetes and VMs
- Integrating middleware solutions such as Kubernetes and API Gateway with monitoring/observability software
- Troubleshooting VM Migration/Replication/Backup issues in Recovery Services
- Using HashiCorp Vault and TwistLock
- Designing, building and maintaining multi-stage CI/CD pipelines using tools like Jenkins, Git, CodePipeline, CodeDeploy, Terraform for the deployment of middleware and/or platforms through Infrastructure as Code
- Hands on experience in creating storage, compute, networks, resizing and configuration of compute and storage, backup and restore of platforms
- The architecture, design and implementation of Kubernetes based platforms, API gateways (ideally Apigee Edge), and other middleware
We’re also interested in who you are as a person. Why? Because our membership is made up of so many different kinds of people, so we want our employees to be just as diverse. We’d love to hear about:
- Your values, and what makes you who you are
- How you’d make a difference to our members in this role
We know applying for jobs can sometimes feel like you’re sending an application into a black hole. We review each application individually. So, it’s a good idea to call out your most relevant experience on your application to give yourself the best chance.
The extras you’ll get
There are all sorts of employee benefits available at Nationwide, including:
- A personal pension – if you put in 7% of your salary, we’ll top up by a further 16%
- Up to 2 days of paid volunteering a year
- Life assurance worth 8x your salary
- A great selection of additional benefits through our salary sacrifice scheme
- Access to an annual performance related bonus
- Access to training to help you develop and progress your career
- 30 days holiday
- London location allowance - £4,687 per annum
- Status car allowance - £4,656 per annum
- Individual healthcare cover
Why work at Nationwide
We’re a building society founded by ordinary people, our members, who came together to help each other get the most from their money, buy homes and save for their futures. For over 130 years, we’ve supported each other and our communities, and we’ve done the right thing for wider society too.
If you come to work here at Nationwide, you’ll be part of that. Part of something a bit different. And something really quite special.
What’s more, we have a strong ethic of care for each other and our members. We recognise that our employees feel most appreciated when their thoughts and values are respected and considered. We’re committed to creating a culture that recognises and truly values our individual differences and identities. So, if you’d like to be a part of an inclusive workplace where you can be yourself, where your talents are nurtured, and you feel empowered to contribute, then please apply and help us in building society, nationwide.
What to do next
If this role is for you, please click the ‘Apply Now’ button. You’ll need to attach your up to date CV and answer a few quick questions for us. We’d also like to see a portfolio of some of your work.
We respond to everyone, so we will be in contact shortly after the closing date to let you know the outcome of your application. If it’s already been defined please provide an overview of the assessment process and a timeline of when assessments will be.