APIGEE Infrastructure Engineer - Open Banking
APIGEE Infrastructure Engineer - Open Banking
- Location(s): UK Wide
- Salary: Competitive
- Contract Type: Permanent
- Ref: R00TR00284
- Closing Date: 13 May 2021
- We're happy to consider flexible working approaches for this role
As an API Gateway Platform Engineer, you’ll take on a frontline role. This will entail designing, building, testing and developing our API Gateway platform that supports millions of Nationwide members every day, and working with the most up-to-date technologies to deliver real change.
At Nationwide we openly put our 15 million members at the centre of every decision we make as a business. Every role, no matter what it’s doing, is member focused.
Nationwide is on a 5 year technology enhancement program to support our members. For an agile-minded API Engineer like you, it’s a unique opportunity to get our Centres of Cloud and Engineering Excellence further along that journey, influence its evolution and grow your career.
As part of the Chief Technology Office we’ve committed to modernising our member propositions, and this means hosting them on the cloud. As an API Gateway engineer, you’ll work to build, maintain and evolve our API platform ensuring our services are functional, secure and have the capacity to scale effortlessly.
This team works at the core of the platform, ensuring services are functional and have the capacity to scale effortlessly. They value automation over manual effort, data-driven decision making, and a pragmatic approach to risk – the fundamentals of providing a comprehensive and stable platform to customers.
You’ll have a keen desire to improve yourself technically and personally help grow our own talent and you’ll be part of our amazing Cloud Journey, working alongside other engineers in an agile environment.
What you’ll be doing
You will be capable of understanding the bigger picture and you’ll be able to familiarise yourself with complex systems at any stage of their development lifecycle. Working In collaboration with software engineers and other members of the project team, you will play a pivotal role in defining measures of reliability for services, as well as providing support to help teams achieve and maintain reliability.
Harnessing your experience, you’ll take on a frontline role. This will entail designing, building and testing sand developing a platform that supports millions of Nationwide members every day, and working with the most up-to-date technologies to deliver real change.
A team player who can lead by example, you’ll log issues as they’re discovered, and take end-to-end ownership for developing and implementing solutions. You’ll also nurture and develop contacts and relationships to enable things to be done faster and more efficiently. Essentially, it’s about getting stuck in and having a go, knowing that sometimes to fail fast is to learn fast.
We’re after API Gateway Platform Engineers, or API Developers with a desire to become API Gateway Platform Engineers.
If you’re already an Apigee Platform Engineer we’re after the following:
- Knowledge of Apigee infrastructure and best practices.
- Building and Maintaining Apigee Edge components and Developer Portal (infrastructure/platform build).
- Demonstrated capability of Zero downtime upgrades and patching of Apigee components.
- Apigee component level scaling to cater for high volumes.
If you want to become an Apigee Platform Engineer we are offering a full training package and support to get you up to speed, and we’re after the following core skills:
- API Development Background.
- Terraform for infrastructure provisioning in a cloud environment.
- Ansible for installation and configuration management of software.
- Experience with installing and operating middleware and databases in a Production environment.
Additional experience of any of the following is also desirable:
- For more senior engineers we’re after your ability to demonstrate technical leadership and development within a small team of engineers (5-7).
- Building and maintaining multi-stage CI/CD pipelines using tools like Jenkins, CircleCI, JIRA, GIT, Veracode and Nexus/Artifactory.
- Managing cloud-based infrastructure on AWS, Azure or GCP using Kubernetes (k8s), EKS, GKE, AKS, or OpenShift.
We’re also interested in who you are as a person. Why? Because our membership is made up of so many different kinds of people, so we want our employees to be just as diverse. We’d love to hear about:
- Your values, and what makes you who you are.
- How you’d make a difference to our members in this role. We know applying for jobs can sometimes feel like you’re sending an application into a black hole.
We review each application individually. So, it’s a good idea to call out your most relevant experience on your application to give yourself the best chance.
The extras you’ll get
Our people’s success isn’t based on how long they spend at their desk. While you’ll have contracted hours, we want to offer a flexible environment where possible. That might be working from home, logging on from other offices across the UK, or working part time or compressed hours.
There will be a requirement to support the platform as part of an On-Call Rota.
We’ve let you know about the flexibility available for this role at the start of the advert. This means you can quickly decide if it suits how you’d like to work.
There are all sorts of employee benefits available at Nationwide, including:
- A personal pension – if you put in 7% of your salary, we’ll top up by a further 16%
- Up to 2 days of paid volunteering a year
- Life assurance worth 8x your salary
- A great selection of additional benefits through our salary sacrifice scheme
- Access to an annual performance related bonus
- Access to training to help you develop and progress your career
- 25 days holiday
- London location allowance - £4,687 per annum
Why work at Nationwide
We’re a building society founded by ordinary people, our members, who came together to help each other get the most from their money, buy homes and save for their futures. For over 130 years, we’ve supported each other and our communities, and we’ve done the right thing for wider society too.
If you come to work here at Nationwide, you’ll be part of that. Part of something a bit different. And something really quite special.
What’s more, we have a strong ethic of care for each other and our members. We recognise that our employees feel most appreciated when their thoughts and values are respected and considered. We’re committed to creating a culture that recognises and truly values our individual differences and identities. So if you’d like to be a part of an inclusive workplace where you can be yourself, where your talents are nurtured, and you feel empowered to contribute, then please apply and help us in building society, nationwide.
What to do next
If this role is for you, please click the ‘Apply Now’ button. You’ll need to attach your up to date CV and answer a few quick questions for us
We respond to everyone, and so we will be in contact shortly after the closing date to let you know the outcome of your application.