Lead Engineer - API Hub
Lead Engineer - API Hub
- Location(s): UK Wide
- Salary: Competitive
- Contract Type: Permanent
- Ref: R00TR00285
- Closing Date: 24 June 2021
- We're happy to consider flexible working approaches for this role
Nationwide is investing £1.2b in Technology Transformation, so it’s never been a more exciting time to join. Building high performing teams plays a huge part in this transformation, which is why we need skilled Senior Engineers to work in our agile digital hubs.
The Nationwide technology strategy balances the need to build for the future with strengthening our core platforms. It will leverage key technologies such as Cloud and APIs to enable digital journeys and platforms for business model innovation, allowing us to generate insight from our data using analytics and AI. Our investment in our branches and digital channels will create the best blend of human and digital service for our members. We need high-performing individuals to support this transformation.
What you’ll be doing
Team. The team manage the Infrastructure, Networks, Security, and enabling applications for the Open Banking service. This includes the Private Cloud Infrastructure, containerised microservice platform, the API gateway as well as several network and security components managed by our partners.
You will use your extensive technical experience and your ability to influence others to help establish high-performing engineering teams and will lead the technical delivery of Nationwide’s Open Banking Platform. This includes incident support, planning for regulatory and platform releases.
You will also be expected to bring innovative ideas on how to improve efficiency and ways of working, leading the technical aspects of platform maintenance, stability, resilience, service enhancement and security. You will work with a wide range of stakeholders including the Architect, Design, Build, Test and Implementation teams across the fully integrated service.
Although you won’t have line management responsibility, you’ll be overseeing and mentoring a team of engineers across our Design, OpenShift, Apigee and DataStax platforms, at junior and senior levels, helping to build a culture where people are keen to learn, explore and improve. This is an extremely exciting opportunity for someone to use their technical and leadership skills to help grow and develop cross-functional teams.
We are looking for someone who:
- Is a technical lead or lead engineer with several years of experience leading teams supporting private or public cloud infrastructure and other enabling applications, including the designing and building of high-performing teams.
- Has a modern, collaborative leadership style and is able to lead by example.
- Ability to understand a full enterprise scale ecosystem, yet able to also focus on the detail.
Has hands-on experience of:
- OpenShift and other containerisation technologies
- Linux OS with some Windows experience
- API Gateway technologies (Apigee preferred)
- Architecting, developing and maintaining an API ecosystem
- Understanding of networking and security products / protocols.
- Knowledge of the OAuth 2 authorisation framework and the OpenID Connect identity protocol.
- Experience of working within Agile teams, using the Scrum framework.
- Experience of maintaining a highly available live service.
- Domain knowledge of Open Banking would be beneficial, but not essential.
- Experience migrating complex On Prem infrastructure to Cloud would be beneficial.
The extras you’ll get
Our people’s success isn’t based on how long they spend at their desk. While you’ll have contracted hours, we want to offer a flexible environment where possible. That might be working from home, logging on from other offices across the UK, or working part time or compressed hours.
There are all sorts of employee benefits available at Nationwide, including:
- A personal pension – if you put in 7% of your salary, we’ll top up by a further 16%
- Up to 2 days of paid volunteering a year
- Life assurance worth 8x your salary
- A great selection of additional benefits through our salary sacrifice scheme • Access to an annual performance related bonus
- Access to training to help you develop and progress your career
- 30 days holiday
- Status car allowance - £4,656 per annum
- Individual healthcare cover
Why work at Nationwide
We’re a building society founded by ordinary people, our members, who came together to help each other get the most from their money, buy homes and save for their futures. For over 130 years, we’ve supported each other and our communities, and we’ve done the right thing for wider society too.
If you come to work here at Nationwide, you’ll be part of that. Part of something a bit different. Something really quite special.
What’s more, we have a strong ethic of care for each other and our members. We recognise that our employees feel most appreciated when their thoughts and values are respected and considered. We’re committed to creating a culture that recognises and truly values our individual differences and identities. So if you’d like to be a part of an inclusive workplace where you can be yourself, where your talents are nurtured and you feel empowered to contribute, then please apply and help us in building society. Nationwide.
What to do next
If this role is for you, please click the ‘Apply Now’ button. You’ll need to attach your up to date CV and answer a few quick questions for us.
We respond to everyone, and so we will be in contact shortly after the closing date to let you know the outcome of your application.