- Location(s): UK Wide
- Salary: Competitive
- Contract Type: Permanent
- Ref: R00TR00300
- Closing Date: 09 May 2021
- We're happy to consider flexible working approaches for this role
Last year more people opened an account with us than with any other brand! We have one of the highest customer satisfaction ratings in the industry and continue to be voted the UK’s most trusted financial services brand. As a Mutual Society, we’re owned by our members, not shareholders, so their needs are at the heart of everything we do, which makes working here feel different from that of ‘for-profit’ companies.
We’re now in the middle of a hugely exciting and ambitious transformation journey to evolve how the organisation approaches the design-led delivery of its products and services. Meeting the needs and expectations of our members and colleagues has never been more important. To do this effectively, we need to be free to innovate and explore new ideas, we require established brand and experience quality standards, and we need to be nimble enough to move at pace, learn and pivot with confidence.
We’d love for you to come and join us and help us on this journey…
As our name suggests, here in Service & Experience Design (S&ED), we’re responsible for defining, designing, and delivering frictionless, useful experiences that help our members manage their money and look after what matters to them in life. We research, we iterate, we craft, we strive – and we do it all to make sure our members have experiences that are memorable, for all the right reasons, on every channel.
Nationwide is committed to the redeployment of our employees impacted by change, as such applications for redeployment candidates will be prioritised in this recruitment process.
We’re looking for an experienced, talented UI Design Manager to join our expanding S&ED team, providing in-house design expertise and true user-centered design.
You’ll be joining a team of cross-discipline leaders, helping set and maintain the quality standards of all design output across the Society. As a natural leader of people you’ll; coach positive team behaviours, provide assurance and confidence to those you lead and play your part in embedding design thinking across the Society’s way-of-working
A large part of your role will be to provide oversight and direction in shaping end-to-end experiences within cross-functional project teams. This means you will be cast to projects and initiatives, helping shape the future of Nationwide’s products and services across a variety of platforms and channels.
You’ll be the go-to person for everything UI, but you won’t be alone, you’ll be joining and supported by the broader S&ED team, as well as working with the UI Senior Manager and other UI Managers to shape the direction and delivery of any structural and cultural ambitions that you’ll collectively shape.
What’s clear to us, is that we are looking for someone with the resilience and ambition in their character that can only be obtained through the successful shaping and delivery of large programmes or initiatives, as well as leading teams of creatives. We love speaking to new people, which is why we’re keen to hear from people with new perspectives, diverse backgrounds, and richly varied experiences.
What you’ll be doing
In this pivotal role, you’ll shape design’s role across a wide range of digital projects, supporting and influencing senior stakeholders, and championing customer experience design across the business. Comfortable leading projects, you’ll make sure we get the right design in the right place at the right time.
- You’ll be working with cross-functional teams, ranging from User Experience Designers, Content Designers, and Engineers, to Product Owners, Delivery Leads, and Product SMEs.
- You’ll be working to an agile delivery methodology, working through all the stages of Design Thinking, from Empathise to Implement.
- You’ll be involved in customer research to uncover the issues our members and colleagues are facing, instrumental in identifying opportunities and shape the direction of new experiences.
- You’ll be accountable for consistency, creativity, and design integrity whilst upholding and contributing to the Nationwide Experience Language (NEL).
- You will ensure our experience standards and service principles are adhered to at all times, continuously monitoring their effectiveness and identifying opportunities to improve them.
- You’ll have a voice and share your opinions and experiences, driving up the quality and craft in everything you and those around you do.
- You’ll be representing our brand, making sure the distinctiveness of our brand is applied appropriately and consistently across member touchpoints.
- You’ll be leading and mentoring your direct reports and a wider team of creatives. You’ll share your knowledge and experience in ways that create a positive, sharing culture where your team is continually encouraged to develop their expertise.
- And finally… you’ll represent the business as a respected SME at events throughout our business, as well as at relevant external events.
- You have been successfully leading in-house or agency design teams, built on the foundations of at least 7-9 years in a UI Design or Product Design role.
- You’ll be able to show experience researching and crafting design-led experiences in a fast-paced environment.
- You’ll be someone who has significant experience in designing experiences across a variety of products and services.
- You’ll have a detailed knowledge of visual, interface, and interaction design, with the ability to use the appropriate methods, activities, and tools to create delightful experiences.
- You’ll possess the ability to bring ideas to life in different ways – we like to realise ideas at speed and have a culture that supports rapid and iterative creation.
- Your strong attention to detail and keenness to deliver exemplar experiences is what drives you.
- You are comfortable taking ownership of the decisions you make and the actions you take.
- You’ll be able to identify opportunities and think strategically across areas like; experiences creation, experience delivery, design operations, through to team culture and development.
- You’ll have the ability to share your design capabilities with those around you and be comfortable with the responsibility of developing more junior members of the team.
- You’ll be a natural storyteller, presenting your ideas and opinions in a thoughtful and engaging way.
- You’ll bring a solid understanding of Design Systems and the experience of using and developing one.
- You’ll be keen to get involved with cross-discipline leaders; shaping the team structure, developing the culture, and setting the standards surrounding methods and craft.
Experiences that are beneficial
- Working in the financial services, eCommerce, or within the public sector.
- Experience applying UX method – testing, mapping, etc.
- An understanding of Accessibility and a passion for designing accessible experiences.
- Experience in Native design and/or Web application/system design.
The extras you’ll get
Our people’s success isn’t based on how long they spend at their desk. While you’ll have contracted hours, we want to offer a flexible environment where possible. That might be working from home, logging on from other offices across the UK, or working part time or compressed hours.
We’ve let you know about the flexibility available for this role at the start of the advert. This means you can quickly decide if it suits how you’d like to work.
There are all sorts of employee benefits available at Nationwide, including:
- A personal pension – if you put in 7% of your salary, we’ll top up by a further 16%
- Up to 2 days of paid volunteering a year
- Life assurance worth 8x your salary
- A great selection of additional benefits through our salary sacrifice scheme
- Access to an annual performance related bonus
- Access to training to help you develop and progress your career
Why work at Nationwide
We’re a building society founded by ordinary people, our members, who came together to help each other get the most from their money, buy homes and save for their futures. For over 130 years, we’ve supported each other and our communities, and we’ve done the right thing for wider society too.
If you come to work here at Nationwide, you’ll be part of that. Part of something a bit different. And something really quite special.
What’s more, we have a strong ethic of care for each other and our members. We recognise that our employees feel most appreciated when their thoughts and values are respected and considered. We’re committed to creating a culture that recognises and truly values our individual differences and identities. So if you’d like to be a part of an inclusive workplace where you can be yourself, where your talents are nurtured, and you feel empowered to contribute, then please apply and help us in building society, nationwide.
What to do next
If this role is for you, please click the ‘Apply Now’ button. You’ll need to attach your up to date CV and answer a few quick questions for us.
We respond to everyone, and so we will be in contact shortly after the closing date to let you know the outcome of your application.