Red Hat Linux Infrastructure Engineer
Red Hat Linux Infrastructure Engineer
- Location(s): UK Wide
- Salary: Competitive
- Contract Type: Permanent
- Ref: R00TR00331
- Closing Date: 12 May 2021
- We're happy to consider flexible and part-time working approaches for this role
As a Linux Infrastructure Engineer you will be working in delivery teams building and maintaining Linux platforms to provide strong business solutions. You will be involved at all stages from Design, build, configure, test and support. Ongoing training is important and the opportunity to increase skills in technologies such as Ansible and Openshift is encouraged. As a part of this role you will join our Linux community to share ideas and collaborate with other professional Linux/Unix engineers.
At Nationwide we openly put our 15 million members at the centre of every decision we make as a business. Every role, no matter what it’s doing, is member focused.
Your success isn’t based on how long you spend at your desk. You’ll have contracted hours, but we’re always happy to support flexible working wherever we can. That might mean working from home or different Nationwide offices or agreeing a working pattern to help you balance work and life. We will always strive to find a way that works for everyone.
If we receive a high volume of relevant applications, we may close the advert earlier than the advertised date, so please apply as soon as you can.
What you’ll be doing
Working within the delivery teams you will work collaboratively with others to build the best solution for Nationwide using your team leadership skills and SME knowledge to offer advice/consultancy, build systems and work through problems to provide solid working solutions within the RHEL Linux space. Providing guidance and direction to less experienced Engineers to help create fit for purpose designs and/or solutions to meet the team objectives.
You may be required to work on-call from time to time.
You will have a proven track record in providing technical delivery through the design, build and implementation of Red Hat Linux (or other Unix environment)
You will have in depth knowledge & experience of the following:
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux System Administration
- Managing RHEL systems within a Red Hat focused standard operating environment using Red Hat Satellite including subscription management, system build and patching and customisation via Puppet or Ansible.
- Shell Scripting
- Be comfortable working across multiple projects and immersing yourself in a team
- Be ready to share your expertise with our emerging talent
- Build good working relationships with both technical and business stakeholders, gaining their respect and trust based on your knowledge and professionalism
- Ansible and/or Ansible Tower
- Have the ability and desire to quickly learn new technologies.
- Comfortable with a DevOps way of working
Knowledge and Experience of the following areas will be beneficial:
- RHCSA and/or RHCE certification
- Red Hat OpenShift / Core OS
- Solaris or AIX Unix sysadmin
- Red Hat Performance Co-Pilot (PCP)
- Network and infrastructure security concepts
- Agile project management methodologies
- Regulatory environments such as PCI and GDPR
- Working with 3rd parties / suppliers
- Experience with DevOps tools such as Terraform and Packer
We’re also interested in who you are as a person. Why? Because our membership is made up of so many different kinds of people, so we want our employees to be just as diverse. We’d love to hear about:
- Your values, and what makes you who you are
- How you’d make a difference to our members in this role
We know applying for jobs can sometimes feel like you’re sending an application into a black hole. We review each application individually. So, it’s a good idea to call out your most relevant experience on your application to give yourself the best chance.
The extras you’ll get
Our people’s success isn’t based on how long they spend at their desk. While you’ll have contracted hours, we want to offer a flexible environment where possible. That might be working from home, logging on from other offices across the UK, or working part time or compressed hours.
We’ve let you know about the flexibility available for this role at the start of the advert. This means you can quickly decide if it suits how you’d like to work.
- A personal pension – if you put in 7% of your salary, we’ll top up by a further 16%
- Up to 2 days of paid volunteering a year
- Life assurance worth 8x your salary
- A great selection of additional benefits through our salary sacrifice scheme
- Access to an annual performance related bonus
- Access to training to help you develop and progress your career
- 25 days holiday
- London location allowance - £4,687 per annum
Why work at Nationwide
We’re a building society founded by ordinary people, our members, who came together to help each other get the most from their money, buy homes and save for their futures. For over 130 years, we’ve supported each other and our communities, and we’ve done the right thing for wider society too.
If you come to work here at Nationwide, you’ll be part of that. Part of something a bit different. Something really quite special.
What’s more, we have a strong ethic of care for each other and our members. We recognise that our employees feel most appreciated when their thoughts and values are respected and considered. We’re committed to creating a culture that recognises and truly values our individual differences and identities. So if you’d like to be a part of an inclusive workplace where you can be yourself, where your talents are nurtured and you feel empowered to contribute, then please apply and help us in building society. Nationwide.
What to do next
If this role is for you, please click the ‘Apply Now’ button. You’ll need to attach your up to date CV and answer a few quick questions for us.
We respond to everyone, and so we will be in contact shortly after the closing date to let you know the outcome of your application.