Lead Cloud Engineer
Lead Cloud Engineer
- Location(s): UK Wide
- Salary: Competitive
- Contract Type: Permanent
- Ref: R00TR00335
- Closing Date: 12 May 2021
We are looking for a Lead Engineer for one of our digital hubs helping define and create member-focused experiences.
Nationwide has invested £1.2b in IT transformation, so it’s never been a more exciting time to join. Building high performing teams plays a huge part in this transformation, which is why we need a skilled Lead Engineer to work within our Every Day Banking teams.
At Nationwide we openly put our 15 million members at the centre of every decision we make as a business. Every role, no matter what it’s doing, is member focused.
- If we receive a high volume of relevant applications, we may close the advert earlier than the advertised date, so please apply as soon as you can.
- We are open to receiving applicants from across the UK as we offer remote working and the option to work out of any of our admin centres across the UK
- You may be required to work on-call on the rare occasion.
What you’ll be doing
You’ll be the Lead Engineer providing technical direction within the Every Day Banking Team working with the Technology Lead.
We’re looking for both technical depth and the ability to influence others.
We want someone who can build technical excellence within a team, and add their expertise to our current, and to-be estates.
We are looking for someone with the following skills
- Strong technical background in software design/development
- Experience of designing/developing microservices or event driven architectures
- Experience of working within a DevOps environment and an understanding of CI and CD pipelines and test automation
- An understanding of resilience, performance and security engineering techniques
- Proven capability in defining innovative solutions to complex technical challenges, balancing strategic alignment with on-time delivery and business impact
- Ability to lead and inspire technical teams, which includes a mix of Nationwide and partner resource, through periods of ambiguity
- Strong stakeholder management skills
- Experience in leading technical teams and making decisions through periods of ambiguity
- Proven ability to work with Architecture and senior stakeholders in multiple business areas to agree solution constraints and opportunities
- Proven ability to be accountable for engineering decisions within a technical environment
- Strong understanding of the development lifecycle and experience of working under waterfall and Agile development methodologies
Experience of the following:
- NoSQL data layers such as MongoDB
- Containerisation technologies such as Docker and Kubernetes
- Cloud services, such as AWS, Azure or Google Cloud
- Event driven architecture design using tools such as Kafka
- API-driven and microservices-based architectures
- DevOps tooling (such as Jenkins, Artifactory, Selenium, Veracode, JMeter etc.)
- If you don’t have experience in these areas, they are technologies in which you will be able to develop your skills.
We’re also interested in who you are as a person. Why? Because our membership is made up of so many different kinds of people, so we want our employees to be just as diverse. We’d love to hear about:
- Your values, and what makes you who you are
- How you’d make a difference to our members in this role
We know applying for jobs can sometimes feel like you’re sending an application into a black hole. We review each application individually. So, it’s a good idea to call out your most relevant experience on your application to give yourself the best chance.
The extras you’ll get
There are all sorts of employee benefits available at Nationwide, including:
- A personal pension – if you put in 7% of your salary, we’ll top up by a further 16%
- Up to 2 days of paid volunteering a year
- Life assurance worth 8x your salary
- A great selection of additional benefits through our salary sacrifice scheme
- Access to an annual performance related bonus
- Access to training to help you develop and progress your career
- 30 days holiday
- Status car allowance - £4656 per annum
- Individual healthcare cover
Why work at Nationwide
We’re a building society founded by ordinary people, our members, who came together to help each other get the most from their money, buy homes and save for their futures. For over 130 years, we’ve supported each other and our communities, and we’ve done the right thing for wider society too.
If you come to work here at Nationwide, you’ll be part of that. Part of something a bit different. And something really quite special.
What’s more, we have a strong ethic of care for each other and our members. We recognise that our employees feel most appreciated when their thoughts and values are respected and considered. We’re committed to creating a culture that recognises and truly values our individual differences and identities. So, if you’d like to be a part of an inclusive workplace where you can be yourself, where your talents are nurtured, and you feel empowered to contribute, then please apply and help us in building society, nationwide.
What to do next
If this role is for you, please click the ‘Apply Now’ button. You’ll need to attach your up to date CV and answer a few quick questions for us. We’d also like to see a portfolio of some of your work.
We respond to everyone, so we will be in contact shortly after the closing date to let you know the outcome of your application. If it’s already been defined please provide an overview of the assessment process and a timeline of when assessments will be.