Senior Architect - Security
Senior Architect - Security
- Location(s): UK Wide
- Salary: £54,231 - £88,126
- Contract Type: Permanent
- Ref: R00TR00347
- Closing Date: 16 May 2021
- We're happy to consider flexible working approaches for this role
We’re currently navigating significant and ambitious change at Nationwide, the world’s largest building society. It’s an exciting time as we evolve to a new future that sees us accelerate delivery of value to our 15 million Members and engage colleagues around new ways of working.
A lot of this change involves significant technology shifts and ways of working. Cloud is a significant part of that Change. This represents an interesting challenge for a Senior Security Architect, who will join the team and help to develop our technology strategy; own security products; lead in the development of architecture artefacts; develop new agile ways of working for our security solution architects and security engineers; and support the delivery of both complex and agile solutions across our business portfolio.
Enterprise Security Technology, the practice you will be joining, is at the core of Nationwide’s security architecture and engineering thinking. As a senior member of the team, you will be responsible for engaging across the domains to understand the business objectives and to help articulate their security needs. You will also be responsible for looking over the horizon to understand where Nationwide should be going and help to identify suitable enterprise security objectives and roadmaps to get us there.
You also need to be a self-starter, who can influence key stakeholders, communicate effectively across domains, and lead in the delivery of our Enterprise Security Architecture.
If we receive a high volume of relevant applications, we may close the advert earlier than the advertised date, so please apply as soon as you can.
What you’ll be doing
You will be working in a multi-disciplinary high-performance team developing our security architecture. A lot of your work is going to be around the development of strategy, roadmaps, transition states, delivery T-shirt sizing; developing architecture artefacts and guardrails (Reference architectures, principles, standards, patterns, etc.).
You are not going to be developing the architecture in isolation. You will also have to work across domains with many stakeholders to ensure that you and your team’s work is contributing to the bigger picture rather acting as an ivory tower.
In addition to this, you are a security subject matter expert. You will also be engaging projects and programmes to help them solve complex security problems and ensure that they are able to demonstrate compliance to Nationwide’s security policies.
Needless to say, being a self-starter and having strong time-management and prioritisation skills is going to be important in this role.
We would like to see good architecture experience in one or more of the following:
• Strong knowledge or experience of Enterprise Security Architecture policies, standards, principles, controls and frameworks (e.g. NIST).
• Strong understanding of Cloud security (preferably AWS and Azure).
• Knowledge of SaaS Cloud security and experience in delivering security in this space.
• Strong knowledge and experience of federated identity access management.
• Demonstratable experience of developing and maintaining architecture artefacts / guardrails.
• Leadership – as you may oversee a few solution architects and / or engineers for both line-management and task management duties and you may be tasking other resources on projects.
• A strong understanding of security of microservices, containerization, API and security-automation and orchestration (Docker, OpenShift, Kubernetes, Jenkins, CI/CD, Terraform).
Experience regarding the role of the Senior Architect in planning and delivery, these are the kinds of experience we would like to see from you:
• Experience of defining strategies, standards and best practices.
• Developing and implementing technology roadmaps.
• Experience designing and architecting security solutions.
• Knowledge of implementing change across traditional datacentre environments and Cloud (Hybrid Cloud).
• Experience offering architectural advice, consultancy and thought leadership on how to secure systems and services, both within our datacentres and in the Cloud.
• Leadership, work prioritisation and time management is also very important. You will need to have a lot of experience juggling priorities
• A lot of your day is going to be taken up with meetings, but you will also be expected to deliver. So good experience in
The extras you’ll get
• A personal pension – if you put in 7% of your salary, we’ll top up by a further 16%
• Up to 2 days of paid volunteering a year
• Life assurance worth 8x your salary
• A great selection of additional benefits through our salary sacrifice scheme
• Access to an annual performance related bonus
• Access to training to help you develop and progress your career
• 25/30 days holiday (30 for L3 and above), pro rata
• Status car allowance - £4,656 per annum
• Individual healthcare cover
Why work at Nationwide
We’re a building society founded by ordinary people, our members, who came together to help each other get the most from their money, buy homes and save for their futures. For over 130 years, we’ve supported each other and our communities, and we’ve done the right thing for wider society too.
If you come to work here at Nationwide, you’ll be part of that. Part of something a bit different. And something really quite special.
What’s more, we have a strong ethic of care for each other and our members. We recognise that our employees feel most appreciated when their thoughts and values are respected and considered. We’re committed to creating a culture that recognises and truly values our individual differences and identities. So, if you’d like to be a part of an inclusive workplace where you can be yourself, where your talents are nurtured, and you feel empowered to contribute, then please apply and help us in building society, nationwide.
What to do next
If this role is for you, please click the ‘Apply Now’ button. You’ll need to attach your up to date CV and answer a few quick questions for us.
We respond to everyone, so we will be in contact shortly after the closing date to let you know the outcome of your application.