Security Engineering Lead
Security Engineering Lead
- Location(s): UK Wide
- Salary: Competitive
- Contract Type: Permanent
- Ref: R00TR00362
- Closing Date: 02 July 2021
- We're happy to consider flexible working approaches for this role
Are you a security engineering lead looking to work with diverse, cutting-edge, cloud-based technologies, industry leading vendors and across different internal teams?
Are you good at working with consumers with wide-ranging levels of experience of cloud, sometimes helping to explain the right approach and sometimes applying pragmatism to help them reach their goals? Are you able to defend cloud controls, offer flexibility where possible, and all the time maintain good working relationships in a truly diverse working environment?
Do you have a proven track record in providing technical leadership through the design, build and implementation of complex security solutions?
Do you relish working across multiple change initiatives, core platforms and immersing yourself in a team that will stretch and test you?
You will lead the technical engineering in our Cloud Security Operations team, which provides design, build and production support for the shared security services we offer on our public cloud platforms. You will provide strong technical leadership, contribute to platform wide strategic decisions and enable technical decisions to be made with confidence and at pace.
Nationwide is undergoing a digital transformation journey; our cloud adoption is presenting opportunities for improving our overall security posture by baking security into everything we do.
For us, it’s not just about having the right security and engineering background, you need to be pragmatic, be able to work collaboratively, to lead and be driven to learn and succeed.
What you’ll be doing
Working in partnership with our Cloud Ops team, you will:
- Support and continuously enhance our existing security services for Cloud.
- Identify new security services that are or will be required.
- Provide technical leadership at all stages of the delivery lifecycle, including consultancy to stakeholders
- Identify and implement technically complex designs and/or environment solutions to meet the Security control directives
- Lead the work of the security engineering team, relying on your technical knowledge to create efficiencies and give appropriate direction
- Capture and share knowledge and ensuring use of documentation within engineering teams
- Drive decisions and remove blockers to drive forward implementation of technical artefacts
- Manage security backlog and contribute to prioritisation and delivery planning
- Provide security metrics and KPIs to the Security leadership team on a regular basis
In addition, you will:
- Contribute to the creation and ongoing maintenance of security engineering principles, patterns and standards to reflect best practice and effective use within the organisation
- Build a network including external relationships with other engineers/SMEs to understand good practice and emerging trends within engineering
- Act as an engineering advocate across Nationwide, identifying good practices to adopt and sharing experiences, e.g.: through blog posts, tech talks at technical forums, knowledge share, etc.
- Develop capability of security engineering team by supporting recruitment and pipeline talent development, through coaching and mentoring
As a minimum you’ll:
- Have in depth understanding of securing cloud platforms (AWS, Azure, GCP).
- Good understanding of securing containerisation technology (Docker, Kubernetes)
- Good understanding of DevOps tooling (GitHub, Jenkins, Nexus, Ansible, etc.)
- Have a strong knowledge of access management, vulnerability management, secure remote access, secrets management in a cloud environment.
- Be ready to share your expertise with our emerging talent
- Build good working relationships with both technical and business stakeholders, gaining their respect and trust based on your knowledge and professionalism
- Have excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Have the ability and desire to quickly learn new technologies.
- Have experience of technical leadership of security engineering teams.
Experience and knowledge of the following areas would be beneficial:
- Cloud Security qualification such as CCSP or CCSK.
- Working knowledge of CASB technologies.
- Practical, hands-on experience in security technologies
- Applying security in Agile environments
- Scheme and regulatory environments such as PCI DSS and GDPR
- Working with 3rd parties / suppliers
- Hands-on experience with the design, deployment, configuration of cloud technologies.
The extras you’ll get
There are all sorts of employee benefits available at Nationwide, including:
- A personal pension – if you put in 7% of your salary, we’ll top up by a further 16%
- Up to 2 days of paid volunteering a year
- Life assurance worth 8x your salary
- A great selection of additional benefits through our salary sacrifice scheme
- Access to an annual performance related bonus
- Access to training to help you develop and progress your career
- 30 days holiday
- Car allowance
- Individual healthcare cover
Why work at Nationwide
We’re a building society founded by ordinary people, our members, who came together to help each other get the most from their money, buy homes and save for their futures. For over 130 years, we’ve supported each other and our communities, and we’ve done the right thing for wider society too.
If you come to work here at Nationwide, you’ll be part of that. Part of something a bit different. And something really quite special.
What’s more, we have a strong ethic of care for each other and our members. We recognise that our employees feel most appreciated when their thoughts and values are respected and considered. We’re committed to creating a culture that recognises and truly values our individual differences and identities. So, if you’d like to be a part of an inclusive workplace where you can be yourself, where your talents are nurtured, and you feel empowered to contribute, then please apply and help us in building society, nationwide.
What to do next
If this role is for you, please click the ‘Apply Now’ button. You’ll need to attach your up to date CV and answer a few quick questions for us.
We respond to everyone, so we will be in contact shortly after the closing date to let you know the outcome of your application.