Cloud Platform Engineer
Cloud Platform Engineer
- Location(s): UK Wide
- Salary: Competitive
- Contract Type: Permanent
- Ref: R00TR00391
- Closing Date: 31 October 2021
- We're happy to consider flexible working approaches for this role
We invest in our Engineers to ensure we create “T” shaped engineers & retain the skills within the organisation.
We are looking for demonstrated hands on experience in AWS where you will have skills as an Infrastructure Platform Engineer VIA Infrastructure as code implemented using code and CI/CD pipeline for automated deployments.
Part of Nationwide’s exciting and growing team of Cloud Operations Site Reliability Engineers (SRE) you’ll be a recognised Cloud Operations SRE expert. Responsible for the delivery of Cloud Operations technical solutions for assigned projects/programmes/squads and for providing consultancy and support services as required.
As part of the IT Operations and Service Delivery community and working within our Cloud Centre of Excellence, we are looking for talented people with the ability to act like a Developer and think like a Systems Operator.
If we receive a high volume of relevant applications, we may close the advert earlier than the advertised date, so please apply as soon as you can
What you’ll be doing
As a core member of the team responsible for the reliability, availability and performance of our cloud platforms and services that underpin Nationwide.
- Lead architectural & design with regards to the operational reliability of NBS cloud platforms
- Take the charge in building and managing scalable, self-healing, globally distributed cloud platforms
- Collaborate with architecture, security, engineering teams and the wider Cloud Centre of Excellence to set up best in class cloud platforms and subsequently provide guidance on their consumption
- Work with development and feature squads to ensure the reliability of future projects and programmes
- Proactively seek opportunities to drive efficiency, automation and cost reduction by automating manual and repetitive tasks
- Develop features and codified artefacts for platform improvements leveraging automation and infrastructure as code
You are not expected to have skills in all areas but must show a passion to learn and develop.
- Cloud – Azure or AWS, IAM, Load balancers, Application Gateways, Express route/direct connect, Network security groups, policies, storage, Palo Alto, Hashicorp Vault, Luminate
- Containers – AKS, EKS, Kubernetes, Openshift 4, Docker
- Code – Terraform, Powershell, Bash, Azure CLI, ARM, Packer, Ansible
- CI/CD – Git/Github, Azure Devops
- Hands on experience automating the deployment and monitoring of services in Public Cloud
- Experience in design and implementing cloud platforms for elasticity and scalability
- Propose and develop architectural decisions that minimise and optimise infrastructure cost
- Hands on experience in infrastructure as code and post deployment configuration management using tools such as Terraform, ARM, DSC, Puppet, Chef, Ansible etc.
- Understanding of continuous deployment using CI/CD tools like Jenkins, SCM (Git, SVN)
- Experience in making changes to production & live systems ensuing service uptime adhering to SDLC best practices
- Experienced with running Docker, Kubernetes and Cloud native development frameworks (Serverless & PaaS) in Production
- Solid understanding of core network protocols and services (TCP/IP, DNS)
- In depth expertise in system administration including configuration and troubleshooting
- Deep understanding of IAM roles and policies
- Ability to analyse network behaviour, performance and application issues using standard tools
- Experienced with database and replication methodologies
- Experience with distributed systems design, maintenance, disaster recovery, updates required
- Understanding of Security Groups and Network Access Control Lists
The extras you’ll get
There are all sorts of employee benefits available at Nationwide, including:
- A personal pension – if you put in 7% of your salary, we’ll top up by a further 16%
- Up to 2 days of paid volunteering a year
- Life assurance worth 8x your salary
- A great selection of additional benefits through our salary sacrifice scheme
- Access to an annual performance related bonus
- Access to training to help you develop and progress your career
- 25 days holiday
Why work at Nationwide
We’re a building society founded by ordinary people, our members, who came together to help each other get the most from their money, buy homes and save for their futures. For over 130 years, we’ve supported each other and our communities, and we’ve done the right thing for wider society too.
If you come to work here at Nationwide, you’ll be part of that. Part of something a bit different. And something really quite special.
What’s more, we have a strong ethic of care for each other and our members. We recognise that our employees feel most appreciated when their thoughts and values are respected and considered. We’re committed to creating a culture that recognises and truly values our individual differences and identities. So, if you’d like to be a part of an inclusive workplace where you can be yourself, where your talents are nurtured, and you feel empowered to contribute, then please apply and help us in building society, nationwide.
What to do next
If this role is for you, please click the ‘Apply Now’ button. You’ll need to attach your up to date CV and answer a few quick questions for us.
We respond to everyone, so we will be in contact shortly after the closing date to let you know the outcome of your application.