Infrastructure Test Engineer – Mainframe
Infrastructure Test Engineer – Mainframe
- Location(s): UK Wide
- Salary: £42,370 - £61,201
- Contract Type: Permanent
- Ref: R00TR00454
- Closing Date: 30 September 2021
- We're happy to consider flexible working approaches for this role
Nationwide is investing £1.2b in IT transformation, so it’s never been a more exciting time to join. Building high performing teams plays a huge part in this transformation, which is why we need skilled Test Engineers to join our new Test Engineering Centre of excellence.
We need high-performing individuals to accelerate our test engineering transformation, embedding test solutions which ensure the Society has built the right products & services to the right quality, evidencing the change delivers the agreed outcomes.
Your success isn’t based on how long you spend at your desk. You’ll have contracted hours, but we’re always happy to support flexible working wherever we can. That might mean working from home or different Nationwide offices or agreeing a working pattern to help you balance work and life. We will always strive to find a way that works for everyone.
If we receive a high volume of relevant applications, we may close the advert earlier than the advertised date, so please apply as soon as you can.
What you’ll be doing
This role will provide the opportunity to work with some cutting-edge technologies and industry leading vendors. For us, it’s not just about having the right technical background, you need to have an open mind, be able to work collaboratively and be driven to learn and succeed.
Joining the Test Engineering Centre of Excellence and reporting to an Engineering Manager, you will work within a development squad, becoming involved in quality in all elements of the Software Development Lifecycle.
You will be responsible for the creation and delivery of test outcomes through the implementation of quality testing solutions aligned to proven patterns.
Working in your development team you will adopt best practice and automation in the testing of complex strategic IT initiatives alongside smaller deliveries and provide technical leadership enabling decisions to be made with confidence and at pace
You may be required to work on call from time to time.
We are looking for a Senior Test Engineer who will work within a community of multi skilled teams to create and execute testing solutions including automation frameworks for platform and infrastructure solutions
We need someone with:
- Testing and quality expertise including:
- Structured test techniques to derive appropriate test coverage and drive efficiency in test
- Functional and/or Non-functional testing
- Appropriate certification in test methods and practices e.g. ISTQB/ISEB, CAT, Practitioner in Agile Quality
- Understand and implemented appropriate test approaches for various platform technologies, proving infrastructure, be that on prem, or in the cloud
- Knowledge and experience of End to End software development cycles including:
- Experience of working in collaborative and agile teams
- Understanding of traditional, waterfall development modes
- Production of test evidence and associated artefacts to support quality
- Technical expertise including:
- knowledge of platform upgrades (inc. mainframe technologies)
- Knowledge of databases and expertise in structured querying to support testing.
You should also be able to demonstrate:
- Good verbal and written communication
- Ability to Implement automation first approach targeting appropriate strategies for robust and repeatable automation and the appropriate exploratory / manual testing of change
- The ability to consider the business impact of technical changes and make risk assessments
- A track record in fault analysis, diagnosis and resolution
You might also have:
- Tools such as UFT, Selenium, SOAP UI/Ready API, Eggplant, Saucelabs, Browsertack, ARD, JIRA, TFS, GIT, Cucumber
- DevOps principles, practices and tools such as
- Experience in pairing for Test Driven Development (TDD)
- worked within team practicing Behaviour and Feature Driven Development (BDD, FDD)
- Continuous Integration, Continuous Deployment pipelines
- Jenkins, Docker, Puppet, Kubernetes
- Testing experience of Microservices/API platforms
- Multi browser and device testing
- Accessibility and usability techniques
- Experience of exploratory test techniques
We’re also interested in who you are as a person. Why? Because our membership is made up of so many different kinds of people, so we want our employees to be just as diverse. We’d love to hear about:
- Your values, and what makes you who you are
- How you’d make a difference to our members in this role
We know applying for jobs can sometimes feel like you’re sending an application into a black hole. We review each application individually. So, it’s a good idea to call out your most relevant experience on your application to give yourself the best chance.
The extras you’ll get
Our people’s success isn’t based on how long they spend at their desk. While you’ll have contracted hours, we want to offer a flexible environment where possible. That might be working from home, logging on from other offices across the UK, or working part time or compressed hours.
We’ve let you know about the flexibility available for this role at the start of the advert. This means you can quickly decide if it suits how you’d like to work.
There are all sorts of employee benefits available at Nationwide, including:
• A personal pension – if you put in 7% of your salary, we’ll top up by a further 16%
• Up to 2 days of paid volunteering a year
• Life assurance worth 8x your salary
• A great selection of additional benefits through our salary sacrifice scheme
• Access to an annual performance related bonus
• Access to training to help you develop and progress your career
• 25 days holiday
Why work at Nationwide
We’re a building society founded by ordinary people, our members, who came together to help each other get the most from their money, buy homes and save for their futures. For over 130 years, we’ve supported each other and our communities, and we’ve done the right thing for wider society too.
If you come to work here at Nationwide, you’ll be part of that. Part of something a bit different. Something really quite special.
What’s more, we have a strong ethic of care for each other and our members. We recognise that our employees feel most appreciated when their thoughts and values are respected and considered. We’re committed to creating a culture that recognises and truly values our individual differences and identities. So if you’d like to be a part of an inclusive workplace where you can be yourself, where your talents are nurtured and you feel empowered to contribute, then please apply and help us in building society. Nationwide.