- Location(s): UK Wide
- Salary: Competitive
- Contract Type: Permanent
- Ref: R00TR00484
- Closing Date: 11 July 2021
- We're happy to consider flexible working approaches for this role
We are looking for a passionate, highly skilled and experienced Cloud Architect. As part of the Chief Technology Office, you will be responsible for Cloud Platforms, Products and Solutions being driven out of the Cloud group, working as a key member of the Cloud Adoption Team, within the Cloud Enablement function. More importantly you’ll be working alongside other members of the team and across the group to facilitate Nationwide business groups in their journey to Cloud, helping them realise the cloud elements of our technology strategy, sharing passion and enthusiasm to change our existing estate to benefit our members and colleagues.
If we receive a high volume of relevant applications, we may close the advert earlier than the advertised date, so please apply as soon as you can.
What you’ll be doing
In our Cloud group, Cloud Platform build, deploy, scale and maintain company-wide platforms for cloud solutions, whilst Cloud Enablement provide a front door to Nationwide business Consumers, in particular facilitating demand from a technical, process, governance perspective . By defining and applying the right controls we are able to increase our adoption of cloud services and transform our hosting estate.
The Product SME is a role that works closely with Cloud Platform Product Ownership, Architecture, and Engineering teams, and the wider CTO function, to provide expertise in the products, particularly where a Consumer believes their use case or capability need is not met by the existing Cloud offering.
The Product SME is focused on aligning Consumer needs to existing products however, where that need is an agreed gap, they will support the wider team (Consumer, Technical Analyst, Lead Architect, and Product Owner) in identifying the appropriate enhancement or new product.
The Product SME will be responsible for maintaining strong relationships with the Cloud Platform Feature Teams, Product Owners and Engineering Leads to reduce the need for direct Consumer engagements with these teams and to directly provide feedback from the Consumer and their development teams. They will also have a responsibility to educate the wider Cloud Adoption team in the evolving Products and Capabilities to enhance the teams understanding and maturity.
You will need deep cloud technical skills so you can collaborate and support your architecture, technical, operational and delivery colleagues. It is important you ensure that the society is adopting good cloud design approaches, and that our cloud solutions align with our guardrails which underpin the Nationwide Technology and Cloud Strategies.
You need to have the skills, experience and knowledge to provide solid technical leadership to Nationwide business Consumers and Cloud teams . You will build close relationships with these Consumers & teams and be able to jump in and provide practical guidance, grounded in real world experience, as necessary.
Enjoy the responsibility and autonomy of a role that showcases your technical, organisational and personal skills while making a real difference to our cloud adoption journey! A typical week might include some of the following:
- Supporting Nationwide business Consumers in realising their journey to Cloud, through scheduled & ad-hoc Consumer interactions, i.e. standups, workshops, cadence reviews, etc
- Building, developing, and maintaining strong relationships, and sphere of influence, with both Consumer and Cloud teams
- Providing education, both informal & formal, to Consumers on the adoption of cloud and architecture best practices
- Supporting Consumers governing their technical solutions within both Cloud and the wider CTO function
- Establishing and maintaining a clear understanding of Cloud Platform product, whilst influencing development of that product based upon Consumer needs
- Sharing cloud design good practices and approaches with technical stakeholder teams
- Architectural, design, implementation, and/or consulting experience with leading cloud technologies and public cloud vendors (preferably AWS, or Azure, GCP)
- Have a strong knowledge of cloud connectivity across multi-cloud environments
- Possess a good understanding of data and its importance in cloud architecture and solutions
- Be able to demonstrate experience working with cloud related technologies in similar environments (ideally regulated but not essential)
- Solid understanding of traditional infrastructure and application architecture domains
- Strong stakeholder management – building relationships, influencing, and communicating effectively at all levels within the Cloud area, and across external Consumers within the business
- Have great presentation skills that you are happy using with audiences of both a non-technical and technical nature, or varying levels of understanding, across Cloud and external Consumers within the business
- An understanding of automation and methodologies, tools and how they can be applied
- Knowledge of cloud security tools, techniques and approaches
- Knowledge of container management and orchestration tools
- Show passion for new technologies and want to learn quickly
It would be nice if you also had:
- Pre-sales consulting experience, and more specifically, for cloud product set
- Certified in at least one public cloud technology (preferably AWS, or Azure, GCP)
- Have worked on successful cloud adoption programmes leading the solution definition for net-new and legacy platforms
- Have experience in the following
- Application of automation and methodologies, and associated tools
- Cloud security tools, techniques, and approaches
- Container management and orchestration tools
- Strong DevOps knowledge
- Knowledge and experience in implementing RBAC solutions for cloud products incl. integration with AAD
- Other qualities or experience that will make you really successful in this role!
The extras you’ll get
There are all sorts of employee benefits available at Nationwide, including:
- A personal pension – if you put in 7% of your salary, we’ll top up by a further 16%
- Up to 2 days of paid volunteering a year
- Life assurance worth 8x your salary
- A great selection of additional benefits through our salary sacrifice scheme
- Access to an annual performance related bonus
- Access to training to help you develop and progress your career
- 25 days holiday
Why work at Nationwide
We’re a building society founded by ordinary people, our members, who came together to help each other get the most from their money, buy homes and save for their futures. For over 130 years, we’ve supported each other and our communities, and we’ve done the right thing for wider society too.
If you come to work here at Nationwide, you’ll be part of that. Part of something a bit different. And something really quite special.
What’s more, we have a strong ethic of care for each other and our members. We recognise that our employees feel most appreciated when their thoughts and values are respected and considered. We’re committed to creating a culture that recognises and truly values our individual differences and identities. So if you’d like to be a part of an inclusive workplace where you can be yourself, where your talents are nurtured, and you feel empowered to contribute, then please apply and help us in building society, nationwide.
What to do next
If this role is for you, please click the ‘Apply Now’ button. You’ll need to attach your up to date CV and answer a few quick questions for us. We’d also like to see a portfolio of some of your work.
We respond to everyone, so we will be in contact shortly after the closing date to let you know the outcome of your application. If it’s already been defined please provide an overview of the assessment process and a timeline of when assessments will be.